Your Bucket List Disappointments

Most of my long list has been completed with many more items experienced that I had never planned on. There are still some adventures I would like to try and others to repeat but time is short and body/mind is not going to cooperate. No regrets but I did have to shift gears.

Cheers!

About my only bucket list item was to visit The Wave in Arizona. It took me 5 years to get the permit.

Attachments

• DSC_0749fb.jpg
    DSC_0749fb.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 81
Speaking of skipping the line. When in Rome for a week we rented an apartment just outside the Vatican gates. My DW wanted to send postcards with the Vatican postmark. So the first day there we went to the V. Post Office. While there she was speaking to a sweet little old English lady who invited us on a tour of St. Peter's. For free. And it was leaving now. Seems she had a couple cancellations so we tagged along. We walked right past the thousands of people who had been standing in line for hours. She smiled at the guards who smiled back and we just walked right in. Spent a few hours as she explained everything to us. Got real lucky that day.
We also did the Scavi Tour which takes you down into the catacombs to see St. Peter's grave and others.
But the Sistine Chapel was shoulder to shoulder packed with people. I did manage to sneak some nice pictures of the ceiling.

Unfortunate thread title since most posts start out denying any list. But there are things people tried and were disappointed, which is good info.

Recently, I realized that all of my travel disappointments had something in common: signs in the door that said "restrooms are for customers only", hehehe!

River cruising was something I thought I'd like, but didn't. I liked the on-board experience better than ocean cruising, despite not having as many distractions. The problem was it was more like a bus tour. The shore excursions are included, so you're off the ship and onto a bus every day, following a guide holding up a paddle. Not my cup of tea.

Speaking of skipping the line. When in Rome for a week we rented an apartment just outside the Vatican gates. My DW wanted to send postcards with the Vatican postmark. So the first day there we went to the V. Post Office. While there she was speaking to a sweet little old English lady who invited us on a tour of St. Peter's. For free. And it was leaving now. Seems she had a couple cancellations so we tagged along. We walked right past the thousands of people who had been standing in line for hours. She smiled at the guards who smiled back and we just walked right in. Spent a few hours as she explained everything to us. Got real lucky that day.
We also did the Scavi Tour which takes you down into the catacombs to see St. Peter's grave and others.
But the Sistine Chapel was shoulder to shoulder packed with people. I did manage to sneak some nice pictures of the ceiling.

When we were there in Rome, our tour guide (prearranged tour) for the V was an employee; we avoided all lines, went through areas that the normal public doesn't see, and bypassed the otherwise many delays.
AFA the V post office area.... beware the numerous pickpockets that frequent the spot (especially the Roma "grandmothers" and the roving groups of kids).
We kept a close watch, having read of the various ways to either distract etc, and they seemed to realize that we weren't going to be an easy mark .... others might not have been as astute.

I will say that the places I wanted to see and eventually got were not disappointments. I lived Machu Pichu. I enjoyed Lake Titticaca more than I expected to.

The closest thing to a disappointment for me was Prague. It was in credibly crowded when we were there. The other disappointment was our last camping and kayaking trip. I realized that sleeping in a tent on the ground no longer worked for us. If you have things you want to do…don’t delay.

For me it was Pine Island, Sanabel Island and FL Keys - especially Key West FL. I had heard very good things about all three locations and was very disappointed upon actually visiting. The gulf had about 1/4 inch of waves, there wasn't a breath of wind, the temps were hot (Robin Williams in "Good Morning Viet Nam" hot) and most of the structures looked tacky. Everything was tourist-expensive.

We were taking our "last look" around the mainland to see if there just might be a better place to retire than the Islands. After all, even South FL is a lot closer to "home" than Oahu. Plus, you don't need to use an airplane to get to any place in the continental US/Canada/Mexico/etc.

Oddly, the one place we thought we could possibly live was St. Augustine FL which we looked at on the way "home." It was close, but no cigar. I'd say it's our back up if the Islands don't w*rk out for us. YMMV

About my only bucket list item was to visit The Wave in Arizona. It took me 5 years to get the permit.

Why did it take 5 years, was there something special about the permit, does this mean pretty much anyone wanting to see it and take a few photos has a many year wait ?

Why did it take 5 years, was there something special about the permit, does this mean pretty much anyone wanting to see it and take a few photos has a many year wait ?

Permits are very restricted.
Managed by the Bureau of Land Management, for years, only 20 lucky people per day were allowed to visit Coyote Buttes North and The Wave in Arizona. In February 2021, the BLM approved an increase in the daily hiker quota to 64 people, or 16 groups, whichever comes first.

And, even with 5 years wait, congrats!

DW was interested, but we've not gotten luck on that one. Fortunately, we ended up enjoying a large number of other box canyons in the general area.

I loved everything on my bucket list. I think the fact that I overthink everything before I do them actually helps in this area.

Only one thing I wanted to do when I retired. That was to build my house in the mountains. I figured it would take 3 or 4 years. It has been 10 years. I'm still working on it so i guess it is still on my bucket list. I don't think I will ever build another one. :)

Thought it would be fun to list the items that were on your bucket list and once you did that item, were disappointed and won't do that item again :(

Something like took a cruise, but then was seasick. Or tried a new hobby and failed or unable to get excited about continuing it. Or travel to somewhere and it was not a nice visit. Or bought that long sought car and it was a lemon.

So let's hear your bucket list disappointments :)

From reading this responses, the problem with interesting places to visit is the same problem nice places to live have-----to many people want to enjoy the same thing.

From reading this responses, the problem with interesting places to visit is the same problem nice places to live have-----to many people want to enjoy the same thing.

Minimise disappointment; Youtube 4K videos:
https://youtu.be/MNdZpdRa6tc

Likely outcome - satisfied or inspired.

Dodge crowds: Late autumn early winter or late winter early spring.

Last edited:
I never take any of my trips during the height of tourist season. For instance the week we were in Rome was in February. This year I am going to Europe in April.

I never take any of my trips during the height of tourist season. For instance the week we were in Rome was in February. This year I am going to Europe in April.

Yeah, I always go to the midwest in ragweed season. Helps me recall why I left.:blush:

When I was 8 years old, I read a book about the famous archaeologist Howard Carter and how he discovered King Tutankhamen's tomb. Ever since then, I have I wanted to go to Egypt and see the Valley of the Kings for myself. And, after 55 years, that dream finally came true this past October. It was a grand and glorious trip. We saw all the wonders of ancient Egypt, cruised the Nile on a dahabiyah for four nights, ate well and had a great time.

But, the tomb of Tutankhamen was actually not all that impressive. It was small and crowded and the designs were just painted on the wall rather than carved into the stone and then painted like the other tombs. And aside from his mummy in a glass case, there was nothing else in the tomb.

Going inside the Great Pyramid of Khufu at Giza was also somewhat disappointing. First, it is about 100 deg. inside, and for about the first 100 feet you are climbing through a tunnel angled up at about 30 degrees. It is roughly 3 feet by 4 feet, so you are hunched over the whole time, nose to tail with the people ahead and behind while squeezing past sweaty people coming the other way. After awhile, you reach the grand gallery, which is tall enough to stand up, but still only about 3 feet wide with a press of people coming the other way. And your reward is the King's Chamber, which is plain stone room completely devoid of any decoration whatsoever. No paintings, no hieroglyphics, no nothing.

I will say that those were only minor disappointments, and I'm still glad we went.

Egypt has always been on my bucket list. I think about 15 years ago was a better time to go security-wise. I'm glad you got to experience your childhood dream even if it was not as expected.

I have a fairly lengthy bucket list and have been steadily checking things off for several years. I've had a few "I can't believe I had that on my bucket list" but mostly because they have been pretty mundane things. Machu Pichu is on it so maybe that will be my first dissappointment.

From reading this responses, the problem with interesting places to visit is the same problem nice places to live have-----too many people want to enjoy the same thing.

I agree. Many of my disappointments have been due to crowds and I was a participant. I've found other ways to enjoy those places- just wandering the city or finding small museums rather than waiting in line for the big attractions, keeping my eyes out for flyers announcing a concert or play that looks interesting (DH and I happened upon a Little Theatre" performance of "Blithe Spirit" in Edinburgh once), poking through grocery stores to see what the locals eat. and maybe taking stuff back to the hotel for an economical dinner. I ate a lot of tzatziki in Greece!

A secretary at a previous job went to Paris with her husband. I think they had a modest budget and she had a whole list of "Must-do's" including lunch at a sidewalk cafe. You know the movie scenes- only the occasional passers-by, it's so quiet you can hear the accordion music in the background...Uh-huh. And the movies don't show prices. I went there a few months later and a bowl of onion soup in a picturesque little cafe was 9 Euros. :eek:

They did not enjoy Paris.

That reminds me, the Trevi fountain in Rome. Every movie shows a gorgeous lonely place that looks so spacious. Surprise, it's surrounded by crowded buildings and shoulder to shoulder people.
On our last day in Rome my DW asked me what I would like to see. Quick google search and we spent a good part of the day at the Capuchin Monk museum. Bizarre but very interesting.
We like to find out of the way places that aren't as popular, hence not as crowded.

The most beautiful moon-less sky I ever experienced was while sitting in a hot tub at a remote cabin near the base of Mt. Hood. It was a moment that I re-live quite often.

My best star gazing was at the top of Mauna Kea in the bed of our Toyota 4x4 truck. Freezing temps and hot chocolate, but so many stars it was very hard to make out constellations.

I always wanted to brew my own beer. I figured out that buying beer in the store and drinking it is a lot more fun.

Yup. Been there, done that. A whole lot of work for something easily bought in a store with better selections.

I think my number 2 disappointment (probably not technically bucket list - since I went at age 17) was the canals of Venice. Grotty to the max! The whole venice experience was pretty good, actually, but the canals were like open garbage dumps.

Same feeling I have when I see trash on the beach or blowing across the roads here in Paradise. Tourists don't do that - I've never seen it - it's people who live here. What are they thinking.

Returning you now...

I think my number 2 disappointment (probably not technically bucket list - since I went at age 17) was the canals of Venice. Grotty to the max! The whole venice experience was pretty good, actually, but the canals were like open garbage dumps.

Same feeling I have when I see trash on the beach or blowing across the roads here in Paradise. Tourists don't do that - I've never seen it - it's people who live here. What are they thinking.

Returning you now...

We walked well inland on the island away from the crowds and found that enjoyable. We ate in a locals restaurant. There was also a resident village where the permanent residents stay on the island. It was fun to see the non tourist areas of Venice. Otherwise the old town was super touristy.

The best stargazing I ever experienced was when I was the Officer of the Deck up on the sail of my submarine, driving on the surface hundreds of miles out in the ocean. No light pollution at all. Second best was northern Vermont on a bitterly cold but crystal clear winter night.

For me, it was on a DE running darkened ship around Viet Nam way back when.
In addition to the stars, the wake was phosphorescent.

Back
Top Bottom