Votes: 7 5.6%
  • I didn’t watch Dune and won’t watch Dune 2

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • I didn’t watch Dune but might watch Dune 2

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I like bacon, or polls, or maybe this poll could be better worded

Votes: 11 8.8%

• Total voters
As I stated I've never read the book series. Given the movies piqued my interest, I might just do some spring reading.

The books explain in far greater detail the various plots and machinations of the characters that can't be fully delved into on screen. There's a reason that Dune is considered one of the best, if not the best, sci-fi novel of all time. I'm certain you will love it. (Once you get past the first 40 pages or so...it starts kind of slow.)

I think I read the first five books or so. I have not read any of the more recent ones written by Frank Herbert's son, though I've heard they are excellent.

So we watched Dune 1 and 2, both great but I won’t say any more for fear of spoilers. We did see it in an RPX theater, much bigger screen/better sound and seats than standard, but not as big as an IMAX screen.

We remembered why we don’t go to movie theaters any more though. 32 minutes of ads and previews before the feature, that’s unacceptable to us. It was awfully loud as well. YMMV

I also went to see Dune 2 today on an XD screen, which is the Cinemark equivalent to IMAX. It was a very good film even though it strayed from book.

The worms and battle scenes on a 75 foot screen did not disappoint. One of the nice things about reserved seats is I’m able to skip all the ads and some of the previews.

Need to change my vote from:
I didn’t watch Dune but might watch Dune 2

to:
I watched Dune and will wait to stream Dune 2 at home

Watched on Hulu last night on the big screen TV.

Just went to 2. It was good, but I don't like it when they change the original story for no apparently good reason.

I saw Dune 2 on an XDX screen with Dolby Atmos sound. Spectacular film was very, very satisfying to this Dune fan.

Was moderately loud during explosions and such but not overpowering (at least for me.) My nephew had his peak sound level meter on his iPhone running and it hit 110 on two occasions.

I'm not noticing any real big changes from the book, other than omission of quite a lot of backstory. However, I suppose the method that one of the bad guys died was a bit different. Is that what is meant by not following the book?

It was one of the few times (we saw it in IMAX) where I didn't mind the thunderous theatre sound. It fit the movie and somehow worked better and didn't distract and annoy me like it usually does.

I relatively recently (we within the last 6-7:years) reread the original series, and I'm working my way through the spinoffs, so it was a given i'd see them all and in the theatre. I enjoyed part 1 and part 2 very much and I'm somewhat surprised my wife and son enjoyed it, I never know how people that didn't read the novel comprehend the movie.

I think Denis Villeneuve did a great job at keeping faithful to the book but editing for time and simplification. Almost nothing said of the guild (although I would have loved to see his take on the Navigators), nothing about the Butlerian Jihhad, so it makes sense he skipped over the concept of Mentats. I like the way he compressed the timeline in part 2 and skipped over Leto II the elder and his treatment if Alia.
All very smart choices that don't hurt the adaptation in my opinion. Chani's attitude and the ending are the only significant departure from the novel in my opinion. Not sure what to think of it, was it just to make Zendaya's role more interesting?

I also loved his black and white vision of Geidi Prime.

Can't say more or it would be spoilers.

Last edited:
BF is a big theater buff; before I started seeing him the last movie I'd seen in a theatre was the original Jurassic Park.

There's definitely something about the big screen, though. We saw Dune and although I'm not a sci-fi person and had to keep asking him (quietly) which were the good guys and which the bad guys, I enjoyed it. He saw it a couple of weeks ago with his daughter and we're going to see it together this weekend! We have an AMC theater nearby with the recliners; definitely an improvement worth paying extra for. I'm less concerned about bathroom breaks and more concerned about my Apple Watch hourly Move goals!

I have never seen Dune I but we face timed with our sons today (28 and 30) and they both couldn't say enough about Dune II. So DH and I are going to stream the first one on tv tonight. We shall see...

I relatively recently (we within the last 6-7:years) reread the original series, ..

I think Denis Villeneuve did a great job at keeping faithful to the book but editing for time and simplification. Almost nothing said of the guild (although I would have loved to see his take on the Navigators), nothing about the Butlerian Jihhad, so it makes sense he skipped over the concept of Mentats. I like the way he compressed the timeline in part 2 and skipped over Leto II the elder and his treatment if Alia.
All very smart choices that don't hurt the adaptation in my opinion. Chani's attitude and the ending are the only significant departure from the novel in my opinion. Not sure what to think of it, was it just to make Zendaya's role more interesting?

