Paxlovid Availability

jeroly

Dryer sheet aficionado
I would love to have a treatment course of Paxlovid at hand so that I can take it with me in my travels to use in the event of contracting Covid whilst abroad.

Anyone have a sense when I will be likely able to acquire it? I know that there will only be about 10 million doses available by June in the US...so I'm thinking not until late fall at the earliest?

(I know that availability rules would need to change in order for me to get it prescribed without my already having contracted Covid...)

Thanks and stay safe out there!

Not a medical expert but it's unlikely it will be handed out because of safety issues. Ritonavir is not a harmless compound and its' use needs to be closely supervised.

I'd ask "If omicron is all that's threatening, will you even need it?"

But there do seem to be a few people getting sick enough for the hospital with omicron, both vaccinated and not. It's strange that with all of the data collection, all we have is the comorbidities count to very roughly predict disease severity. Comorbidities increase the chance of severe disease, but even if you line up 1000 people with 5 comorbidities, maybe only 1 gets severely impacted (made-up the number for illustration, the point is it's likely you have a good chance of recovering at home, even with comorbidities).

I am hoping this new drug will ease the symptoms of covid. Even what are called mild cases can lead to some pretty uncomfortable illnesses. It does not sound fun to me.

I think having such a rare drug on hand would be the definition of hoarding. Your 5 day course kept in a medicine cabinet may deprive someone at high risk from getting the drug. Also, there are significant drug interactions between Paxlovid and common prescription medications such as some of the statins and ACE inhibitors. One can stop taking a statin for a few days, but it’s very risky to go off of BP meds.

Well, I’ve joined the club. I tested positive for Covid so I did a telehealth medical appointment. The doctor recommended Paxloid. I was a little hesitant to take it since I don’t like taking medicine, but I fear long Covid more than I fear medicine.

I will say that my telehealth visit was positive. I had used a home test to confirm Covid and I had assessed blood oxygen levels and temperature. I figured this was just the sort of situation that telehealth was made for. Telehealth would not be appropriate for someone who was extremely ill or someone who needed a diagnosis that wasn’t easily evident via telehealth.

I doubt any ethical doctor is going to prescribe Paxlovid to healthy patients. We have to review a bunch of stuff when we prescribe it. Obviously a positive COVID test is needed as well as a high risk condition to warrant treatment. We have to review meds to check for interactions. We review labs if we have them or ask about medical history if we don’t.

Nobody should have Paxlovid on hand just in case any more than you should have antibiotics or any other acute care treatments on hand.

My brother came down with Covid and because he's a Type 2 Diabetic the doctor prescribed Paxlovid. He said he got over the symptoms fairly quickly but 4-5 days after completing the treatment the symptoms came back. There have been several articles in the news recently about 'Covid rebound' for those on Paxlovid.

Last edited:
My sister and BIL got Covid a few weeks ago. Doctor put my 60 year old BIL on Paxlovid. No underlying conditions but maybe his age qualified him? My sister, 52, has high blood pressure (controlled by med) and asthma, and doc thought it best she take Paxlovid for those reasons. Sister experienced the Covid rebound, unfortunately.

They both said the worst Paxlovid side effect was how it gave them a bad taste in their mouths. BIL described it as metallic; my sis said it tasted like grapefruit rind mixed with the taste of glue from an envelope. In other words, bitter. Oh, and they were both dizzy; who knows if that was from Covid or Paxlovid.

My age, over 65, is my only risk factor. That is one reason I was hesitant to take Paxlovid…not many risk factors. In fact, I spoke with a retired physician friend before filling the prescription and he recommended that I go ahead and take the prescription since even mild cases can develop long Covid.

My sympathy to doctors…you have patients who want prescriptions when they aren’t needed and patients like me who are hesitant to take a prescription even when needed.

My sympathy to doctors…you have patients who want prescriptions when they aren’t needed and patients like me who are hesitant to take a prescription even when needed.
Welcome to my world. :LOL:

gattara; said:
They both said the worst Paxlovid side effect was how it gave them a bad taste in their mouths. BIL described it as metallic; my sis said it tasted like grapefruit rind mixed with the taste of glue from an envelope. In other words, bitter. Oh, and they were both dizzy; who knows if that was from Covid or Paxlovid.

These are the same side effects we had using Paxlovid. My wife quit taking it because the taste in her mouth was so bad. The dizziness hit me very hard. I kept a cane handy to help keep steady.

Does Paxlovid protect against long Covid? That would surprise me as even Covid cases with very mild symptoms can develop long Covid later. I hadn’t heard any news about protection from long Covid.

I think having such a rare drug on hand would be the definition of hoarding. Your 5 day course kept in a medicine cabinet may deprive someone at high risk from getting the drug. Also, there are significant drug interactions between Paxlovid and common prescription medications such as some of the statins and ACE inhibitors. One can stop taking a statin for a few days, but it’s very risky to go off of BP meds.

The drug isn’t rare at all. Pfizer and the administration are dismayed at the lack of uptake. Pfizer actually just instructed all their field sales colleagues to “educate” their customers about the utility of Paxlovid. Can’t say sell because it’s not fully approved. Still EUA, emergency use authorization. UK bought almost 3 million courses of therapy and have dispensed under 20k as of beginning of May

Well, I’ve joined the club. I tested positive for Covid so I did a telehealth medical appointment. The doctor recommended Paxloid. I was a little hesitant to take it since I don’t like taking medicine, but I fear long Covid more than I fear medicine.

