How do you listen to music?

Youtube Music

I only listen to music in the car. We subscribed to Youtube premium a few years ago. This way we get ad free Youtube and Youtube Music. We have been very pleased with this setup.

We use to listen to Amazon Prime Music that came with our annual membership. Since Amazon removed the ability to select a particular song, we no longer use Amazon Music.

When I mention the streaming capabilities of my stereo receiver I mean the built-in apps for Amazon Prime Music, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, etc. You can access these music services via the receiver's remote, but a better way is to use your phone to run the app for your receiver. I also have a Roku Ultra and it can get Spotify and Pandora, but not Tidal. In any event, I would not use Roku for streaming music because then I would need to turn on my TV. With the Yamaha app (i.e. MusicCast) on the phone controlling the receiver I don't need to use the TV.

As to the internet radio function, it's a button on the Yamaha remote and it gives you access to 100's, probably 1,000's of internet radio stations, US based and foreign, via wifi. I did a search on genre and country of origin and got some interesting results. The problem is there are so many choices I couldn't find a winner. Some had commercials and some did not. It's a real crapshoot. But there is content up the wazoo.
So, you bluetooth the app from your phone to the receiver using some Yamaha app to connect. I guess I will ask youtube how I stream music from my cellphone to my Onkyo receiver. I have a few Onkyo apps on my phone but they don't seem to be helpful. My universal remote controls the volume so why would I need an app? And other such things.

This is why I post things here: to get better ideas. I imagine that my Onkyo has internet radio, but I have never explored it. Thanks. My receiver only has a small screen. How do you see what stations are available? My guess is through the Yamaha app.

So, you bluetooth the app from your phone to the receiver using some Yamaha app to connect. I guess I will ask youtube how I stream music from my cellphone to my Onkyo receiver. I have a few Onkyo apps on my phone but they don't seem to be helpful. My universal remote controls the volume so why would I need an app? And other such things.

Yes, Bluetooth from phone to receiver. The reason I use the Yamaha app on my phone is to pick and choose the songs I want to listen to, as well as control the volume. I think I can also search for other songs while there is one playing.

This is why I post things here: to get better ideas. I imagine that my Onkyo has internet radio, but I have never explored it. Thanks. My receiver only has a small screen. How do you see what stations are available? My guess is through the Yamaha app.
Yes, you can see the stations through the Yamaha app or through the Yamaha remote with the TV turned on.

One other note--if I'm going to sit for a while I set my receiver to 2.1 channels to listen to music. I don't think most music was meant to be heard with a center channel and surround channels (though some tracks sound amazing in this format.)

I listen to music for several hours every day, and often for an additional hour or two in the middle of the night. I play it on either Youtube or Windows Media Player, on my Dell Windows 11 laptop computer.

Frank is more discerning and has a home theater system that he uses to listen to music. It sounds great but I am a cheapskate so I am not going to spend money on a better sound system.

Last edited:
Sirius XM or Spotify 98% of the time, in home, cars and boat. Occasionally the local rock radio station when in the shop. I tried Qobuz for a while as my audiophile friend recommended it for high quality sound. On my Sonos system I couldn't tell the difference.

Total luddite here. Most of my listening is to LP's (vinyls I believe is the current term) of which I have a few thousand. Oh, of course, I have multiple computers, roku etc with spotify, pandora, Prime music etc. But I found that those music sources are "sonic wallpaper" and my mind tends to ignore that noise as just background. On the other hand I find when listening to LP's that even if I try to read the music keeps drawing me back. I do have a relatively high end system so maybe that makes a difference.

Virtually all music listening is in the cars on Sirius/XM or from my iPhone via bluetooth. We don't have any music streaming services. Every once in a while we'll have what my wife calls 'a mini concert' by playing music videos on YouTube. Those are mostly spur of the moment events.

Our music choices on S/XM? 70's on 7, 80's on 8, 60's gold on 73, Y2Kountry on 57, Prime Country on 58, Willie's Roadhouse on 61 and Outlaw Country on 62. (y) :clap:

I got rid of the SiriusXM subscription for my convertible when I stopped driving that car so frequently in the Winter. After that, they started offering me $4/month. I get emails, stuff from the USPS, but I'm sorry, not going to start paying for it again.

After all, it still works, even after I cancelled, and I haven't paid them for several months!

On road trips, I just play through my favorite list on Youtube. I also have a small collection of CDs but I can find the same on Youtube and also can see the musicians playing. A couple of days ago, I was searching for I.G.Y. by Donald Fagen, which led me also to this amateur (Indonesian?) jazz band, Fab Jazz, doing several songs by Steely Dan/ Donald Fagen among others. They are really good.

Luvtoride - I may acquire a used Tesla, in a few months. I assume the features you describe are in all models. Right?

And you have a high end single speaker system. In our living room, where we watch TV, I have a receiver and a bunch of speakers. Mostly purchased with guidance from the folks at Crutchfield. My purpose was to enhance TV listening. Could you tell me more about your thought process in buying the system you are happy with?
Hi Z3, yes, all Tesla vehicles have the same music service "built in" to the car's screen/ interface. However, as I mentioned, you must subscribe to the annual "Connectivity" package to keep the service past the initial 30 day free trial period (with new cars). I'm not sure how it would work when buying a resale car if the service goes with it or terminates upon change in ownership. Its still well worth the $99 fee as that also includes the real-time traffic and a few other services that SHOULD BE included but you pay for with that fee.

As for my Devialet Phantom speaker, I purchased it during COVID, when I was working from home. I had a separate den with no TV which I had converted to use (and continue to use today) as my home office. I felt it was worthwhile to treat myself to a good quality sound system in this smaller space, where I didn't want to start with a receiver and multiple speakers. Having this great bluetooth speaker to play music from any streaming source and subscribing to TIDAL for the highest quality (at least at that time) streaming music worked fine for me.
For my TV viewing in my family room, I have a Sonos Beam Sound bar hidden in the wall unit/ stand below the TV which serves me well enough. The days of wanting/using multi-speaker surround sound systems for Home Theater quality sound from the TV are long gone!

Virtually all music listening is in the cars on Sirius/XM or from my iPhone via bluetooth. We don't have any music streaming services. Every once in a while we'll have what my wife calls 'a mini concert' by playing music videos on YouTube. Those are mostly spur of the moment events.

Our music choices on S/XM? 70's on 7, 80's on 8, 60's gold on 73, Y2Kountry on 57, Prime Country on 58, Willie's Roadhouse on 61 and Outlaw Country on 62. (y) :clap:
Ok, I understand Sirius directly from your car head unit, but what is coming through your iPhone? I think it is the spontaneous Youtube videos. Yes?

iTunes. Used to have Sirius in the truck but canceled it when the pandemic hit and we weren’t driving much. It was like pulling teeth to get them to actually cancel - the first time I told them cancel but they put me on a temporary suspension. The second try I had to elevate the call to a “supervisor” before it was actually canceled. I decided not to bother them with my business again.

Hi Z3, yes, all Tesla vehicles have the same music service "built in" to the car's screen/ interface. However, as I mentioned, you must subscribe to the annual "Connectivity" package to keep the service past the initial 30 day free trial period (with new cars). I'm not sure how it would work when buying a resale car if the service goes with it or terminates upon change in ownership. Its still well worth the $99 fee as that also includes the real-time traffic and a few other services that SHOULD BE included but you pay for with that fee.

As for my Devialet Phantom speaker, I purchased it during COVID, when I was working from home. I had a separate den with no TV which I had converted to use (and continue to use today) as my home office. I felt it was worthwhile to treat myself to a good quality sound system in this smaller space, where I didn't want to start with a receiver and multiple speakers. Having this great bluetooth speaker to play music from any streaming source and subscribing to TIDAL for the highest quality (at least at that time) streaming music worked fine for me.
For my TV viewing in my family room, I have a Sonos Beam Sound bar hidden in the wall unit/ stand below the TV which serves me well enough. The days of wanting/using multi-speaker surround sound systems for Home Theater quality sound from the TV are long gone!
Thanks for the info. I have heard the "Connectivity" package is a must have.

I understand your logic on the single speaker and agree. I have not gotten into the single speaker systems such as your Devialet or Bose. When I want quality (loud) music, it is mainly when I am in the living room and my system there can handle it. As a test, I just listened to a little of Toccata and Fugue in D minor. I have to go now, as I notice I have some drywall cracks to repair in my living room. Don't remember them being there.

We have a family Spotify plan (up to 6 users, we only use 4 of them). Played from my phone to Bluetooth speakers or my pixel buds.

I listen to a combination of podcasts and music. Just created a new playlist after watching the Amy Winehouse movie that mixes her songs with the crooners that inspired her (Dinah Washington, Pearl Baily, Ella, etc). It makes even weeding in the garden (a chore I'm not fond of) pleasant.