Sorry to rehash an old point, but "faithful to the book" REALLY?
To quote you:
  • Almost nothing said of the guild
  • nothing about the Butlerian Jihhad
  • skipped over the concept of Mentats
  • Zendaya's role

Give me the David Lynch 1984 version any day, for a better telling of the story (in 1 movie). Now the visual effects are incomparable given 30+ years of technological improvements.

I recently re-wached the first. Not bad. I'll stream the 2nd one. I think DW and I may be done going to the theater for movies.

I watched the first part of the remake, and was sort of indifferent to it. I might watch the second part one of these days, but I'm not pressed about it.

I preferred the 1984 original. However, having seen it first, and years ago, I wonder if that might have distorted my feelings towards the remake. To me, the 1984 version has sort of an "expensive, but dated" look to it. Even by 1984 standards, some of the special effects were pretty bad. However, it gives me the feeling of an expensive movie that went over budget, so they couldn't do everything they wanted, fx-wise. Modern movies tend to be backed by big budgets, and helped by CGI effects. You can do a lot more with CGI than you can with matte paintings and miniatures, or even full-scale mock-ups. But the downside is that you run the risk of the finished product looking like a video game. I also remember the characters in the original seeming more interesting and colorful. Sometimes a bit over-the-top, a bit campy even, but definitely more memorable. In contrast I just don't remember anything in the remake standing out as all that memorable. And while the first one wasn't exactly action-packed compared to, say, Star Wars, the remake just seemed more padded, drawn-out, and slower.

I wonder though, if you took someone who had never seen either version, and showed them the new one first, which one they'd like better? I think sometimes, if you take two similar things (movies, or whatever), you simply enjoy the first one you experience more than the second.

Not to get too philosophical about it, but I think this might be one reason why I don't mind the later Bewitched episodes with Darrin #2. I was two years old when the show was canceled, so I don't remember it first-run. But it's been in endless repeats for my entire life, so I'm just used to there being two Darrins, and it doesn't bother me.

And in the final season, since they knew it was going to be the last, they simply threw it into the "Death Slot" against "All in the Family" and put the bare minimum into it. Some of the episodes were even recycled plots, often word-for-word, from earlier black and white episodes. However, when I was a kid they didn't show the B&W episodes in reruns. I didn't see any of them until I was in my 20s. I think Nick at Nite showed them. And now Antenna TV shows them, albeit this last time around, they showed colorized versions of the first two seasons.

But, I have to admit, with some of those recycled episodes, I actually prefer the remake to the original. And I think that's simply because, while it didn't actually come first, I was exposed to it first.

So, I wonder if I'd never seen the 1984 Dune, perhaps my perception of the remake would be higher? But I've also noticed that now, in my 50's, whenever I see a new movie, it just doesn't leave a lasting impression on me, like movies did when I was younger. So maybe there's a bit of the "Rose Tinted Glasses" at play.

...Not to get too philosophical about it, but I think this might be one reason why I don't mind the later Bewitched episodes with Darrin #2. I was two years old when the show was canceled, so I don't remember it first-run. But it's been in endless repeats for my entire life, so I'm just used to there being two Darrins, and it doesn't bother me.

I was mesmerized by Bewitched as a child, but I wasn't paying much attention the the Darrin's.

I love the sequence when Paul Atreides gets on a sandworm the first time. I know it’s CG but they made it look realistic.. as if it was shot through a super telephoto lens from a long distance.

Not to get too philosophical about it, but I think this might be one reason why I don't mind the later Bewitched episodes with Darrin #2. I was two years old when the show was canceled, so I don't remember it first-run. But it's been in endless repeats for my entire life, so I'm just used to there being two Darrins, and it doesn't bother me.
I think by the time any of it registered with me, it was just repeats. I didn't even think about the Darrins being different. Just sad that we had so few channels back in those days we got stuck with shows like that, which I didn't really like back then, and even less today.

I haven't watched Dune but plan to eventually.

I was kinda disappointed when Paul finally got on the worm. They didn't show or explain anything about how they'd actually ride one. Nothing about the device to lift up the scales which makes it all possible.

I love the sequence when Paul Atreides gets on a sandworm the first time. I know it’s CG but they made it look realistic.. as if it was shot through a super telephoto lens from a long distance.

You mean sand worms aren't real!??

I listened to an interview with the director and he spoke about how they spent a couple weeks in the desert filming that sequence. So other than adding a CG sandworm it probably was mostly actual footage.

Back
Top Bottom