I will say that my telehealth visit was positive. I had used a home test to confirm Covid and I had assessed blood oxygen levels and temperature. I figured this was just the sort of situation that telehealth was made for. Telehealth would not be appropriate for someone who was extremely ill or someone who needed a diagnosis that wasn’t easily evident via telehealth.

FIYes, so sorry to read that you've joined the club! This is one club that nobody wants to join. :( Hopefully you'll get through it with minimal symptoms. Everyone here is wishing you the best.

Thank you W2R! I know that you had a very, very bad experience with Covid. I am very fortunate to have a mild case and to be at home!

I also joined the club after travelling to/from Alaska. I went to the doc in the box and specifically asked for Paxlovid. She said she hadn't prescribed it as of yet and wasn't very sure about it (WHAT?!?!). She said the normal practice in the office was to give an anti-biotic instead. I told her I would prefer the Paxlovid and since I met the criteria, she wrote the script.

I am happy to report that I am on the last day (5 day treatment) and the only side effect was the metallic taste. I don't think it was too bad and rinsing out/drinking with water culled it quite a bit. My symptoms were nearly gone on day 2 of the treatment.

I have also read about the "rebounders" but it appears that it has occurred in 15% (or less) of users. There also seems that it *could* help against long covid, so that alone is reason enough to deal with the bad taste, IMHO.

The drug isn’t rare at all. Pfizer and the administration are dismayed at the lack of uptake. Pfizer actually just instructed all their field sales colleagues to “educate” their customers about the utility of Paxlovid. Can’t say sell because it’s not fully approved. Still EUA, emergency use authorization. UK bought almost 3 million courses of therapy and have dispensed under 20k as of beginning of May

Yep. The doc in the box I saw wasn't familiar with it at all. I had to show her the prescribing information on my phone and she had to call her supervisor to get approval. Granted, our state is on the low end (right now), but I was somewhat surprised at her not knowing anything about it.

Last edited:
I also joined the club after travelling to/from Alaska. I went to the doc in the box and specifically asked for Paxlovid. She said she hadn't prescribed it as of yet and wasn't very sure about it (WHAT?!?!). She said the normal practice in the office was to give an anti-biotic instead. I told her I would prefer the Paxlovid and since I met the criteria, she wrote the script.

I am happy to report that I am on the last day (5 day treatment) and the only side effect was the metallic taste. I don't think it was too bad and rinsing out/drinking with water culled it quite a bit. My symptoms were nearly gone on day 2 of the treatment.

I have also read about the "rebounders" but it appears that it has occurred in 15% (or less) of users. There also seems that it *could* help against long covid, so that alone is reason enough to deal with the bad taste, IMHO.

So sorry to hear that you "joined the club" too, but very happy to hear that your symptoms vanished so quickly! :D

So sorry to hear that you "joined the club" too, but very happy to hear that your symptoms vanished so quickly! :D

I would guess that being triple vaxxed doesn't hurt, either. :D And yes, I am very thankful that the symptoms were mild. I have heard too many stories of people getting very sick (much like you) and have known too many people who have died of it. I feel very fortunate.

Yep. The doc in the box I saw wasn't familiar with it at all. I had to show her the prescribing information on my phone and she had to call her supervisor to get approval. Granted, our state is on the low end (right now), but I was somewhat surprised at her not knowing anything about it.
They usually prescribe antibiotics for Covid (a virus)? That’s nuts!!!

Just be aware of Paxlovid rebound, so watch for symptoms after you finish your medication, and test again if you experience them. You may become positive again.

They usually prescribe antibiotics for Covid (a virus)? That’s nuts!!!

Just be aware of Paxlovid rebound, so watch for symptoms after you finish your medication, and test again if you experience them. You may become positive again.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised at the suggestion of an antibiotic. I am also familiar with the "rebound" but hopefully I won't be in the 15%'ish that have experienced that. :D

To continue the anecdotal data...DW tested positive May 5 and picked up the last remaining Paxlovid Rx at the nearest Kroger Little Clinic the following morning.

By then, she was experiencing all the usual Covid symptoms including loss of taste, headache, fever, cough, fatigue, etc. Despite being triple vaxed.

She did not notice any improvement in symptoms until day 3. Paradoxically, she complained of both loss of taste when eating or drinking AND experiencing a constant terrible taste. We didn't know that was a Paxlovid side effect until reading some of these posts.

She did not experience any symptom rebound after finishing Paxlovid. But residual effects including fatigue, mild headache, and mild cough were slow to resolve. She was disappointed that the 10 pound weight loss was "resolving" faster.

She finally claimed to be "mostly back to normal" last week and played a fairly vigorous couple hours of pickleball on Thursday. Unfortunately, she experienced a bad asthma attack during the last game and nearly passed out.

She doesn't have asthma or at least never did previously. Fortunately, I always carry a rescue inhaler. Hoping that too eventually goes away.

Despite taking no precautions around DW, I never experienced any symptoms and tested negative several times including PCR.

FWIW I have read many times that pushing yourself hard physically while recovering from Covid can lead to worse outcomes/feeling very bad afterwards. People advise to take it very easy activity wise.

Back
Top Bottom