Blow that Dough 2024

Our BTD's are few and far between. DW will not let me buy any of the things on my list. Pole barn, mini ranch, Cadillac, etc. And we can't splurge too much on travel due to our eldercare situation with MIL.

But I'm thinking about hiking hut to hut in the SanJuans. If I can convince my hiking group that they can do it despite knee replacements and cardiac issues.

But I'm thinking about hiking hut to hut in the SanJuans. If I can convince my hiking group that they can do it despite knee replacements and cardiac issues.
The San Juans are so beautiful. I hope you get the chance. This reminds me that I need to get back over there soon.

We're not hikers, more offroad riders, but do enjoy having the San Juans at our back door.

Our BTD's are few and far between. DW will not let me buy any of the things on my list. Pole barn, mini ranch, Cadillac, etc. And we can't splurge too much on travel due to our eldercare situation with MIL.

That would be a great trip. Good Luck.

Heading to San Antonio then on to Rockport with the kids. Bought a 12v car refrigerator for this & future trips. Hopefully it will be handy for short road trips & camping. Just looking forward to not buying ice...

Heading to San Antonio then on to Rockport with the kids. Bought a 12v car refrigerator for this & future trips. Hopefully it will be handy for short road trips & camping. Just looking forward to not buying ice...
Let us know how that goes for you. I was always skeptical of those.

We have a Dometic 40 quart fridge that can go down to 0ºF and works on 120vac or 12vdc. Works great in the car to carry frozen seafood on our 3 day trip to our cabin. We unplug it at night at the hotel and plug it in while we drive during the day. We've had it for about 8 years.

First glance, the cheap one I decided to buy went from 73F to 32F in ~12 minutes. It goes to -4 if needed. My next test is how long my 300w battery pack will run it @32F...heading to the beach next week and curious to see how it works there.

Euhomey 37qt is currently <$200.Comment on the weak handle is pretty accurate... But I do like the removable baskets are going to be convenient.

First glance, the cheap one I decided to buy went from 73F to 32F in ~12 minutes. It goes to -4 if needed. My next test is how long my 300w battery pack will run it @32F...heading to the beach next week and curious to see how it works there.

Euhomey 37qt is currently <$200.Comment on the weak handle is pretty accurate... But I do like the removable baskets are going to be convenient.

I was curious - the one linked has an actual compressor, which I'd expect to work well.

Some of the other 12V units use a solid state device (Peltier module - Thermoelectric module), which are nice with no moving parts (but they need one or two fans, so not really in practice). But they are very marginal and not nearly as efficient as a compressor, and I'd be skeptical of those as well.

Hut to hut hiking in the
I have an EV* and these car refrigerators are brilliant for long road trips. Very low power and efficient. Ours will run on 110AC as well as car DC and we plug it in the hotel room at night.

Yeah, and no ice!

*in case you are wondering our EV battery could power one for 2 months. You just have to watch it with a 12V car battery for long periods when the car is not running. We have an Alpicool unit.

Last edited:
Stacking a voluntary BTD on top of a necessitated BTD.

Mid-May our 2-year old pup randomly broke his leg and needed surgery. We're about $5K into it, with another $500+ likely to come. We were very fortunate to have a skilled veterinary surgeon in town and available on the day of the break. Rowan is recovering nicely. Being ER means we've been here to limit his activity and not leave him home alone. He currently gets professional massages and cold laser therapy twice a week, and will progress to aqua treadmill work after his 8-week follow-up x-rays.

The fun spend will be this fall when I travel to NYC for the first time in over 2 decades. It will also be my first pleasure-only trip to New York. Today I booked my first ever First Class tickets. I am not using points, rewards, or anything that reduces the cost. I want the comfort, service, and early boarding to help ease my nerves and set the scene for a special trip.

I will be visiting my birth mom, who we've only known for 5 years. She spent a few days with us the year we found each other, but we had a major distraction in my (now deceased) adoptive mom was in the hospital locally at that time. DW has been gently suggesting I get another visit in while mom is healthy, and this is the year to make it happen. Mom's going to BTD and will pick up my hotel charges (I gulped before telling her how much, event though she specified which hotel).

Being in NYC will naturally present other BTD options. I suspect that normal things like buying breakfast will feel like BTD compared to our regular approach to things.

Kind regards,
Chris

I was curious - the one linked has an actual compressor, which I'd expect to work well.

Some of the other 12V units use a solid state device (Peltier module - Thermoelectric module), which are nice with no moving parts (but they need one or two fans, so not really in practice). But they are very marginal and not nearly as efficient as a compressor, and I'd be skeptical of those as well.
Yeah, the non-compressor type is not an option imo. They are only able to go 30-40 deg lower than ambient, so 40-50 degrees in 90 degree weather.

I'm doing a test of taking room temp water bottles ~10 & setting it on 0 deg and see if it can make them solid ice.

Regarding the power, I've heard the eco mode will be a low power option for longer trips and thankfully I have 2 cig chargers, 1 for the fridge and 1 for the battery backup. We'll see how it works for the next week on the road and hotels.

What's the actual amp draw at 12v?
They are generally rated in terms of power use in Watts.

Ours says “average power consumption” 45W, elsewhere “rated power” 45W. I imagine it’s variable depending on conditions. Amazon.com

It’s extremely quiet as well which is lovely.

Last edited:
They are generally rated in terms of power use in Watts.

Ours says “average power consumption” 45W, elsewhere “rated power” 45W. I imagine it’s variable depending on conditions. Amazon.com

It’s extremely quiet as well which is lovely.
Thanks! So then it draws close to 4 amps.

Thanks! So then it draws close to 4 amps.
Ours was pulling ~42w (while condenser was running) based on the battery power station. It would cycle on/off & the 300wh battery was at 15% after running for about 20 hrs to maintain 33 degrees on eco mode.

It'll be a starting point for information about running power needed for a camping trip.

I pulled the trigger on a BTD purchase yesterday when I placed a Costco online order for a new 75" TV. Our 5 1/2 year old 65" LG is working fine but we thought the upcoming Olympic Games would be a good excuse to BTD and upgrade to a premium model with a larger screen.

I've been doing a lot of research on what to buy, initially thinking I wanted an OLED screen. Our family room has a lot of windows which means it is very bright and I learned that an LED screen may be a better choice for a bright location. After a couple of weeks of indecision I narrowed my choices down to a 77" OLED and a 75" Neo QLED model. Our nearest Best Buy had those two exact models on display, side by side. I could tell no difference at all between the two, so I went with the LED which was slightly less than the OLED.

I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I checked Costco.com and saw that overnight they had reduced the price on TV we ordered. I submitted a price adjustment request, something Costco makes easy to do.

FWIW, there are currenly some nice discounts on 2023 models as the 2024's started arriving in March. In my case, I paid 40% less than the '24 model with essentially the same specifications.

Great buy, and that’s a big screen. What would your 20 years younger self have to say about a 75” screen? :)
He would think the idea of a 75" screen was science fiction. He would also be convinced that the fact that I blew all that dough on something as frivolous as a TV set was a clear indication of dementia.

I want to BTD but I'm being patient and still hope to add to my ranch. The guy that borders me said he will call sometime to talk about selling.

Despite the fact that we will be moving to a CCRC in the next 3-5 years, we have made some investments in our home recently. I expect/hope they will add to the value when we sell it. But if not, the first will provide peace of mind and the second much pleasure.
11517DE3-2BC9-4194-97B9-8413492A35F7_1_105_c.jpeg
IMG_2636.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2635.jpeg
    IMG_2635.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom