Costco comments and questions

I don't know if this varies by location, but our local Costco limits the number of people that can enter using one card. I can't remember if it's 2 total or 2 plus the member, but it's definitely not an extended family.
As far as I know, it is 2 guests plus the member. What I just recently learned is that guests technically are no longer allowed to purchase (although I just did exactly that with my DS recently at the local COSTCO and they allowed him to use his own credit card to pay for his stuff just fine). So, technically, you may have to buy anything your guests want on your card and pay for it. Obviously, what you do afterwards in terms of reimbursements is none of COSTCOs business.

I guess I'll chalk this up to that fine line of it feels wrong but it's technically ok to do. Kind of like Megacorps laying off workers and replacing them with cheaper outsourced workers?
IOW, the member is subsidizing her cheapskate friends. How nice, but does she have to do it with my money also?

Does Costco do online ordering and delivery, like Amazon? This morning we ordered a bit over $300 of stuff from Amazon, everything from some grocery items to lawn care to computer and hobby stuff. If Costco offers similar, I'd be open to a membership. But the long lines and lack of parking are deal-killers for me.

They do, but they also price differently for regular store items, things online are more expensive than in the store plus they charge a fee for delivery until you get up to a certain price.

Sam's club highest membership has free delivery for many items, and charges the same price as in the store.

I find Costco's good for online order of large items when I consider price and return ability (can return to store) for large items, otherwise I shop in the store.

IOW, the member is subsidizing her cheapskate friends. How nice, but does she have to do it with my money also?
While I could see, once in a blue moon buying for my friend or taking them along and then getting repaid by them. It would be such a hassle that it would be rare to do it frequently.

As far as I know, it is 2 guests plus the member. What I just recently learned is that guests technically are no longer allowed to purchase (although I just did exactly that with my DS recently at the local COSTCO and they allowed him to use his own credit card to pay for his stuff just fine). So, technically, you may have to buy anything your guests want on your card and pay for it. Obviously, what you do afterwards in terms of reimbursements is none of COSTCOs business.
“Anyone with a card can bring up to two guests to the Warehouse during each visit. Keep in mind that purchasing items is exclusive to Costco members.”

Costco should allow non-members to make purchases, I don’t know that it was ever allowed.

And while Costco can’t know if you’re buying for a non-member and being reimbursed later, it is dishonest. Guess that means nothing to some.

I learned something about Costco today. My practice has always been to go right when they open in the morning on a weekday. Always stayed away on the weekend because I assumed it would be a mob scene.
But I needed something and got there today (Saturday) right when they opened, and it was exactly the same as on a weekday, no crowd at all. Good to know.
Last Sunday, I went to the Costco gas station at 9:45 a.m. and it was relatively painless because I use the German pumps. I drove by the entrance on my way out and there was a big scrum of people with shopping carts waiting for the doors to open. Maybe it's just the initial rush and they trickle in after that and spread out all over the store, but I sure didn't want to join them.

I am wondering how you can think that any of this is on your dime?

Even if all 'cheapskates' bought a membership the cost of a membership would not change.... so the cost to you of people doing this costs you nothing...

I am wondering how you can think that any of this is on your dime?

Even if all 'cheapskates' bought a membership the cost of a membership would not change.... so the cost to you of people doing this costs you nothing...
Most of Costco’s profit is from the membership fees. Fewer fees = less profit = Costco might raise prices.

Costco essentially reaps all of its profit from its membership fees. That’s right— a Twitter thread that went viral over the weekend explained to the general public what most experts in retail circles have known for some time — its high volume of sales and rapid turnover of inventory are not the real reason Costco is so profitable: it’s the memberships.

Besides I pay to be a member and thus feel cheated by others who freeload often. People who take advantage of their return policy already ruined it for electronics at Costco. And for everything at REI.

My 2¢.

Last edited:
If my renewal month is August does that mean I can shop through August or only July? I just don't use my membership enough to justify the full cost, so I'll non-renew & wait for a groupon or credit card discount. TIA!

Most of Costco’s profit is from the membership fees. Fewer fees = less profit = Costco might raise prices.

Besides I pay to be a member and thus feel cheated by others who freeload often. People who take advantage of their return policy already ruined it for electronics at Costco. And for everything at REI.

My 2¢.
I will agree that feeling cheated is not great... but as I mentioned I do not think there is enough cheating to have them change the price of the membership... so no financial cost to you...

I will agree that the people who 'cheat' on the return policy is bad for everybody... I used to work at Woolco and they had an expansive return policy... I remember someone bringing back a weed whacker that they used the whole summer for a full refund... it looked horrible but they gave him a full refund... one of the reasons it went out of business...

BTW, you used to be able to buy stuff without a membership... I did back in 2000... I did not buy much, maybe every two or three months about $100 or so... no reason to buy a membership being single and not spending much...

BTW, you used to be able to buy stuff without a membership... I did back in 2000... I did not buy much, maybe every two or three months about $100 or so... no reason to buy a membership being single and not spending much...
Sam’s Club policy says that nonmembers pay a 10% upcharge on purchases.

Sam’s Club policy says that nonmembers pay a 10% upcharge on purchases.
Wow.... I think Costco (and I am right as I just looked it up) is 5%...

When you only buy $600 or so that is only $30.. so less than a membership...

Now that the kids are gone I have been thinking about getting rid of my Sam's subscription but DW seems to want to keep it even though I am the one that goes there and shops... in the big picture the cost is a nothing burger...

Last Sunday, I went to the Costco gas station at 9:45 a.m. and it was relatively painless because I use the German pumps. I drove by the entrance on my way out and there was a big scrum of people with shopping carts waiting for the doors to open. Maybe it's just the initial rush and they trickle in after that and spread out all over the store, but I sure didn't want to join them.
Can you explain why it's relatively painless because I use the German pumps

I wonder if those who were in the military would risk allowing someone to use their ID card to buy at the exchange or commissary. I would be afraid I would have my card revoked and lose my privileges. Should it be any different at Costco where the card is meant for just the member.

I went into the Costco here in Leesburg VA a couple of days ago, and they were doing something new. As I entered, they scanned my membership card, looked at a screen, then looked at my face. If this is the new process, that would resolve the lending your card issue. But not the buying for people and getting repaid issue. Still, a step in the right direction (from a corporate POV).

Back
Top Bottom