West coast fires

Gender reveal parties are world wide, so yes, you have them also. In fact, one of the attached Darwin awards goes to a Texan:

https://nypost.com/2020/09/08/gender-reveal-party-inventor-begs-for-end-to-trend-amid-wildfires/

I grew up in Thousand Oaks and remember many 100+ days, but no, no days in the high teens. The wildfires were a constant however.
Every day I learn something new. I thought a gender reveal party was when people undecided about their sex finally made up their minds. I am relieved to find out its different.

Ha

Last edited:
I thought everything awful that could happen in 2020, had already happened! Coronavirus, unrest in our cities, hurricanes, a contentious election in less than two months, and now massive wildfires. I am sure I forgot something huge.

There's always REWahoo's meteor strike! And don't forget locusts.

Reactions: W2R
Looking out my windows, I feel like I'm living on the red planet. And it's getting darker and darker at 11am. I'm on the SF peninsula so nowhere near the active fires. The ones close to home are 90+% contained.

I know you’re not being political lol, but I’d prefer if possible to keep this thread focused on what’s happening with the fires and those impacted. Otherwise it’ll get shut down. Plus arguing about a political issue while homes, forests, and cities are burning just doesn’t seem right.

MuirWannabe - I brought up climate change because people seemed to be talking all around the issue of why these fires are so bad lately, and getting worse every year, without addressing the cause, which is well-established in the scientific literature. You said earlier in this thread... "I’m not sure anyone really knows what’s led to such a large increase in bad fires across the west coast region. Is it random chance? Or one of the other causes mentioned?" So, in response I wanted to point out that we do know what the cause is -climate change- and it's supported by a ton of scientific literature.

Just one additional comment, and then I will leave this thread - It's very sad that we can't discuss an issue like climate change in a forum like this (or basically anywhere these days) without fear of encroaching on someone else's political beliefs. There is really nothing political about a topic like climate change, and those that deny it is real will not be able to wish it away because they don't believe in it. It's now a well-established scientific fact based on a whole lot of data that has been collected and analyzed for decades now. It's real, it's happening, and it's affecting all of us, regardless where we live. And it will get worse before it gets better.

MuirWannabe - I brought up climate change because people seemed to be talking all around the issue of why these fires are so bad lately, and getting worse every year, without addressing the cause, which is well-established in the scientific literature. You said earlier in this thread... "I’m not sure anyone really knows what’s led to such a large increase in bad fires across the west coast region. Is it random chance? Or one of the other causes mentioned?" So, in response I wanted to point out that we do know what the cause is -climate change- and it's supported by a ton of scientific literature.

Just one additional comment, and then I will leave this thread - It's very sad that we can't discuss an issue like climate change in a forum like this (or basically anywhere these days) without fear of encroaching on someone else's political beliefs. There is really nothing political about a topic like climate change, and those that deny it is real will not be able to wish it away because they don't believe in it. It's now a well-established scientific fact based on a whole lot of data that has been collected and analyzed for decades now. It's real, it's happening, and it's affecting all of us, regardless where we live. And it will get worse before it gets better.

RAE, I appreciate your passion and empathy for those effected. I don’t share your certainty as to cause or solution. But I know we can both care about the devastation.

So the 82,000 person town of Medford in southern Oregon has been evacuated. Friends in Jacksonville next to Medford report that the town of Phoenix (the Oregon one) south of Medford, is gone. Winds are blowing the fires north; Phoenix was above Talent: here's a good view of the fires in Talent. https://www.facebook.com/thaddeus.gala/videos/3318146598242147

That is an hour or so of video, but if you hop through it you can see some amazing fire suppression drops by a jet tanker following a little spotter plane. Watch as the fire is suppressed for just a bit before coming back to win it's war. Air superiority just ain't cutting it vs. fire and 11% humidity.

So the 82,000 person town of Medford in southern Oregon has been evacuated. Friends in Jacksonville next to Medford report that the town of Phoenix (the Oregon one) south of Medford, is gone. Winds are blowing the fires north; Phoenix was above Talent: here's a good view of the fires in Talent. https://www.facebook.com/thaddeus.gala/videos/3318146598242147

That is an hour or so of video, but if you hop through it you can see some amazing fire suppression drops by a jet tanker following a little spotter plane. Watch as the fire is suppressed for just a bit before coming back to win it's war. Air superiority just ain't cutting it vs. fire and 11% humidity.

Wow. That’s incredible video. Very interesting to watch the planes work. Or at least try. Medford is not a small town to be fully evacuated. Up until yesterday, that’s where I was planning to fly into today. Dang.

Just got a call from the guy buying our trailer park - The fire circled the park, doing no damage to it, jumped the road and destroyed the town of Gates, population 412. Sweet little town, good people we got to know while working on the park. Guess our buyer, who has been putting in the work, had it almost completely full and there was no damage to any of the mobiles or trailers and no harm to any of the residents. Outstanding news about the park and a huge relief! Sad news about the town.

News just reported the death of a child and his grandmother while fleeing one of the wildfires.

