What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

I could be wrong (I was once) but I believe ours are set that if the light turns red and you are in the intersection, you are nailed.
It depends on state law. In MD (where I'm most familiar with exactly what the law is) as long as the light is either green or yellow when you enter the intersection, then you're legal to continue on through. If the light is red at the instant you enter the intersection, that's a violation.

Other states have different statutes.

Back in the Boston area (60'-70's), there were Rotary's. The biggest two that I remember were at the bridges going over to Cape Cod (the Sagamore and the Bourne bridges). No lines for traffic. Road was 3-4 cars wide. It was free for all on a Friday night or Saturday morning in July or August.

It finally was torn out and replaced with lights, not that that really helped the traffic.

And then, in my home town of Braintree, there was the Five Corners Rotary. What a mess. There are lights there now, at least the last time I was back.

I think Roundabouts work best with 1-2 lanes of traffic, in light to moderate traffic areas. The ones we have here in St. Charles do seem to improve traffic flow.

I could be wrong (I was once) but I believe ours are set that if the light turns red and you are in the intersection, you are nailed. I've seen dozens of pictures on TV showing folks who got tickets. They're mostly "almost" through the intersection at the time the picture was snapped. Perhaps different jurisdictions have different rules. Or, as suggested, I just might be wrong. The TV stories have NOT mentioned entering on red as THE cause for a violation.

IIRC you have to actually run the full car past the line to get caught... the picture is after the fact so you are beyond the line when it is snapped....

Wish stores had better wireless availability. Went grocery shopping at Safeway, but forgot to check the app prior. Tried to open and "cut" some digital coupons (they had tillamook yogurt for $0.39--digital coupon only!). Nope, doesn't work in the store.
Didn't feel like leaving my cart to go out the door, open the app, click the coupon and go back in.
I try to remember to check before I go, but forget. Or sometimes I see a great buy on an item we use while doing regular shopping and would like to be able to use the app in the store!

Wish stores had better wireless availability. Went grocery shopping at Safeway, but forgot to check the app prior. Tried to open and "cut" some digital coupons (they had tillamook yogurt for $0.39--digital coupon only!). Nope, doesn't work in the store.
Didn't feel like leaving my cart to go out the door, open the app, click the coupon and go back in.
I try to remember to check before I go, but forget. Or sometimes I see a great buy on an item we use while doing regular shopping and would like to be able to use the app in the store!
I think the stores do that on purpose so you can't use the coupons! :ROFLMAO:

Which is why I hate digital coupons... just give me the deal when I swipe my card and be done with it... you know what I am buying... only reason to make me have an app is to spy on me...

Which is why I hate digital coupons... just give me the deal when I swipe my card and be done with it... you know what I am buying... only reason to make me have an app is to spy on me...
Yep. I just had a major confrontation with Kroger. I wanted to buy my favorite (Diet Pepsi) and it was on special sale IF you input a digital coupon - I don't even know how to do that. I took the product to the self check and noticed that I didn't get the discount (no, I didn't do a digital "anything") so I called the floater over. She literally berated me for not following the instructions. I told her I had no intention to do so. She got even snippier but finally used her pass key to approve my purchase at the sale price. I left with my discount, without playing their silly game and WITH a major chip on my shoulder toward Kroger.

I'm just not gonna do it. YMMV

Yep. I just had a major confrontation with Kroger. I wanted to buy my favorite (Diet Pepsi) and it was on special sale IF you input a digital coupon - I don't even know how to do that. I took the product to the self check and noticed that I didn't get the discount (no, I didn't do a digital "anything") so I called the floater over. She literally berated me for not following the instructions. I told her I had no intention to do so. She got even snippier but finally used her pass key to approve my purchase at the sale price. I left with my discount, without playing their silly game and WITH a major chip on my shoulder toward Kroger.

I'm just not gonna do it. YMMV
Creating a digital life event is really not hard. All You need is a cheap smartphone then you wouldn't have those hassles and end up in confrontations. Even old guys like me have embraced this and really like it. All my old friends have come over to the dark side too! Plus, we order breakfast each morning at Whataburger from the app saving MONEY!

Creating a digital life event is really not hard. All You need is a cheap smartphone then you wouldn't have those hassles and end up in confrontations. Even old guys like me have embraced this and really like it. All my old friends have come over to the dark side too! Plus, we order breakfast each morning at Whataburger from the app saving MONEY!
Call me a curmudgeon or any name that seems to fit, but I don't like forcing people to jump through hoops to get a "deal." After all, we all know why they are doing it - data mining. At a minimum, THEY will use the data for their own enrichment. More likely, they will also sell our data to make even more money. It's a principal that I'm standing for though many could care less and YMMV.

Call me a curmudgeon or any name that seems to fit, but I don't like forcing people to jump through hoops to get a "deal." After all, we all know why they are doing it - data mining. At a minimum, THEY will use the data for their own enrichment. More likely, they will also sell our data to make even more money. It's a principal that I'm standing for though many could care less and YMMV.
Koolau, you are being data mined if you have anything digital. Plus, all your "info" is already out there for the taking. Remember when your SS number was your Medicare number? ?‍? Ever been in the military? You are not an island.

Last edited:
Koolau, you are being data mined if you have anything digital. Plus, all your "info" is already out there for the taking. Remember when your SS number was your social security number? ?‍? Ever been in the military? You are not an island.
I know you are right, but when they are blatant about it I guess I dig my heels in. Probably a silly move on my part, but sometimes you just have had enough (could be that I had been flying all day and hadn't slept in 30 hours.) :cool:

I'll play their digital game!

CVS sends d-coupons all the time. 30-40% off one item. $10 off $30, etc.

Almost once a week we get a 30 or 40% off coupon. We buy items that we use all the time and are already a fair price in the local market. Easy game, when you are retired and can go to the store when ever you want.

Back
Top Bottom