Propagate Tree Branch

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Has anyone ever done any propagate tree branches. I did do some research on it and seems to work. I cut some 18 inch branches today from a number of soft wood trees and placed them in a bucket of water.

Any advice, tips of the trade and your success will be very much appreciated. I didn't use any root hormone.

Really depends on the tree/species. Some also are particular about how they are cut, whether thru old wood or newer growth, etc.

Some won't ever work at all, can only grow from seed. But it's easy to find out just google "how to propagate <insert tree name> and there will be tips. Some can be grown from both seed and cuttings, but will never grow into quite as big and strong a tree as from seed.

And time of year can be a factor, what stage of growth the tree is in, etc.

Really depends on the tree/species. Some also are particular about how they are cut, whether thru old wood or newer growth, etc.

Some won't ever work at all, can only grow from seed. But it's easy to find out just google "how to propagate <insert tree name> and there will be tips. Some can be grown from both seed and cuttings, but will never grow into quite as big and strong a tree as from seed.

And time of year can be a factor, what stage of growth the tree is in, etc.

Thank You Aerides. I did some research and of course can't believe everything you read on the web. I did cut Popular, Cottonwood, June Berry and few a new growth from last year of ash. I will get some Aspen tomorrow and add them to the water. I did how they said to do it for water propagate method so I will see what happens.

We have propagated some trees, maple, elderberry and cherry. These were dirt propagation and was cut when dormant and stored in the freezer until spring. One set of buds should be below the dirt and rooting hormone will help turn that set of buds into roots.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom