I am just terrified of what is to come.....

James Scarlet

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi, I am new here. I retired first 7.7.2022 and thought I'm free but when my rent went up, car insurance, etc I had to take a part time job. I'm on social security but that is not enough. I have to quit my part time job I have now 7.6.2024 because of health reasons. I am so scared because next year I have to take, I think, Medicare out which is around $180 a month now, who knows then. I will be homeless if I have to pay this. I do not know what to do. I am a army veteran who gets army VA insurance, but I do not know if I still have to take out Medicare, etc. I am so confused. I do want to go into a assisted living here in IL next year or so, but I do not know if I need Medicare, etc. to do so. I have no savings, no car, etc. I am single, no children, never married. Thank you.

Many questions and thoughts come to my mind, so my response is a bit disjointed. Sorry about that.

2. Have you applied for Medical Assistance (Medicaid)? It sounds like you are eligible, if you are disabled. When you become eligible for Medicare, Medicaid will pay the part B premium. Many people are on both Medicare and Medicaid.
3. The VA will cover everything at VA facilities; Medicare/Medicaid covers care at non VA facilities.
4. Assisted living in not paid for by Medicaid, though nursing home care is. Medicare pays for the first 90-100 days, but nothing after. Medicare never pays for assisted living.
5. Your post is confusing. You mentioned that car insurance went up but later said that you have no car. Which is it?
6. How could you afford to retire at age 61 with no savings?
7. Have you looked into senior housing and other services? Contact your county's branch of the Illinois State Department on Aging.

Index - Provider Profile Search

8. Here is another governmental resource for you:

Eldercare Locator

How else can we help you?

Many questions and thoughts come to my mind, so my response is a bit disjointed. Sorry about that.

2. Have you applied for Medical Assistance (Medicaid)? It sounds like you are eligible, if you are disabled. When you become eligible for Medicare, Medicaid will pay the part B premium. Many people are on both Medicare and Medicaid.
3. The VA will cover everything at VA facilities; Medicare/Medicaid covers care at non VA facilities.
4. Assisted living in not paid for by Medicaid, though nursing home care is. Medicare pays for the first 90-100 days, but nothing after. Medicare never pays for assisted living.
5. Your post is confusing. You mentioned that car insurance went up but later said that you have no car. Which is it?
6. How could you afford to retire at age 61 with no savings?
7. Have you looked into senior housing and other services? Contact your county's branch of the Illinois State Department on Aging.

Index - Provider Profile Search

8. Here is another governmental resource for you:

Eldercare Locator

How else can we help you?
Hi EastWest Gal and thank you for your reply. I was on Medicaid, which was a COVID thing, but that was temporary then I was dropped from it after the COVID scare. You have to be at the very bottom of the poor barrel are underneath it to qualify for Medicaid now. I don't believe I said I do not have a car, I do have a car now, but it will be reoped after I leave my part time job next week. I can no longer afford it. I will try to keep insurance on it while it sits in the parking lot at home. I sat with an old friend while she was signed up for Medicaid in an Assisted Living here in Illinois. The accepted her social security, Medicare and she had nothing else. I retired at 62. All was fine, and I did not say I had no savings, but when the bottom falls out unexpectedly, you do the best you can with what you got. I am on several Section 8 senior housing in my area for over two years and was told that the wait is around 5 years dead or alive. Trust me, I am always searching for help on all websites and so for it is very, very thin. EastWest Gal, is there a retired Veterans forum on this website? That would be even more informative for me. Thanks for your advice and listening.

Last edited:
This and the overall tone of this first post from a new member might make some of us think we are being trolled.
REWahoo, I don't understand what you mean by being trolled. I found this website today and I am asking for help. If you don't want me here, that is fine with me. I think I made a mistake. Sorry if I offended you.

REWahoo, I don't understand what you mean by being trolled. I found this website today and I am asking for help. If you don't want me here, that is fine with me. I think I made a mistake. Sorry if I offended you.
What kind of help are you looking for? What specifically do you need?

What kind of help are you looking for?
Hi MichaelB, I need information about Retired Veterans with VA medical insurance and how it is combined, if it can be combined with Medicare and if I qualify for Medicaid. Talk about confusing. Also, I would like to know if I even have to have Medicare at all with Veterans Medical insurance. I know if I do not take it out at 65 there is a lifetime penalty if I ever need it. I will turn 65 next September, so maybe I can figure it out by then. And yes, I have contacted the VA in my area, talked to veteran friends but always the information is almost nothing.

Call your local department of aging for information on what services/benefits you might qualify for. Usually the county administers this program. They have social workers who can help. I would get on a list for low income senior housing since sometimes it’s a long wait. You may qualify for Snap to help with groceries.

Call your local department of aging for information on what services/benefits you might qualify for. Usually the county administers this program. They have social workers who can help. I would get on a list for low income senior housing since sometimes it’s a long wait. You may qualify for Snap to help with groceries.
Thank you Teacher Terry, I will look into a social worker to help, thanks for that. I am on several section 8 lists, and when I went back to a part time job while on social security, snap went away, but when I quit this part time job soon, I will reapply for SNAP, thanks for caring.

Veterans are eligible for the VA Aide and Attendence benefit, which helps pay for home care or assisted living. It is means tested but it sounds like you may qualify.

You mention Illinois. Is that where you live? Medicaid rules are state dependent, so information about your location would help others to assist your search for information.

Veterans are eligible for the VA Aide and Attendence benefit, which helps pay for home care or assisted living. It is means tested but it sounds like you may qualify.

You mention Illinois. Is that where you live? Medicaid rules are state dependent, so information about your location would help others to assist your search for information.
MichaelB, even though I was honorable discharged from the Army, my short length of time in the Army does not qualify me for that benefit. By the grace of God when I went into the service in 1979 that time frame qualified me, at that time, for lifetime Medical Benefits only which is a Godsend in itself. Yes, I live and rent in IL's.

You need to make an appointment with your local VA services, and meet with someone who can take you through the details and your coverage.
You should also find local elder social services, and seek out a different part time job that you can perform regardless of your medical limitations.
No one here can tell you exactly what to expect, but there are professionals you can find that do.

You need to make an appointment with your local VA services, and meet with someone who can take you through the details and your coverage.
You should also find local elder social services, and seek out a different part time job that you can perform regardless of your medical limitations.
No one here can tell you exactly what to expect, but there are professionals you can find that do.
I know and thank you Aerides, is just I am just so scared, I live alone, never married, no children, and sometimes it is just too much. I am looking into all that I can. Also, with getting another part time job, it also means that you lose any SNAP or other goverment help at the same time. It is almost impossible to climb that hill.

Check to see if your state has a state Department of Veterans Affairs who may be able to help. They may be able to direct you to further resources.

Edit to add: a quick Google search shows that Illinois has such a department.

Last edited:
It is sometimes possible if you have taken early social security and are not yet at full retirement age and then become disabled to apply for ssdi which would be a higher benefit as it is what you would get at FRA. The people I know who have done this successfully had a new and clearly qualifying diagnosis but since you are disabled perhaps this would be worth exploring?

I know and thank you Aerides, is just I am just so scared, I live alone, never married, no children, and sometimes it is just too much. I am looking into all that I can. Also, with getting another part time job, it also means that you lose any SNAP or other goverment help at the same time. It is almost impossible to climb that hill.
I was a social worker so I know what you mean about finding yourself in a catch 22. Many programs have strict rules and if you are a dollar over the income limit they cut you off. Sometimes you are better off taking snap and other programs versus working part time. It’s definitely frustrating.

The VA should have its own social worker that can determine if you qualify for any assistance. You might qualify for free counseling to help you get through the stress.

Hi MichaelB, I need information about Retired Veterans with VA medical insurance and how it is combined, if it can be combined with Medicare and if I qualify for Medicaid. Talk about confusing. Also, I would like to know if I even have to have Medicare at all with Veterans Medical insurance. I know if I do not take it out at 65 there is a lifetime penalty if I ever need it. I will turn 65 next September, so maybe I can figure it out by then. And yes, I have contacted the VA in my area, talked to veteran friends but always the information is almost nothing.
I don't think your comment about getting no info is accurate..do you know how to use Google? You get a letter once a year from VA what group of care are you classified under? Quit asking random veterans and do some actual research.

My advice would be to continue calling government offices (such as the Office on Aging) to ask for help. Be very very clear about what you lack and what you need. Write it down beforehand, so you have it right in front of you. Use small words and short sentences. Don't throw too many questions at them all at once.

Then, I think you should talk to more than one social worker, until you find one who is patient and will help you sift through your fears and confusion, to get real answers to your problems.

This will all take time. Be patient, and don't give up.

They have a large section on healthcare, along with contact information. They will know more than any of us on this forum.

Is this the "VA in your area" that you contacted? If so, did they provide you with any information?

I have...no car, etc.

I don't believe I said I do not have a car,
Forums like this can be very helpful, but inadvertent miscommunication happens much more frequently than when talking face to face.

When the inadvertent miscommunication does happen, it can be clarified and then things can move on from there. No big deal - it happens....

OP......

Stop by a VFW or American Legion post and ask if there is someone you could talk to for information on how to get started in your search for resources. Or if you're in the Chicago area, call Chicago Veterans at 312 210 0467. It sounds like a one-on-one counselor with the appropriate expertise to guide you through all the BS and confusion is what you need.

I retired at 62. All was fine, and I did not say I had no savings, but when the bottom falls out unexpectedly, you do the best you can with what you got. I am on several Section 8 senior housing in my area for over two years and was told that the wait is around 5 years dead or alive.
Italics mine. Read the last sentence of your first post. "I have no savings, no car, etc. I am single, no children, never married. " In your first post you said you had no savings, now you say "I did not say I had no savings,"

Your posts are someone inconsistent. For that reason, I considered the possibility that you were trolling because of your inconsistencies. I did not say you were trolling. Your response to other posts clearly shows you are not trolling. Which is why I said I wanted see how it played out. I apologize for what I wrote yesterday.

Based on Google, if you receive your healthcare through the VA, you can continue to do so. Medicare applies when you receive care at a non-VA facility. You can apply for part A and part B. Part A is free, but Part B is the ~$180/month you were referring to. If you are eligible for Medicaid, Part B will be paid through Medicaid, and you will be enrolled in Medicaid/Medicare managed care, which is essentially Medicare Advantage. which should cover all your premiums.

Several here have suggested contacting your county Office on Aging. They can send a social worker to your home to go over the services available to you, including SNAP, free transportation, Medicaid, housing support. You obviously know about some of these already. Several here have given you phone numbers and have done Google searches which have been helpful

I'm sorry you're going through this. I wish you well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom