Five Years Retired: Lessons Learned

While still employed, I asked an older co-worker friend of mine when she was retiring. She was in her late 60s and was able to collect her full retirement age SS (65) and continue to work. She told me "70". She did not count on being diagnosed with a brain tumor and dying at 69.

Another co-worker wanted to retire at 55 but her husband told her she couldn't because he wanted to retire first. So she, the breadwinner to begin with, continued working while he left his job and collected SS. Then two years ago they bought a house so now she had to work to pay the mortgage. She didn't count on developing stomach cancer and dying at 63.

Because these ladies died while in active employment, their husbands each received three times their salaries in life insurance and receive 50% of their company pension benefits for the rest of their lives....benefits these women earned and will never get the chance to enjoy. Let's not also forget the SS they will never see.

After seeing too many of these anecdotes play out in real life, I knew what I had to do. After consulting with my financial advisor, I got out of the rat race two years ago at age 57 and never looked back. I work part-time remotely to supplement my monthly pension. My employer subsidizes my medical, dental and vision insurance up to age 65 and I am responsible to pay the amount I would have paid if I were still employed, which is deducted from my pension each month. After age 65, I will receive a subsidy for my Medicare Part B from my company. While working, I upped my 401K 1% every time I got a raise or 2%-3% for promotions. At one point I was contributing 35% of my pay into the 401K + the 6% company match, so I was able to save quite a bit. My biggest quandary now is when to take SS but that's a subject for another thread.

Early retirement was the best gift I could have ever given myself. Life is good!

Great post and comments!

After 12 years FIRE’d and only now able to claim Medicare have but a few comments

Financial planning and saving really works! But 1 try to plan for living in a lower cost of living in retirement. That has been huge for me

2 try to have an income replacement plan. I did real estate with rental income. Not sure why but psychologically it is easier to spend that money than to draw down savings or sell investments. Even though withdrawing is planned for

Finally know that all your “life planning” on how you might want to live can and likely will change. We bought a “vacation” home in retirement. I use quotes because isn’t it all vacation now? the plan is was 6 months at our primary and 4 months at the vacation house and two months traveling. We are lucky if we make 2 months at our vacation house. Traveling is no longer the a month living in Europe but a few 1-2 week trips are more than a long enough break with the occasional 2-3 day getaway. Life at home is just too comfortable. And we have routines like Pilates or the gym that we don’t like to break. Have become more home bodies purely out of choice not necessity. If anything I would have bet we would travel more not less if we were healthy and our finances allowed

So keep it flexible folks!

One thing I am confident about virtually all retirements - the facts on the ground won't end up matching the planning assumptions. That said, all that time you spend planning is by no means wasted. In fact, it is imperative that you plan. If you have really thought through the nuts and bolts of making your own model, you will know how each part of your retirement situation affects the other parts and you will be much better able to deal with the actual facts once you do retire.

What reasons has she given to you why you are not ready? Does she trust your advisor and if not, why are you using them?
How many more years does she feel you should work? Conceptually, but not in reality, how would she feel if you took care of your grandson and she would go back to work?
Thanks Dtail for your comment. Those are all good questions, some which we’ve discussed. She admits she’s just anxious about the future of drawdown rather than accumulation, which I understand. We do trust our advisor (who has been very patient with us). I told her I’m willing to ease into retirement by going part-time. But yes, she could also work part ( or full) time if she wants to.

Thanks Dtail for your comment. Those are all good questions, some which we’ve discussed. She admits she’s just anxious about the future of drawdown rather than accumulation, which I understand. We do trust our advisor (who has been very patient with us). I told her I’m willing to ease into retirement by going part-time. But yes, she could also work part ( or full) time if she wants to.
Why not have the advisor run some financial scenarios which include drawdowns at reasonable levels in order to show that just because one draws down from a portfolio, the results should still show a theoretical growth into the future.
In tandem with the above process, you can run some numbers using this site's Firecalc calculator and will most likely produce similar type results in order to calm the fears of running out of money.

Back
Top Bottom