Dumbest Booking Error

There might have been a recent law change.

IDP just has some boilerplate language in multiple languages, nothing about specific individual licensing information.

AAA checks that you have a valid US driver's license and use puts your photo in a pre-printed jacket.

It's ridiculous that any country is requiring it. All it has is a stamp on the types of vehicles for which I'm verified to have a license.

But apparently it's some UN or other international convention that dozens of countries have signed on to.

I always travel with an IDP, but have rarely been asked for it when renting a car in Europe. It is required in some countries and I figure it’s better to have, especially if you get pulled over or have an accident. I look at it as an annoying travel tax.

I booked a round trip to Maui for DW and I for October. I had invited my brother and his wife to join us and gave him our flight itinerary. He messaged back that I had the return flight time wrong by 3 hours too early. I checked again and my time was right but the airline changed their flight to 3 hours later. I did a chat and later a phone call to the airline. They confirmed the later departure and kept asking.me to approve my reservation change. I asked why as if I had a choice and what my options were. They finally admitted to me that I had a right to change to any other flight in a 2 day window either side of my date or a complete refund on non refundable tickets. I chose not to approve but keep the reservation . Now if anything changes between now and departure, I have the right to change flights or a refund up to the time of departure.
Always ask what your rights are before agreeing to changes.

. I chose not to approve but keep the reservation . Now if anything changes between now and departure, I have the right to change flights or a refund up to the time of departure.
Good strategy. So you get a "get out of jail free" card to use on a bad booking if _they_ change your flight by more than some number of hours.

Good strategy. So you get a "get out of jail free" card to use on a bad booking if _they_ change your flight by more than some number of hours.
Yes. They told me if the flight changed by 2 hours or more, then those options kicked in. They did not tell me at first, they just concurred my finding and asked me to acknowledge the change. That got me suspicious, so I asked why they needed to ask, and what option did I have to them changing the departure time. I was hoping to maybe get a free pass to a hospitality suite for the extra wait time, but I think this is better.

One flight some years ago, the airline changed the departure time many times before the flight day, then they changed the gates a few times within hours of the flight taking off. I always wondered if some folks were left sitting at the wrong gates.

I also snickered at the mistakes folks made, and then just 2 months ago, nearly booked a hotel for the wrong night. Turns out it is really easy.

Back
Top Bottom