DQOTD: When To Replace (Athletic) Shoes?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've probably always had tender feet, but it's become more apparent with age. I have never substantially damaged hiking, tennis, golf, running or pickleball shoes - so that's not a good indicator for me. I usually replaced them when the treads on the soles wore through. However, it seems outsoles are outlasting midsoles these days - but I don't know how to judge that proactively. I don't want to wait until my feet hurt to buy new ones.

To my surprise I recently woke up with a very sore left foot (ball of the foot) after walking eighteen holes of golf (as I do all the time) the day before. When I got home, I did a little research and found those shoes are 2 years old and have about 600 miles on them - so they are probably past their useful life, even though they still look fine. I also noticed my Keen sandals weren't comfortable after the bruised left foot - they are over 5 years old and worn almost daily in summer, so I am replacing them too.

I've searched online and the only guidance I've seen is running shoes are good for 300-500 miles, and wrinkles will appear in midsoles when they are starting to break down. But shoes can be work out regardless of miles with some high impact activities.

Anyone have a good method of proactively replacing athletic shoes before they start to hurt your feet?

I've always found it easy to notice when the cushioning in my running shoes is no longer adequate. But shoes have been getting better and better over the years. I used to seldom get more than a couple of hundred miles on them, but my last pair got over 630 miles and the ones before that got over 570 miles.

Not as dumb a question as when I asked the Home Depot woman when I should start mowing my lawn :)

I've probably always had tender feet, but it's become more apparent with age. I have never substantially damaged hiking, tennis, golf, running or pickleball shoes - so that's not a good indicator for me. I usually replaced them when the treads on the soles wore through. However, it seems outsoles are outlasting midsoles these days - but I don't know how to judge that proactively.
I'm quite hard on shoes, so will usually end up having pain due to uneven wear or ungluing of the sole/heel before loss of cushioning. Though I recently dug out a pair of shoes that I hadn't been wearing recently, and it's obvious that they have lost too much cushioning for all-day walking.

Agree that outsoles seem to outlast midsoles these days.

I just read an article on this and didn’t bookmark it. The gist was the better test is not mileage, it’s to grasp the shoe on the heel and toe, then twist in opposite directions. If the sole and middle remain tight and stiff the shoe is still good and can be worn.

Athletic shoes should not have birthdays. If you are putting actual mileage (walking/sports/etc.) then probably 8 months is a good rule.

When in doubt, try on a new pair and if it feels noticeably more supportive, it's time.

I was in a local sports store last week. One guy was buying a new pair of walking shoes. His big toe had literally wore a hole in the shoe fabric above the toe. Good for more ventilation, I suppose.

The sole looked like it was being held together with spit and rubber bands. Actually, he told me it was Shoe-Goop. He had re-glued the sole to the rest of the shoe, as well as built up the heal several times with the stuff.

If he had twisted the shoe as above, I imagine I think it would have failed the test.

You can't put a timeline on it. People are going to wear them out at different rates based on usage. I replace mine when I can physically see or feel that they need replaced, not by any timeline on the calendar.
His big toe had literally wore a hole in the shoe fabric above the toe. Good for more ventilation, I suppose.
I had that happen with a very nice pair of Nike running shoes that were otherwise in great condition, but I put some Medical Leukotape Sports Tape on the underside while the hole was very small, and it held up well.

According to my Fitbit app, I walk about 1,400 miles per year, on average. I walk every day in all kinds of weather.. I go through two pairs of high quality walking/hiking shoes per year based on my Amazon/REI purchases (alternate wearing shoes). The shoes are pretty well done at replacement time. This has been my history over the last 10 years of steady walking/hiking.

Shoes bought are waterproof Merrell and Keen brands, although a North Face selection was in the mix, but those fell apart early on..

Technically, I buy two pairs a year based on my walking routine.

Athletic shoes should not have birthdays. If you are putting actual mileage (walking/sports/etc.) then probably 8 months is a good rule.

When in doubt, try on a new pair and if it feels noticeably more supportive, it's time.
I buy most of my shoes online, so that's not an option.

I replace mine when I can physically see or feel that they need replaced...
That's what I am asking, how do you "see or feel" when midsoles have lost their cushioning?