Part of the coast town of Lincoln City is at stage 3 "Go Now!" level. Looks to me that traffic south arround Medford on I-5 and Highway 101 arround Lincoln City are both cut off.

Last edited:
Oh no, how terrible. I wonder if it was the Bear fire. That one blew up last night and is totally out of control at this time. I believe it is in the Oroville, CA area.

I saw a photo of the sky my friend in the Silicon Valley posted on FB, and I was shocked! (An orange, foggy sky in the middle of the day). I lived in the area for over 18 years, and not even once, I saw anything like that, ever!

The fires in CA have been definitely getting worse and worse over the years...

I live east of Sacramento and have had that orange/brown air off and on since the fires started. The air quality has been awful, I stay inside mostly.

This is the worst it's been since I have lived here, 30 years.

When I changed my A/C filter on Sept 1, it had been in since Aug 1 and it was grayish/brown. First time I've seen that...

I saw a photo of the sky my friend in the Silicon Valley posted on FB, and I was shocked! (An orange, foggy sky in the middle of the day). I lived in the area for over 18 years, and not even once, I saw anything like that, ever!

The fires in CA have been definitely getting worse and worse over the years...

Yep, I've been feeling like I should be getting ready for bed all day. The house lights have been on all day it's so dark. Almost pitch black in the upstairs hallway.

I'm whining, however, consider myself blessed compared to what too many others are going through with these fires. I've lived on the SF peninsula most of my life and this is the worst ever.

My daughter shot this from her front door in Beaverton, Oregon, just 5-10 minutes ago. She used no filters to take the photo or process it. She has lung problems and breathing outside is very difficult so I am telling her to stay inside by the air purifier. There is a lot of wind (I guess? so I hear) which might help the air quality but will spread the fires.

EEEK. I'm in full "mommy mode" and posting back and forth on her facebook page. OK, she is 42 years old but I'm still her mom.

Attachments

• Beaverton Fire 0909_2020.jpg
    Beaverton Fire 0909_2020.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 56

It looks like I5 between Ashland and Medford is all on fire.

It’s hard to believe we were through there in mid-January, enjoying and marveling at the snow.

California has now closed all 18 national forests in the state. I believe that’s unprecedented.

Here’s a picture from Yosemite Valley, looking at Bridalveil Falls. Good luck seeing them. Ugh.

IMG_0027.JPG

Today’s satellite photo of the smoke. Not hard to tell which way the wind was blowing today.

IMG_0028.jpg

You can't see 5 miles here. For weeks now. The color changes from brown to white, but you still can't see. The odor changes depending on what's burning, and it's good when you can't see but at least it doesn't stink so bad.

And the gender people were only a tiny bit at blame. PG&E is off the hook on this one too. All mother nature at work here.

Just got a call from the guy buying our trailer park - The fire circled the park, doing no damage to it, jumped the road and destroyed the town of Gates, population 412. Sweet little town, good people we got to know while working on the park. Guess our buyer, who has been putting in the work, had it almost completely full and there was no damage to any of the mobiles or trailers and no harm to any of the residents. Outstanding news about the park and a huge relief! Sad news about the town.

I was due to drive through there today on the way from Bend to Portland. that video of the fire in Mill City is gruesome. I rerouted to go over Mt Hood. I strongly dislike that route. The route through Santiam pass & all the little towns is so much prettier. It is truly hard to imagine the destruction. Any news on Detroit?

My cousin told me my aunt was hyperventilating in San Francisco as she sees the orange skyline and got scared.

There is a real need to focus on climate change.

My daughter shot this from her front door in Beaverton, Oregon, just 5-10 minutes ago. She used no filters to take the photo or process it. She has lung problems and breathing outside is very difficult so I am telling her to stay inside by the air purifier. There is a lot of wind (I guess? so I hear) which might help the air quality but will spread the fires.

EEEK. I'm in full "mommy mode" and posting back and forth on her facebook page. OK, she is 42 years old but I'm still her mom.

I just got home from visiting our kids in Beaverton. The sky is eerie colored there but the smoke there is very high altitude, down on the ground level there was no smoke so breathing wasn't a problem.

The wind has died down too.

Last edited:
I was due to drive through there today on the way from Bend to Portland. that video of the fire in Mill City is gruesome. I rerouted to go over Mt Hood. I strongly dislike that route. The route through Santiam pass & all the little towns is so much prettier. It is truly hard to imagine the destruction. Any news on Detroit?

All over the news tonight - it's a total burnout. Saw an image that did show a good barbeque place we visit still standing but looking mighty lonesome a block off the highway.

I just got home from visiting our kids in Beaverton. The sky is eerie colored there but the smoke there is very high altitude, down on the ground level there was no smoke so breathing wasn't a problem.

The wind has died down too.
Thank you! I am relieved to hear that.

I feel bad for the people that live there. Fire is no stranger where I live also. We just had a fire that just about took the small town to the ground. It was saved except for a few building that were burned. Smoke fill skies is a normal thing during the summer.

I always worry about the ranch going up in smoke but not a lot I can do if it does.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom