Examples of current inflation - add yours!

Like I said, I avoid apps, so just one more reason not to go to McD's. It just seems ridiculous to me that one needs a phone to eat fast food, but maybe that's just me yelling at clouds - and "Get off my lawn."
You don't need to app unless you want to take advantage of some deal, like I have recently with $2 breakfast sandwiches, but that deal is about to end. I'm new to the app, so maybe the future deals won't be as good.

I got a 75 senior coffee this morning. The guy was bringing it to me said it wasn't very warm and that he could make some more. I said I would wait, so I actually got some hot coffee for once.

Like I said, I avoid apps, so just one more reason not to go to McD's. It just seems ridiculous to me that one needs a phone to eat fast food, but maybe that's just me yelling at clouds - and "Get off my lawn."
One does not need an app to eat fast food. You can just pay the posted prices if you want to eat there. The app just gets you discounts and ordering convenience. (y)

One does not need an app to eat fast food. You can just pay the posted prices if you want to eat there. The app just gets you discounts and ordering convenience. (y)
OK so we will charge those who cannot or do not have the App more. Typically older or technically challenged individuals. That seems smart! Not!

OK so we will charge those who cannot or do not have the App more. Typically older or technically challenged individuals. That seems smart! Not!
Correct, that's pretty much the business model these days in many fast food places. They want you to use the app (which is not that difficult to do) to have you place orders and pay ahead of time. That way, they need less counter help and can track inventory to an extent. My friends (all over 70 years old) use it at Whataburger daily and it's very effective and saves us money. I have a hard time seeing resistance to using these apps.

July is expected to see another round of USPS price increases. The first class first ounce is set to rise 7.4% from 68 to 73 cents, and the additional ounce up 16.7% from 24 to 28 cents. For those who still mail a fair amount, the best inflation beater is to buy additional ounce stamps, which operate like Forever stamps, before the increase. Two of them plus 17 cents will total the 73 cent first ounce rate after the increase.

Where I live in Indiana, the McD app nearly always features "buy one breakfast sandwich, get another for $1" -- it used to be free for the second one -- so I often get two for $5.39 tax included. I've noticed that in other (more expensive) cities, this offer is not present; in fact, the deals are not so generous at all. One offer that's nearly always present is 20% off any order over $5, free any-size fries with purchase of $2, 99-cent large coffee or $1 any size soft drink. You can only use one per order, and each one per day, but the 20% deal is great for bigger orders.

Two Wendy's muffin sandwiches are $6.42 with their current deal, and my Wendy's is right across the street from McD's, so I may find a way to mix and match with a 100-foot stroll.

I just came across this article about McD's pricing. It's an interesting read, in that they're apparently feeling some consumer push-back from their recent price increases. But this paragraph really stuck out for me, in the context of the broader debate over "government" vs. "actual" inflation numbers:

McDonald’s said the average price of all menu items has risen 40% over the last five years, to account for a 40% average increase in the cost of labor, paper and food. That is higher than overall consumer prices, which have increased 21% since December 2019, according to government figures.
This coincides closely with my experience, and what I've been saying here for some time. The government is reporting 21% inflation, while we're actually paying more like 40% more. Yes, this is just one example. But the claim is that all their expenses - labor, paper and food - went up 40%. Not 21%. So we're not just talking about the price of a burger here.

Well, eggs took a sudden drop since my last trip to the store. $1.54/dz large. Everything else seems to be holding its price or going up.

This morning, I had breakfast with a friend at the Hyatt Regency in Conroe, Texas (he invited me and paid). I had an omelet with 4 tiny potatoes, toast and some "greens" (garnish of sorts), and coffee. My friend had exactly the same, The bill was $52.50 without the tip! And the omelets were not that big or good. Oh, the toast was burnt and very hard.

Well, that place is scratched off our Saturday morning breakfast list!

I don't have data on my phone, so that is how I noticed the McD app issue, meaning you pay higher prices without the app.
However they do provide free wifi , so I just connect to their free wifi and do my app order.

If anyone was concerned about privacy, one could have a second older android phone without data, and do the same for all the restaurants as most (all ?) provide free wifi.

You don't need to app unless you want to take advantage of some deal, like I have recently with $2 breakfast sandwiches, but that deal is about to end. I'm new to the app, so maybe the future deals won't be as good.

I got a 75 senior coffee this morning. The guy was bringing it to me said it wasn't very warm and that he could make some more. I said I would wait, so I actually got some hot coffee for once.
Yes, I understand you don't actually need a phone to eat at McD's - but you do have to have a phone to take advantage of some of their "deals." Clearly, they are mining data that way which is their right. My right is not to play their game - and I don't.

Regarding coffee - McD's has a history of issues with coffee being too hot. See:

I don't have data on my phone, so that is how I noticed the McD app issue, meaning you pay higher prices without the app.
However they do provide free wifi , so I just connect to their free wifi and do my app order.

If anyone was concerned about privacy, one could have a second older android phone without data, and do the same for all the restaurants as most (all ?) provide free wifi.
That's just great! NOW, I need an EXTRA phone just to eat fast food. Who would have ever thought it? :cool:

The local NHL hockey team has deals when things happen like wins or power play goals.

Chick-fil-A: free sandwich if you use their app
BoJangles: free biscuit, no app required

On the last power play of the season, I decide to go to BoJangles. I got my biscuit and ordered a coffee. The pimple face teenager yells over to the drink maker: "One senior coffee."

Dang. I'm old. I asked for coffee and got a senior coffee automatically! Total came to about $1. What inflation? ;)

I just came across this article about McD's pricing. It's an interesting read, in that they're apparently feeling some consumer push-back from their recent price increases. But this paragraph really stuck out for me, in the context of the broader debate over "government" vs. "actual" inflation numbers:
It's nice to know that McD's is finally realizing that some of us are resisting their significant price increases. I started resisting a couple of years ago. I don't think I've been to McD's in that time and don't plan to in the future - but YMMV.

Regarding coffee - McD's has a history of issues with coffee being too hot. See:
I was actually thinking about that exact lawsuit when I posted my original comment about the coffee not being hot. But even 5 to 10 years ago when I was getting coffee more regularly at McDonald's, it was at least hot, not just a little warm. Anyway, at least they came through for me that last visit.

Unrelated to McD, yesterday, I splurged on some rib-eye steak while getting groceries. $12/lb for nearly a pound steak. I think that's more than double what I last paid for it some years back.

Last edited:
It's nice to know that McD's is finally realizing that some of us are resisting their significant price increases. I started resisting a couple of years ago. I don't think I've been to McD's in that time and don't plan to in the future - but YMMV.
Yeah, I heard the hand waving talk from the CEO and I don't buy it.

My weakness is Bojangles. About once a quarter. They have had price rises, but nothing like McDs. It is a regional chain, privately owned, and I think that has a lot to do with how they are handling the situation versus McDonalds.

I was actually thinking about that exact lawsuit when I posted my original comment about the coffee not being hot. But even 5 to 10 years ago when I was getting coffee more regularly at McDonald's, it was at least hot, not just a little warm. Anyway, at least they came through for me that last visit.

Unrelated to McD, yesterday, I splurged on some rib-eye steak while getting groceries. $12/lb for nearly a pound steak. I think that's more than double what I last paid for it some years back.
Yeah, beef has outpaced "normal" inflation. We've switched to chicken and pork (and veggies.)

I value your contributions to this site, so let me recommend an oldie but goodie book to you, Who Moved My Cheese?. It's a small book, entertaining, and a short read.

Fast food joint apps are not a hill to die on. ;)

I value your contributions to this site, so let me recommend an oldie but goodie book to you, Who Moved My Cheese?. It's a small book, entertaining, and a short read.

Fast food joint apps are not a hill to die on. ;)
I remember that book. And the cheesy (no pun intended) video our management showed all employees, trying to get us to accept "changes" like layoffs and benefit cuts.

I actually sat down and wrote my own "who moved my cheese" story. Mine was about a family-owned cheese producer getting bought out by some faceless corporation. The Cliff Notes version: The long-term employees showed up in the morning to find all the high-quality cheese they'd been making moved out, replaced by a machine which could make Cheeze-Whiz.

Yeah. I like to call BS on corporate double-speak.

LOL. My employer in early 2001 distributed that book to the departments to read. We also had a watch a video about a Pike Place fish market at that same time. It never came up again over the next couple decades.

Back
Top Bottom