We still have a CD player, but it only gets used at Christmas for seasonal music.

I have gone from a hardcore audiophile (rack of equipment, floor to ceiling including three amps, pre-amp, CD, cassette x 2, minidisc, turntable, digital soundfield processor, graphic equalizer, reel to reel, and tuner ) in the 80s and 90s to now listening to Sirius on a Bluetooth speaker in the kitchen and in the car 90% of the time.

Last edited:
I moonlighted as a radio DJ and also did parties from the late 70s through the late 80s, and still have a ton of vinyl and CDs from that era (and previous, when "oldies" meant 60s music) that I have not ripped to software yet. I mainly listen to the ripped stuff via my phone or USB in the car. Around the house, the songs are also on a NAs so I can play from any PC or tablet or audio system on any of the house levels as needed

I occasionally listen to free Spotify to find newer and older songs to add to my collection. I just ended a free trial from SiriusXM that helped me identify additional music.

I play my own because I have a relatively wide taste range and enjoy random "eclectic" mixes - e.g. Allman Brothers -> Four Tops -> Kraftwerk -> Braxton Brothers -> Beck -> Kirk Franklin -> Eddie Rabbitt -> Slave -> Metallica ->John Coltrane -> Gary Numan -> Gorillaz, with songs from my all time groups (Earth Wind & Fire, Chicago, Kool & The Gang, Yes, Parliament-Funkadelic collective, War) also in the mix :) .

Years ago I ripped my 800+ CD collection to FLAC and I have that on a couple of USB sticks. But I rarely listen to them any more.

I have a pretty decent home stereo, but I rarely listen to music on it any more, and it's mainly used as part of my home theater while watching movies.

In the house, most of my Music listening is through Alexa where I stream Spotify, or a couple of local radio stations via Tune-In. I have Alexa speakers throughout the house so I can do something like "Alexa, resume Spotify on the Downstairs group" and have music playing everyone on the ground floor.

In the car, my Tesla has a lot of built in streaming options, so there I mostly listen to Spotiy, or radio stations. And I have a USB stick of my CD collection always plugged in in the car - I sometimes listen to that if Spotify is getting too retentive in the playlists it generates for me.

I do not keep up with technology. I never learned how to use an MP3 or any later music tech. I used to use CDs now I just use YouTube on the rare occasion I listen to music. No clue how to put music on my phone even if I wanted to. In the car I still just use the local radio station.

Usually just FM or AM radio in the car. Sometimes on long trip will connect Pandora using bluetooth, ior MP3 on a thumb drive. My old cars don't have bluetooth or USB, one has no radio at all. FM radio when working out in the garage. I tried Pandora there, but the FM radio is easier and essentially similar for just having background music, with some ads. I added a simple radio/player set up in my golf cart in FL, it plays MP3 through a thumb drive. No paid services like Sirius or other paid providers.

Love Pandora ❤️ in the car and in the SONOS house system. Also will listen to iphone music in the car via Bluetooth or USB, occasionally local NPR ststion in car. On my desktop I have a lot of music which I will listen while computing or sometimes on SONOS house system.

I have Apple One which includes Apple Music. I found it is very convenience, I could listen to it (lossless) at home via an old iPad -> Apple USB camera adaprter -> amplifier's USB input which utilizes the amplifier DAC (it is not quite bit perfect yet, but good is enough). Listen to it in the car via bluetooth or carplay.

Years ago, I had a sizable CD collection. I ripped those all to digital years ago. I also "inherited" a large collection from a former co-worker. Collectively, that totaled around 8000 songs. I uploaded that to Apple's iTunes many years ago and that all carried over into my current Apple Music Library. Up until about 3 years ago, I still kept local copies of all those songs, but I finally decided since Apple had "matched" them up to cloud versions of the songs, I no longer desired to maintain the files myself. I can always redownload them if I really want them.

So... now I'm all cloud-based listening. Either to my own library collection or Apple's streaming music offerings. I play music randomly from this set of music in my house almost all day long when home. I have Apple HomePods in 4 rooms in the house that sync up to play the music. I also play Apple Music in my car via CarPlay when I drive. All of this seems worth the $119 (or whatever) I pay Apple per year for the music content and listening ability. As new music comes out, I add it to my Library.

I gave up my previous Sirius/XM subscription since it was no longer needed.

Back
Top Bottom