Programming a replacement Remote Key Entry fob

After I lost the “key” to my 2014 Toyota Corolla, and learned the cost of replacing it, I waited it out.

One Spring afternoon, I found it in a pile of melting snow ?‍♂️

It still worked.

Since then, all important keys and fobs have an Apple AirTag attached.

There are less expensive, “Find My” compatible tags now available that don’t require an additional purchase to attach the tag to a key ring (like the Air Tag).

They have saved aggravation a few times, and can serve double-duty when we put them in our luggage.

The downside is when the batteries need replacement but that’s a minor inconvenience that can be scheduled if you don’t wait to be told to replacement.

DH lost a set of keys with a fob to our van so I went to a locksmith's office who advertised "we make key fobs". $65 later I had a new fob.

When I lose something, I go to the last place I knew I had it and retrace steps from there, talking my way through. It works.
I lost a key fob... my "retrace steps" was 10 miles of winding backwater mangrove channels (it blew out of the boat somewhere). Potentially if the bag it was in (along with a towel), was floating, I might have found it... but I really expected it to be on the bottom in murky shark infested waters. I had a nearly new cell phone that fell out of a pocket in a similar area and although I knew exactly where it went overboard in 5 ft of water, and I searched for an hour, I could not find it. Turned out my car came with insurance against loss of the fob.

If someone is going to program a new electronic fob with your car, best to do it in the parking lot of your favorite dealer with transmission in Neutral/Parking brake set. If something goes wrong and it turns your car into a brick, they can easily push it inside and use whatever shop equipment they need.
:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom