Potential future trip to Ho Chi Minh City

SecondAttempt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was born in the mid 60s. The Vietnam War was a part of my childhood. I can't say I understood much about it at the time. I remember hearing about people my parents knew or others around their sphere dying. I remember the "boat people" settling in the army town I lived in and so many people coming out to help and welcome them. I remember helping build makeshift housing with the help of GIs volunteering in town. I would have been around 10 to helping is probably too strong a word.

I was never interested in the war until the last few years as I have learned more about it in many ways. I have probably watched every youtube video of the fall of Saigon from the time and documentaries from after. I really don't know what it is, perhaps it is from my childhood exposure, but those moments of desperation to get out really impact me.

So that is background...now the questions.

I am seriously considering going to Ho Chi Mihn City in April 2025 for the 50th anniversary of the fall of Saigon. My understanding is that Vietnam is pretty safe for Americans now. But any advice about going for such a big event? Or maybe they don't even see it as a big event.

Anyone have any insight on this? It's hard to think it through. Europe was very friendly to Americans but then, we won. I even lived there in the early 80s. But would I expect to be endangered from nationalist fervor on that date in Vietnam?

I'd be curious to hear from those with actual knowledge from having traveled or lived there but also any speculation to think it through would be welcomed.

Thanks

Last edited:
It's perfectly safe for Americans. But having said that, take the normal precautions like don't walk alone at night if possible and always be aware of your surroundings. Ho Chi Minh City has all the western things we enjoy. Great hotels, amazing restaurants, luxury shopping, etc. You'll have a great time. I visited during the Tet holiday and everyone I met was extremely friendly.

We are Canadian. But really, who could tell. I assumed many people thought that we were American just because of how we look or by our speech.

We spent a month in Vietnam. Independent travel. We started on Phu Quak and spent 30 days touring the country. We did a homestay in the Mekong, went inland to Da Lat,and ended in Hanoi. We stayed in a many small hotels, ate in restaurants that we not full of tourists. We traveled by minibus, bus, train, etc. The only area that disappointed us was Ha Long. And only because there was so much plastic trash floating around in the bay.

Our stay could not have been better. IF anything we want to return to Vietnam and will do so in the near future. I would not limit trip to Ho Chi Minh City (all the locals called it Saigon when we were there and there is a constant rumour that the name will be changed back to Saigon). We very much enjoyed Hanoi, perhaps even more.

We sometimes spend winters in Thailand and visit other countries in SE Asia at the same time.

We entered Vietnam by land from Kampot, Cambodia. You might want to incorporate some time in Cambodia

I would highly recommend a trip to Vietnam. Just remember though, their interpretation of history may not be the same as other interpretations.

Everyone we met was very welcoming. When in Da Lat we hired a guide who took us to a small village. An elderly man in the street welcomed us. I spoke a few words in French to him and his eyes lit up. We spent a few moments with him. Food was excellent. Sometimes it all guesswork and pointing but somehow we managed to have fresh scallops on the shell numerous times!

My recommendation would be to not limit yourself to one or two large cities, to stay in local, smaller hotels, and to eat in places where the locals eat. But no...we were not quire ready to eat the barbequed bugs on a stick that were sold in the night markets. The other food was fabulous.

Last edited:
My son lives and works as a teacher in Saigon. He loves it. I haven’t been to visit because the air quality is bad and I have moderate asthma. Plus I hate heat and humidity. I went to Thailand in their winter in 1998 and it was in the 90’s with high humidity. The air was awful but I didn’t have asthma then.

We have spent five winters in Thailand. We typically fly into Bangkok, sometimes Kuala Lumpur or Singapore.

We spend a few days in Bangkok and then head south to some less touristy areas, ie not Phuket or Ko Samui. Our experience is the humidity is far less noticeable in the south (or in the north).

We like spending a few days in Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur but we are always very happy to leave the city.

You have to pick you times to visit this area and be aware of the seasonal weather. As well as the celebrations such as Lunar New Year!

We have never experienced high humidity (60-90 percent) in any our our Jan-March trips. Thailand or Vietnam.

Last edited:
We toured HCM City and Hanoi, plus other parts of Vietnam, in 2020 as part of a Tauck tour. I agree about the great food and beautiful hotels.

Bear in mind that any tours you take will be completely scripted and controlled by the Communist government.

We found it interesting to learn how the Vietnamese perceive their own recent history, particularly the American invasion.

But don't worry - the Vietnamese will be very nice to you, as long as you are spending money.

It's perfectly safe for Americans. But having said that, take the normal precautions like don't walk alone at night if possible and always be aware of your surroundings. Ho Chi Minh City has all the western things we enjoy. Great hotels, amazing restaurants, luxury shopping, etc. You'll have a great time. I visited during the Tet holiday and everyone I met was extremely friendly.

I was in Vietnam just for a day on a cruise a few years ago. One surprising thing was the traffic--we saw no traffic lights. The streets are filled with motorcycles/scooters, often with several people on them with groceries, babies, etc.

Nobody yields for pedestrians. We just crossed the street with a crowd of people hoping that no one hit us. You really have to watch out for them.

I met a man in Hua who was on a Gate4 tour of Vietnam. I made a point of asking him about the tour and about Gate4. He was in this late 50's/early sixties.

He spoke very positively about the tour and the tour company.

We found that touring Vietnam independently was incredibly easy. We engaged tour guides at various sites and tour a few tours with groups. Everyone in the tourist industry spoke English right down the the railway clerks and bus terminals. We had no issues booking seats on on a specific side of the train when we trained up part of the coast.

We enjoyed our trip to HCM City. We combined it with a trip to Angor Wat/Siem Riep. I have had friends and relatives who have done a Mekong River tour and a cruise along the northern coast. No issues, just the normal precautions.

You will get an interesting perspective when you go to the museums and war monuments (like the tunnels). The narrative is tightly controlled, as mentioned above.

After reading the prior posts on traffic, I distinctly remember learning to keep a little old lady between yourself and the flow of traffic. Those locals know how to boldly cross and make the traffic yield to them (or flow around them).

It's a good trip. I would not go that distance, though, without also going up to Hanoi. The "Hanoi Hilton" is stunning, though in a very negative way.

We began our trip with a Red River cruise: https://www.pandaw.com/expeditions/halong-bay-red-river It was great; the highlights were stops along the river to visit various villages, each of which specialized in some type of commerce. For example, carved furniture making, bonsai cultivation, knife and edged-tool making. This is the Vietnam that you'll never see if you stick to the cities. We are not cruise people but we would use Pandaw again if we are in that part of the world. Beautiful ships, very small groups, great dining.

But don't worry - the Vietnamese will be very nice to you, as long as you are spending money.

Well, I think that's a bit unfair. We were there in 2017 and found everyone very friendly, whether we were spending money or not.

Well, I think that's a bit unfair. We were there in 2017 and found everyone very friendly, whether we were spending money or not.

Ditto. Agree.

We found them friendly and extremely gracious. So much so that we plan to return.

Same for some other SE Asia countries. It is why we keep going back to spend winters in that part of the world.

A daughter of one of our friends lived there for 2 years teaching. She enjoyed it and found it very safe. She took normal precautions and, not being a "party" person, was not out late at night nor indulging in the nightlife. Our friends visited her a couple of times and enjoyed themselves.

It is a long flight for us. Depending on the route it usually involves two 9 or 10 hour flights plus another 2 hour or so flight depending on the hub.

Despite this, when I ask my spouse where she thinks we should spend our snowbird trip the answer is invariably starts with Thailand followed by Vietnam.
This from someone who was not that hyped up about going the first time we went there for the winter.

We are in our early 70's. This winter may be our last one and then we will switch to the Pacific coast of Mexico or Costa Rica. Much shorter, direct flights.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I guess I knew enough about Vietnam to know it is generally safe for Americans. I have known several people who visited and a friend's son lived there for a while.

I was more concerned that festivities around the fall of Saigon might trigger nationalism to be concerned about. It sounds like I should not be that concerned although exercise normal cautions. I think if we go we would probably try to hire a local private guide for that day(s) who would be able to pick up on subtle things that might be happening around us that we would be unaware of.

And while I just asked about Saigon/HCMC, we would visit other areas as well such as along the Mekong. Hanoi though was not on my radar. We'll be sure to book the Hilton (j/k).

And the trip would almost certainly be combined with a visit to Angkor Wat and Siem Reap and possibly even a visit to Laos although I have barely begun research.

We live in Hawaii so I think an easy flight connecting through Manila.

Thailand would be a separate trip because, again, relatively easy.

The concern about big events creating novel risks is not restricted to developing countries. We went to the Bastille Day parade on the Champs Elysee in Paris a few years ago and got swept up into a dicey situation where were between a yellow jacket protest and the police moving in on them. Everything came out fine but there was several minutes when we were just holding onto each other to avoid falling down and getting trampled while trying to swim to the side to get to the calm near the buildings. Nobody was targeting us but I should have been more attuned to the heavily armed police massing and gearing up. But I think I was just not taking normal precautions because I am very comfortable in Europe.

We felt much safer walking at night in Hanoi and Saigon than we do in a number of NA cities. The only challenge is that you have to watch where you walk. In some areas of the city the sidewalks are atrocious.

Our only concern when going to Vietnam etc. is to understand when Lunar New Year Occurs. We never want to travel during this one-two week period. Once of twice we have waited until it has passed. Other times we have ensured that we had firm accommodation reservations in popular area. Our preference would be to avoid any large celebration such as the 59th anniversary of the fall of Saigon. Too crowded for us, higher air fares and accommodation costs, etc.

Over the years many of the Thais that we have got to know have become resentful of the growing number of Russian visitors. They do not consider them to be the ideal tourist. Russian organized crime gangs are very active in Phuket, Sumui, etc. Do not know if this is the case in Vietnam.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the responses. I guess I knew enough about Vietnam to know it is generally safe for Americans. I have known several people who visited and a friend's son lived there for a while.

I was more concerned that festivities around the fall of Saigon might trigger nationalism to be concerned about. It sounds like I should not be that concerned although exercise normal cautions. I think if we go we would probably try to hire a local private guide for that day(s) who would be able to pick up on subtle things that might be happening around us that we would be unaware of.

And while I just asked about Saigon/HCMC, we would visit other areas as well such as along the Mekong. Hanoi though was not on my radar. We'll be sure to book the Hilton (j/k).

And the trip would almost certainly be combined with a visit to Angkor Wat and Siem Reap and possibly even a visit to Laos although I have barely begun research.

We live in Hawaii so I think an easy flight connecting through Manila.

Thailand would be a separate trip because, again, relatively easy.

The concern about big events creating novel risks is not restricted to developing countries. We went to the Bastille Day parade on the Champs Elysee in Paris a few years ago and got swept up into a dicey situation where were between a yellow jacket protest and the police moving in on them. Everything came out fine but there was several minutes when we were just holding onto each other to avoid falling down and getting trampled while trying to swim to the side to get to the calm near the buildings. Nobody was targeting us but I should have been more attuned to the heavily armed police massing and gearing up. But I think I was just not taking normal precautions because I am very comfortable in Europe.
WADR we have never been concerned with this kind of stuff. We are also not concerned about US drug dealers on every street corner with AR-15s, which is a concern of many in Europe. Statistically speaking, this stuff is just not on our travelers' radar. That said, we avoid festivals because we don't like crowds. We were just in Venice and picked a time after Carnival and before the tourist ship hordes. Different too, in choice of hotels. Hiltons and that ilk are the same anywhere in the world. We seek out the small family hotels, ideally ten rooms or less. More dangerous?? I have no idea but also have no statistical information that would cause me to worry.

We just got back from a long trip to SE Asia, including two weeks in Vietnam (north and central, but not HCMC). Like Brett, we also ran into some American folks on a Gate4 tour while we were in Hoi An. They had very nice things to say about it, although when we compared itineraries they definitely missed things that we felt were worth seeing. (For example, their tour went to a marble statue factory & shop but did not visit the pagodas and caves at Marble Mountain outside Da Nang). But I think the Gate4 tours sounded like a great way for people to see SE Asia who maybe don't have the confidence to plan everything on their own.

For us, touring independently was the way to go so that we could control our itinerary and see what we wanted to see. I definitely recommend OP plan on going to more than just HCMC if possible. We found the smaller cities more to our liking. We loved Hue and Hoi An - both charming towns and worlds away from the commotion and buzz of bigger cities like Hanoi (and I'm guessing HCMC). Our Ha Long cruise was a tiny bit disappointing (just due to trash in the bay and crowds) but the Ninh Binh/Tam Coc area was breathtakingly beautiful, and we wished we had stayed there for a few nights on our Hanoi/Ha Long leg.

To answer OPs questions: As Americans we felt very safe in Vietnam (we were in Hanoi, Ha Long, Tam Coc, Hue, and Hoi An). There was no nationalist or anti-American sentiment that we could pick up on (and we did notice that some people seemed to refer to Saigon and HCMC interchangeably - many cities in Vietnam including Hanoi have changed names multiple times over the centuries so I guess they are used to it). As far as safety, there were streets in Hanoi that were a bit intimidating to cross on foot (crosswalks are rare) but we just found that if we followed along and crossed with a local person we could manage it. We did not rent a scooter or try to drive ourselves anywhere. We did use Grab (rideshare like Uber) quite a bit and it was a great way to get around.

As others have said, the official narratives are tightly controlled, even with independently hired cultural tour guides (who are licensed by the government). But...we had some very interesting conversations with our food tour guides and car drivers who were not official tour guides. I found they were open and honest about their experiences under Communism -- and it was very interesting to hear the perspective of younger guides (millennials who grew up watching the Disney channel) vs those in their 40's and 50's who remember the more distant past and growing up just after the Vietnam war. One of our drivers claimed to have a parent who worked with the CIA and their other parent worked as a spy for the Viet Cong -- some very interesting stories on that car ride for sure!

SecondAttempt, if you are interested in reading our travel blog and video from this trip, PM me and I can send you a link.

We just got back from a long trip to SE Asia, including two weeks in Vietnam (north and central, but not HCMC). Like Brett, we also ran into some American folks on a Gate4 tour while we were in Hoi An. They had very nice things to say about it, although when we compared itineraries they definitely missed things that we felt were worth seeing. (For example, their tour went to a marble statue factory & shop but did not visit the pagodas and caves at Marble Mountain outside Da Nang). But I think the Gate4 tours sounded like a great way for people to see SE Asia who maybe don't have the confidence to plan everything on their own.

For us, touring independently was the way to go so that we could control our itinerary and see what we wanted to see. I definitely recommend OP plan on going to more than just HCMC if possible. We found the smaller cities more to our liking. We loved Hue and Hoi An - both charming towns and worlds away from the commotion and buzz of bigger cities like Hanoi (and I'm guessing HCMC). Our Ha Long cruise was a tiny bit disappointing (just due to trash in the bay and crowds) but the Ninh Binh/Tam Coc area was breathtakingly beautiful, and we wished we had stayed there for a few nights on our Hanoi/Ha Long leg.

To answer OPs questions: As Americans we felt very safe in Vietnam (we were in Hanoi, Ha Long, Tam Coc, Hue, and Hoi An). There was no nationalist or anti-American sentiment that we could pick up on (and we did notice that some people seemed to refer to Saigon and HCMC interchangeably - many cities in Vietnam including Hanoi have changed names multiple times over the centuries so I guess they are used to it). As far as safety, there were streets in Hanoi that were a bit intimidating to cross on foot (crosswalks are rare) but we just found that if we followed along and crossed with a local person we could manage it. We did not rent a scooter or try to drive ourselves anywhere. We did use Grab (rideshare like Uber) quite a bit and it was a great way to get around.

As others have said, the official narratives are tightly controlled, even with independently hired cultural tour guides (who are licensed by the government). But...we had some very interesting conversations with our food tour guides and car drivers who were not official tour guides. I found they were open and honest about their experiences under Communism -- and it was very interesting to hear the perspective of younger guides (millennials who grew up watching the Disney channel) vs those in their 40's and 50's who remember the more distant past and growing up just after the Vietnam war. One of our drivers claimed to have a parent who worked with the CIA and their other parent worked as a spy for the Viet Cong -- some very interesting stories on that car ride for sure!

SecondAttempt, if you are interested in reading our travel blog and video from this trip, PM me and I can send you a link.

Very much agree with the above. We absolutely avoid the big hotels. We find that when we go to the smaller hotels we are able to get local independent guides that go 'off script' as it were. We loved the smaller towns and areas around them. Our preference is also independent. Vietnam is one of the easiest countries for independent travel. And it can be inexpensive. We decided to go to Da Lat after Saigon. The flight on Jetstar was only $20. Better than an all day bus ride.

One of our highlights after leaving the island of Phu Quak was doing a two day homestay with a family in the Mekong Delta. We had an excellent local guide. Something that we have never done before. She took us to the market, we shopped for food, and then cooked it up in the evening. In Hua one of the hotel workers had a cousin with a car. He toured us around the area for a half day and told us about his family. Same in Hoi An and Da Lat. You will get far more insightful and unvarnished info on a one on one private tour than you will from an agency group tour. At least this was our experience.

Cambodia is very much the same. We met all sorts of interesting people one on one. Our guide in Siem Reap took us aside, out of the way, to answer certain questions and give us historical data about the travails of his parents. We also met a female civil engineer at our hotel. She was half Cambodian but educated in France. She was back on an engineering contract for the second time. She gave us insight into the rebuilding of the country.

Last edited:
My wife is quite interested in visiting Vietnam. While the history around the Vietnam War would also fascinate me, I don't think the hot, humid climate (or the crowds) would agree with me at all.

Went a few years ago.

Agree that you have to visit some other parts. I went to Hoi An, Hanoi and Halong as well as HCMC.

Weather is a factor though, so you may want to try to plan enough days in each place to minimize the chance that you will only get rain. It rained a lot when I was in Hoi An.

The biggest thing about the big cities is that they can be tough to navigate. The main streets are like rivers of mopeds, and you have to carefully walk through them to cross streets -- not as many traffic lights for pedestrians to wait on.

I didn't investigate public transport options but my understanding is that the buses for instance aren't used much by locals, who prefer the independence of mopeds even though they cause horrific pollution problems in the big cities.

So I used Uber a lot, you could go a few kilometer trips for like a buck or two. Then you didn't have to worry about navigating through the streets and you got out of the heat and humidity.

But my understanding is that Uber is gone now over there so you have to try something like Grab instead.

For moving around within the country one option is to hire drivers. It cost me something like $40, maybe not even that, to be driven from Da Nang airport to Hoi An and then from Hoi An to I think it was Hue?

Some of these were long trips, taking at least a couple of hours. Maybe the prices are higher by now.

I never ate street food there but there were literally people squatting over hibachi grills on the sidewalk. Some travel blogger types said this is the best food experience there. I guess authenticity but is it because it's cheap? The sit down restaurants prices were insanely low though compared to what you'd pay in the US or Europe.

A few people have mentioned home stays with local families. This is unfamiliar territory to me but something I would be very interested in. How does one arrange something like this?

We were sitting on the island of Phu Quok in the south and trying to decide whether to skip the Mekong Delta or just fly to Saigon.

Looked at the tripadvisor forum and saw a recommendation for homestay. Read the reviews, contact the tour person.

We decided to do it based on some good reviews. Changed our plans, flew to Can Tho in Mekong and were met by our guide.

It was very basic accommodation. The experience was wonderful and we had two very good tours. There were only six of us in the group. At the end, she took us to the bus station and made certain that we got on the right bus to Saigon.

There was really no downside. It was only for two nights. We always have a backup plan and could have walked if we did not enjoy or like it.

My wife is quite interested in visiting Vietnam. While the history around the Vietnam War would also fascinate me, I don't think the hot, humid climate (or the crowds) would agree with me at all.

1.Northern Vietnam is quite cool during winter months.
2. Saigon/HCMC stuck me as just another large asian city.
Hanoi and Hoi An much nicer
3. The narrative of the "American "war is the USA vs Vietnam. The existance of South Vietnam is largely ignored.
I never encountered any anti American feelings
4. The trick in crossing the street was to step out and walk with a STEADY pace, traffic flowed around you.

We go in Feb/March. Start in the south go north to Hanoi. If we run out of time on our 30 day visa we fly back to Thailand.

Good time to go weather wise.

We very much prefer the smaller cities and towns to Saigon and Hanoi. These are two very different cities. We have enjoyed them both for different reasons.

When we first went to Hanoi crossing four lanes of traffic was somewhat daunting. We did what the locals did and before long we got the hang of it. You simply have to venture out into the road.

The cars, motorcycles, and bike all just seen to go around you and make for a safe pedestrian passage. We have never seen anyone injured, nor have we ever seen a motor vehicle accident. From our perspective this is remarkable.

Back
Top Bottom