The Blues (music)

The Hot Tuna reference reminds me of a song they covered by Leroy Carr and Scrapper Blackwell called "How Long Blues." It was a popular tune in the late 1920s by the duo, who were based in Indianapolis. They had great success until the moody Blackwell split with Carr over money and song credits ... shortly thereafter Carr died of alcohol-induced nephritis and Blackwell faded, as they say, into obscurity.

Blackwell was rediscovered during the folk blues revival of the early '60s but he was murdered in 1962.

Too many stories like this among great Bluesmen of old. May they all rest in peace.

There’s a documentary currently on Amazon (Freevee) called “I am the Blues” about Bobby Rush. It’s almost ten years old, but he’s still touring at 90. One of the last of that generation.

When I started this thread I was not expecting this many Blues fans.

To add a little nugget, I listen to a couple of shows on my local radio, every Friday they kick of 11 hours off the Blues starting at 7:00 central time. They also have a couple of the shows on demand, Bridge to the Blues is probably my favorite.

Here is the link
Jazz88.FM

I do some volunteer work for a nonprofit Madison radio station called WORT. They have some great genre-specific programming, including a Saturday night show called "Two for the Blues." It's accessible on the station's online programming archives.
wort Archive

Back
Top Bottom