That's what I am asking, how do you "see or feel" when midsoles have lost their cushioning?
With respect to that question, when the bottom sole is worn down significantly, and I can feel pebbles, etc, when walking, it's time to consider new shoes. Unlike you, my feet are pretty tough and I have never had any foot problems, even when I was running a lot. (hips, a different story)

how do you "see or feel" when midsoles have lost their cushioning?
I have one pair I only use in the house and a second pair that I use when I go out walking etc. So I start to feel the difference in cushioning when I change shoes to go out. Which reminds me that I really need to change to new ones. My next pair have been waiting in my closet for a month, I like to be prepared (or more so I like to buy the next pair whenever there is a sale, oh I wonder if there is a Memorial day sale?).

I’m no expert, but if your treads are not wearing after 600 miles, maybe they are not compliant enough (hard). Maybe try a different brand. I’ve been buying Rockport’s for years - they are comfortable and last for years - though I don’t run laps.

I've never replaced mine due to that reason. Seems like it's always something else wearing out for me, breaking, cracking, ripping away. My current running shoes are pretty worn on the bottom of the sole, so I probably will be needing new ones for that reason. I've actually never had the sole wear away that much before, and it's mostly on one shoe. The cushioning still feels good, though. And I do more walking than actual running. I've never had any issues with my feet except blisters when I got into some longer walks.

Looks like I better start looking for a pair to switch into.

I figure that replacing my shoes is less expensive than replacing my knees, so I work a new pair of running shoes into the rotation at least once a year.

To my surprise I recently woke up with a very sore left foot (ball of the foot) after walking eighteen holes of golf (as I do all the time) the day before......
Interesting subject and I don't have any comment on when a shoe is worn out. However, I did also have lots of soreness on my the ball of my foot last year (DW and I hiked 1334 miles last year so lots of wear and tear). I put good in inserts in most of my shoes and boots, which really increases the shoe drop and after several months of on-and-off pain it finally went away for good.

However, after recently listen to the following podcast, I have taken many of inserts back out. I also bought a pair of Altra hiking boots yesterday to put into my rotation (zero drop and wide toe box).

I figure that replacing my shoes is less expensive than replacing my knees, so I work a new pair of running shoes into the rotation at least once a year.
That may be the conclusion I come to, e.g. replace my golf shoes after 60-75 rounds. I have 2-3 different pairs of golf shoes, and play about 120 rounds a year, so I'd just cycle them through in sequence. We'll see.

I don’t know how to tell from looking at an existing pair of shoes, but I did just replace my golf shoes and man could I tell the difference. I think I’m just going to go ahead and buy new golf shoes every year. If I don’t notice as much of a difference, I’ll wait for two years next time.

I heard that they lasted longer when you rotate between pairs every day so last time I ordered 2 colors and rotate them day to day. I doubt I will notice a difference but possibly.

I would imagine it varies based on your gait, walking surface, and weight too.

I have very little ankle mobility according to the doc so they say I hit the ground pretty hard and need extra cushion even though I am relatively light.

Working on the ankles in PT (along with other things).

Last edited:
I've got six pair of golf shoes (Footjoys) that I rotate and four pair of tennis/gym shoes (New Balance/Sketchers) that I rotate as well. When the tread starts to wear I replace them. I've replaced the hard plastic spikes on some of the golf shoes which is a real PIA. I don't hesitate to buy good quality and comfortable footwear, especially golf shoes.

I have a certain shoe that I wear for walking. They tend to wear on the balls of the feet as they wear out. I find that on average I get 4 months out of a pair before I begin to notice my knees will start hurting and thus the signal its time to change.

I just got Hoka Bondi 8s after a lot of research and trying the on many times. After 8 days of use I am returning them as are painful. Back to my normal shoe.

I rotate 3 pairs of shoes for Pickleball. Since I play quite frequently, the bottom tread wearing out is my indicator for replacement.

I've got six pair of golf shoes (Footjoys) that I rotate and four pair of tennis/gym shoes (New Balance/Sketchers) that I rotate as well. When the tread starts to wear I replace them. I've replaced the hard plastic spikes on some of the golf shoes which is a real PIA. I don't hesitate to buy good quality and comfortable footwear, especially golf shoes.
I definitely agree with buying quality shoes ***. And I’ve just gone from 2 to 3 pairs of golf shoes, so I agree with rotating too. I used to replace athletic shoes when the outsoles had a lot of wear but IME midsoles give out before outsoles these days.

*** Hoka for walking. Payntr and Ecco for golf. Fila for pickleball. Oofos recovery slides (incredible). Keen, Merrell and Allen Edmonds for casual/dress. There are definitely other quality brands.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom