Examples of current inflation - add yours!

The smart people order through their app then walk into the store and pick up their food. The Drive Thru is for dummies and fools who like to waste their time. Or people who don’t bother to get dressed. 🙄
I submit that the "smart people" no longer go to these places but YMMV. :cool:

The smart people order through their app then walk into the store and pick up their food. The Drive Thru is for dummies and fools who like to waste their time. 🙄
If that's true, then there's a S***load of dummies/fools around here. Drivethru is much faster around here than going inside.

Why is everyone so infatuated with McD's? What is wrong with people? It is probably the worst place one can eat other than BK and KFC and are most likely at least partly responsible as to why there are so many overweight folks around. If anything, the price increases and inconvenience in ordering may help to keep them away. Why not go to Chic-Fil-A and have a grilled chicken sandwich? They along with Costco and maybe Culvers seem to know how to do Fast food better than others.

How about getting back on Topic.

Why is everyone so infatuated with McD's? What is wrong with people? It is probably the worst place one can eat other than BK and KFC and are most likely at least partly responsible as to why there are so many overweight folks around. If anything, the price increases and inconvenience in ordering may help to keep them away. Why not go to Chic-Fil-A and have a grilled chicken sandwich? They along with Costco and maybe Culvers seem to know how to do Fast food better than others.

My DW's trade association meeting had a McDonalds executive as a guest speaker (ca 1980?) He asked the audience (show of hands) "Who eats at McD when they travel?" Easily 2/3 of the group raised a hand. "Why? Is our food that good?" The man asked several folks to answer out loud and - to a person - they answered "Because I know exactly what I'm going to get and how much it's gonna cost, no matter what state, city or country I'm in."

THAT is why people go to McDs. YMMV

Returning you now to the inflation thread (maybe.)

I only visit McD's when I am on a road trip. McDs is fast, convenient, has descent coffee, and usually clean bathrooms.

My experience is that ordering a meal on the app in the parking lot and then going inside to eat it is less time consuming than waiting in the drive-thru lines, then going inside to use the bathroom, wash my hands, etc. I also get to stretch my legs after driving for hours. And, I don't get crumbs and coffee spills all over the interior of my chariot. :) YMMV.

I only visit McD's when I am on a road trip. McDs is fast, convenient, has descent coffee, and usually clean bathrooms.

My experience is that ordering a meal on the app in the parking lot and then going inside to eat it is less time consuming than waiting in the drive-thru lines, then going inside to use the bathroom, wash my hands, etc. I also get to stretch my legs after driving for hours. And, I don't get crumbs and coffee spills all over the interior of my chariot. :) YMMV.
I don't like food smelling up my car. If I pickup a pizza somewhere, I like to put the box in a plastic bag so it doesn't stink up my car. Anyway, I actually walked to Mickey D's this morning for a $2 egg/cheese/sausage McGriddles and a 75 cent senior coffee with refill and ate inside. Coffee was not very hot. About 4 miles round trip walk.

Are you calling me and my ROMEO group (and others here) not "smart" people? :mad:
Let’s not get personal here. I regret my previous comment has been taken so seriously and started this. I hold almost all member of this site in high regard.

Eat where you want and if Drive Thru floats your boat then great. Having stretched my legs and used the bathrooms I will be inside, keeping my car lean.

Let’s not get personal here. I regret my previous comment has been taken so seriously and started this. I hold almost all member of this site in high regard.

Eat where you want and if Drive Thru floats your boat then great. Having stretched my legs and used the bathrooms I will be inside, keeping my car lean.
Chuck, my comment was in response to Kooalu's post.

I doubt it contains anywhere near the minimum 10% butter fat ice cream legally requires to be called ice cream.
That's why they call it soft-serve. Up here call them creamees but I don't see that elsewhere. And of course, here in Vermont, maple creamees are the thing (they are good).

Looks like rampant deflation to me.
Gas prices in Connecticut have continued to drop for a fifth straight week, falling five cents in the last seven days, according to AAA Northeast. On Monday, a gallon of self-service regular averaged $3.57 in Connecticut, down 16 cents from a month ago. The national average is $3.44, down 9 cents from last week, and 19 cents from last month.
https://www.ctpost.com/business/article/ct-gas-prices-decline-summer-travel-19506920.php

I filled up for $3.33/gal yesterday.

Looks like rampant deflation to me.

https://www.ctpost.com/business/article/ct-gas-prices-decline-summer-travel-19506920.php

I filled up for $3.33/gal yesterday.
$3.09 at Sams. A far cry from the $4.30 I paid last month in Honolulu. But, not worth moving back to the Midwest (yet.)

