35, just passed $1 million and re-assessing our plan

Do keep in mind that the "official" inflation rate does not include many expenses that occur in day-to-day life. Healthcare expenses, especially home healthcare (for all those people who are solemnly vowing to never go into a facility), has risen faster than official inflation rates on a consistent basis.

The 'active phase' of retirement means spending on travel, restaurants, & entertainment goes up - sometimes way, way up, LOL. Consider what you would spend on a fun 2-week vacation (not necessarily your 'dream' trip, but one level higher than you normally would spend).

Then multiply that by how many 'bucket list' trips you think you're going to want to take in the first 2-5 years. You'll need to be comfortable with that amount. Remember to take into account any expenses that continue even when you aren't home, as well.

We were fortunate to do our first 2 yrs of retirement travels during The Great Recession of 2010-2011. Hotel prices were low, restaurant waitstaff practically wept with joy to see a couple come in to dine, discounts were everywhere.

Fast forward a decade, and what a change! Even before the jump in inflation hit, I remarked to Spouse that prices for our travels had risen 25-40% from those first years. And of course, they've continued to jump ever since.

Fortunately our income has increased so we still have a sizable discretionary budget. But although some items in our original planned retirement budget were priced on target, everyday things like public utility rates and remodeling costs have soared well past what we thought, 20 yrs ago, they would be.

So a long way of saying to the OP, you can do your own financial planning (we did, and our CFP firm complimented us on it), as long as you stay conservative on your income projections but build a comfortable amount of 'wiggle room' in your expense estimates. We used 20% as our 'extra' added budget itemizing, but YMMV.

Great start to your financial security, and best of luck going forward.

Seems you me you can probably just live your life and see how it goes. No need to decide now when you will retire. That may depend, among other things, on how much you enjoy your work over the next X years, the extent to which your work is interfering with other things you want to do, your expenses, investment returns, your health, whether and where your kids decide to go to college, any help you need to provide to other people, and lots of other not-entirely-predictable stuff. You are, as others have said, off to a great start. So maybe just keep on keeping on, and see how it goes.

Exciting times and nice posts for the OP!

We are older (myself Al most 46 and 48) and see the finish line and it is incredibly motivating to be within 20% of being done (at around $3.5M liquid, target 30X and over $4M should be enough, target age is 50/51 when kids are in college)

Keep on chugging along OP. Magic happens in your 40s with the great start you have.

One thing that bit me was company stock, I did not count on it and it was not that much but I should have dumped more along the way , sometimes SHTF and now its worth 10x / 3x less than their glory days. Both of the company stocks I have/had were on Mega brands that built America on Discovery yesterday .

Back
Top Bottom