Car shopping

My husband totaled my little 2005 Nissan Sentra today. It wasn't a fancy car or a beautiful car but it has sure been reliable. So now we need a new car. I'm thinking something along the lines of a Honda CR-V (maybe). Am I best off going to dealership or CarMax? It doesn't have to be a new car. Slightly used with relatively low mileage is fine. Any thoughts on the best way to go car shopping? Haven't had to do this in years.
The Best Buy in America is a new Hyundai Venue. 10 years warranty, SEL loaded with features and here in Ohio cost is mid 20s. Next is Chevy Equinox also some in mid 20s. You’ll get hosed on used car deal unless you are real lucky.

CDK hackers want “millions” in ransom to end outage.

CDK is planning to make the payment, according to information provided to Bloomberg.

Attackers are an “Eastern European cybercrime group”.

CDK provides computer services to dealers. Right now it’s down and thousands of dealers are doing things the old fashioned way, pen and paper.

I bought a car :dance: 2023 Mazda CX-5 with < 5,000 miles on the odometer. I wanted only a red or blue car so it will stand out in the parking lots from all the black, white and silver/gray cars. This is a very red car 😄
Mazda CX-5.jpg

My husband totaled my little 2005 Nissan Sentra today. It wasn't a fancy car or a beautiful car but it has sure been reliable. So now we need a new car. I'm thinking something along the lines of a Honda CR-V (maybe). Am I best off going to dealership or CarMax? It doesn't have to be a new car. Slightly used with relatively low mileage is fine. Any thoughts on the best way to go car shopping? Haven't had to do this in years.

I bought a car :dance: 2023 Mazda CX-5 with < 5,000 miles on the odometer. I wanted only a red or blue car so it will stand out in the parking lots from all the black, white and silver/gray cars. This is a very red car 😄View attachment 51393
Beautiful! Our DIL has one of these, a few years older. She loves it. Well-made and reliable. Enjoy!

I bought a car :dance: 2023 Mazda CX-5 with < 5,000 miles on the odometer. I wanted only a red or blue car so it will stand out in the parking lots from all the black, white and silver/gray cars. This is a very red car 😄View attachment 51393
Our Trax is very blue, as well.

1719016913280.png

It's only got 464 miles on it so far but we also prefer a vehicle with color over all of the greyscale out there lately. And don't even get me started on the "shiny primer" and "black wheel" fads of today.
Congrats on finding a vehicle!

My brother-in-law loves the CR-V - he's on his fourth. I have a Subaru Outback. After searching for literally a year for a used mid sized SUV that I felt safe driving and would be comfortable for long distances (no model/year was satisfactory), I found a new Outback was just a few thousand more. And while looking at used cars, I never saw a Subaru available (owners keep them a loooong time). I've now owned it 7 years.

How often will you be driving a car and how far? Do you need something with a lot of room to carry things? Do you need something small enough to be towed by a RV? Is gas mileage/insurance costs a factor? If you and your husband decided to scale down to one car in retirement, which car will be sold?

Honda has been experiencing mechanical problems with the CRV. I would avoid it. I looked at a Toyota RAV 4, but found the driving position uncomfortable. Toyota makes a smaller SUV, the Cross, but I haven't seen one yet.
I got a cross as a rental. hated it. the doors came up high meaning there was much less window/visibility on each side. And in the passenger seat I felt like I was literally tucked under the dash. i was miserable. Im accustomed to a newish SUbaru Forester that has a very low "beltline" i.e. lots of window and lower door. Lots of windshield and lower dash. More like a greenhouse. In the cross I felt like I was peeking out one of those ceiling windows form a basement apartment and barely seeing the street above.

My brother-in-law loves the CR-V - he's on his fourth. I have a Subaru Outback. After searching for literally a year for a used mid sized SUV that I felt safe driving and would be comfortable for long distances (no model/year was satisfactory), I found a new Outback was just a few thousand more. And while looking at used cars, I never saw a Subaru available (owners keep them a loooong time). I've now owned it 7 years.

How often will you be driving a car and how far? Do you need something with a lot of room to carry things? Do you need something small enough to be towed by a RV? Is gas mileage/insurance costs a factor? If you and your husband decided to scale down to one car in retirement, which car will be sold?
Today I will be driving it 60 miles one way and then back. Mostly it will be for around town, but I'm considering driving out to Santa Fe to see my sister (I'm in KY). We occasionally need to carry large things. Don't own an RV. Insurance cost is not a factor. Already retired. Our other car is already 17 years old (although only has 60,000 miles on it) so we wanted something newer. Don't plan to downsize to one car. We are happy with the purchase.

Shop based on size/features. The CR-V is a pretty big vehicle today compared to your Sentra. Maybe more than you need? FWD vs AWD. Curb weight. Parking. Garage size/fit.

Test drive something like a Subaru Crosstrek (compact) with a CR-V (mid size).

If you have no brand preference, then every car manufacturer has a mid-sized SUV, a compact/smaller SUV. Lots to choose from. Good luck!
After driving Toyota Corolla's for about 20 years. I got my wife a Crosstrek two years ago. Last year I got myself one. That Crosstrek will run rings around a Toyota. Plus, at Consumer Reports it is rated #1 in its category. Wife has the premier edition, and I have the Sport edition.

Our Trax is very blue, as well.

View attachment 51394

It's only got 464 miles on it so far but we also prefer a vehicle with color over all of the greyscale out there lately. And don't even get me started on the "shiny primer" and "black wheel" fads of today.
Congrats on finding a vehicle!
^^^^^^^ This, I can't for the life of me understand the "shiney primer" thing. They are ugly! Also lately The fad of what ever color the body is then a black top.

My very practical daughter has a four year old Subaru Forester SUV. It has been trouble free for her. She is meticulous about oil changes, fluid checks, and brake checks because she likes to keep cars a long time. She uses it for her daily commute and occasional 800 mile each way trip to visit relatives out of state. She says she feels very safe and comfortable on the highway. When she bought it new, she changed out the OEM tires for Michelin brand tires for safety reasons.

I had to replace a car in January of this year. I used autotrader.com and cars.com to hunt a car down. I went with a CPO Lexus with low miles. The CPO cars (certified pre-owned) from a dealer offer a warranty that is almost the same as a new car warranty. I did find some CPOs with reported accidents on Carfax. (the car(s) were restored to as new condition and could be CPO'd.) Watch out. I went some distance for the CPO to both get a great price and LOW paperwork fees. Watch out on the fees too. I only paid $150. Some dealers charge several hundred. Sedans go for less than SUVs - they're not as popular. Resale will suffer too. Toyota (or Lexus) tend to be less error prone than other makes. Check consumer reports for particular models and reviews. I have owned several Toyotas and Lexuses and will keep buying. I found prices at CARMAX to be high. Watch out for firms like Carvana - there have been reports of title delay issues. Check dealership and car manufacturer social media reviews. As always you will find some cranky, never happy, customers - but there will be honest good and bad reviews as well. Good Luck!

I have a green car and pickup truck. No, not that kind of green, it is the color, metallic green.

Back
Top Bottom