By the way, since arriving a month ago, I've used 10 gallons of gas. So gas inflation (or disinflation) while very noticeable at the pump, isn't a huge deal to me no more than I drive. YMMV

Gas is down here to $3.429 here, but that's very high in my view. We have even higher gas taxes here than we used to, so I'll be surprised if I ever see decent prices again like we had pre-pandemic, when it was closer to $2/gal. I keep my driving down to try to offset the higher gas prices.

Yes.

But back to inflation. I have to begrudgingly admit that the original McDonald's concept included zero sit down space, and no bathrooms. Through the years, they included more and more amenities. I remember our local one (one of the first 100 stores) first added two tiny chairs along the outside wall, then an outdoor accessible restroom, then a small inside lobby where they had standing-only tables, then the complete re-do in the early 70s with full inside seating.

All those amenities added to their revenue and sales, but also costs.

Going back to the basics is an interesting retro move of sorts.

As long as they keep the ones near the highway the same, it would make sense. I almost only eat mcdonalds on road trips and I use them specifically because McDs bathrooms tend to be very clean, a heck lot cleaner than the gas stations. I always buy food to thank them for the use. I'm not sure what I would do if they went to drive thru only. I think because of the location I find they are much busier, oftentimes its alot of people who work out of their truck taking a break and older people. Its also one of the reasons McDonalds inflation hasn't been a big deal to me as i'm traveling on vacation typically so whats another $1 to the bill at that point.

Heads up. PlutoTV is currently running a string of 1973 "Price Is Right " episodes. Probably will be over by tomorrow.

Anyway, it is a hoot. What I notice is there may be more examples of deflation than inflation. Nearly every small appliance, for example, is the same or cheaper today. Fun stuff.

Anyway, it is a hoot. What I notice is there may be more examples of deflation than inflation. Nearly every small appliance, for example, is the same or cheaper today. Fun stuff.
Just looked up the blender I bought one year ago from Amazon. It's 10% higher now, although that's lower inflation than most things. The most expensive bills are also up about that much and sometimes triple that.

Heads up. PlutoTV is currently running a string of 1973 "Price Is Right " episodes. Probably will be over by tomorrow.

Just looked up the blender I bought one year ago from Amazon. It's 10% higher now, although that's lower inflation than most things. The most expensive bills are also up about that much and sometimes triple that.
Technology (going back to the industrial revolution) has always been anti-inflationary. Actual "Cost of Living" is primarily driven up by currency dilution (IMHO.) Not to put too fine a point on it and, admittedly, I'm no expert so YMMV.

Well, eggs took a sudden drop since my last trip to the store. $1.54/dz large. Everything else seems to be holding its price or going up.
Just over a week later, and the price soared to $1.78 for those same eggs. That's a 15.6% price hike. Milk was up as well. The only thing down now is gas, although it's still high, just not to the level it was, for now.

Just over a week later, and the price soared to $1.78 for those same eggs. That's a 15.6% price hike. Milk was up as well. The only thing down now is gas, although it's still high, just not to the level it was, for now.
Sorry, I can't get excited about any change in egg prices that is still under $2/dozen. They are often loss leaders. They fluctuate depending on the time of year, bird flu, etc.

I am not a dietician, but I would guess that is one of the cheapest source of protein available.

Travel costs are up considerably.

The sale price of my favored Argentinian Malbec plonk is up 13 percent from eight months ago even though the Argentine currency is in the toilet.

Chicken is down for us. Some canned goods are down a little.

The commodities go up and down based on demand, crops, and currency. Thinks like coffee, imported fruit and veg. Virgin olive oil, a staple for us, is up about 35 percent because of crop failures over the past six months.

We have stopped bitching about it. We either pay the freight, substitute, or simply do not buy certain items.

If you're looking on amazon, look a lot. Sometimes prices go up and down in the same day by 20%.

Sorry, I can't get excited about any change in egg prices that is still under $2/dozen. They are often loss leaders. They fluctuate depending on the time of year, bird flu, etc.

I am not a dietician, but I would guess that is one of the cheapest source of protein available.
I hope you didn't think I was excited now or even when eggs were down recently. 😆 That's minimal in either direction compared to my massive increase in homeowner's insurance for example. It just happened to be that ONE thing that was possibly at its lowest price over the last year until it was up again this trip, so worth mentioning because of that. Also, it had nothing to do with the comparative cost of other protein sources, only the price change on the specific product, which is what this thread is about.

Back
Top Bottom