Our Retiree Holiday Dilemma

I remember reading your posts and you were one of the people who sold me on OAT! We did their Sicily trip over Thanksgiving last year and Peru last month. We're thrilled with their tours - so, a much belated thank you for your positive words about OAT - my FIL used to travel with them as well. No complaints, just fun adventures to look forward to!
Is there something different about what they offer or the way they do tours that everyone particularly likes vs what other tour companies offer?

We have had Christmas with extended family only 3 times in the past 25 years. We moved across country in 1999 and the last parent passed away in 2009. Last year we went to Hawaii and it didn't feel strange at all. It was wonderful. I"m hoping to do Christmas markets in 2025. We have one son who is 32 and not dating, and he worked Christmas and hung out with online friends. He is not accustomed to family gatherings anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. Most Christmas Days I cook a nice dinner and dessert, we eat early, then play cards afterward.

Is there something different about what they offer or the way they do tours that everyone particularly likes vs what other tour companies offer?
Well, I don't have many tour companies to compare them with. We used to travel to Europe on our own, then joined Rick Steves tours on a few tours because his tours got high praise and he covered areas we wouldn't easily be able to travel to on our own. DH & I were very happy with his tours and I recommend them ... but he doesn't do many tours, if any, outside of Europe. As we are exploring other parts of the world these days, we decided to try OAT. I believe OAT doesn't charge single supplements, which is rare in the travel world. I'd eagerly travel with both companies. They both fit our budget and I don't think they are excessively priced.

Portugual! The only downside was one church was closed Christmas Eve. We saw it from the outside and had a lovely coffee break with some locals. We popped into a church on Christmas and enjoyed a lovely service. And spent time at the beach. The resort we stayed at was fully functionable.

I think you should go on vacation this year.

I don't have suggestions as to where but for me at least it would be easier to just change the environment and not think too much about the holiday.

I think everyone else had good suggestions but I don't really have the bandwidth for a new tradition right away when something has changed and a vacation seems the path of least resistance.

I just spent about an hour on the OAT website. We've not be into group tour/travel before but I have to admit, it looks like fun.

Smaller groups and, as mentioned earlier, generally no Single Supplement although I did pay extra for the upcoming trip because it's a small-ship cruise. It was about $1,000 but if you drill down into the fine print for most tour companies the cost for a single can be 150-175% of "per-person, double-occupancy". Other advantages:

1. The guides are "ask-me-anything" people- the good, the bad, the ugly. I don't want sugar-coating.
2. There are encounters with locals. I've had dinners with families all over the world. I know they're carefully chosen so it's a bit artificial (no fanatic political views, decent English, home up to standards) but I've learned so much. We've met with a sex worker in Peru, a Muslim man whose daughter is dating a Hindu in India (met the daughter and BF, too). talked with a woman who grows coca leaves in the Amazon (the variety she grows is sold in local markets for chewing- good for your teeth and bones, no psychotic effects at all).
3. Their foundation, partly funded by a % of profits, partly donations, supports local needs- a school, sanitary facilities, etc.
4. When stuff goes wrong they step up. In March, 2020 they got us put of Bolivia 2 days before Bolivia closed its borders. I'd made my own plane reservations but they got me on that flight, too.

Send me a PM if you want more. This is turning into a commercial! :)

Smaller groups and, as mentioned earlier, generally no Single Supplement although I did pay extra for the upcoming trip because it's a small-ship cruise. It was about $1,000 but if you drill down into the fine print for most tour companies the cost for a single can be 150-175% of "per-person, double-occupancy". Other advantages:

1. The guides are "ask-me-anything" people- the good, the bad, the ugly. I don't want sugar-coating.
2. There are encounters with locals. I've had dinners with families all over the world. I know they're carefully chosen so it's a bit artificial (no fanatic political views, decent English, home up to standards) but I've learned so much. We've met with a sex worker in Peru, a Muslim man whose daughter is dating a Hindu in India (met the daughter and BF, too). talked with a woman who grows coca leaves in the Amazon (the variety she grows is sold in local markets for chewing- good for your teeth and bones, no psychotic effects at all).
3. Their foundation, partly funded by a % of profits, partly donations, supports local needs- a school, sanitary facilities, etc.
4. When stuff goes wrong they step up. In March, 2020 they got us put of Bolivia 2 days before Bolivia closed its borders. I'd made my own plane reservations but they got me on that flight, too.

Send me a PM if you want more. This is turning into a commercial! :)
great info...thanks! So gratifying to hear you had good experiences.

Another thought would be to "adopt" a local family in need. Purchase gifts for them, provide food, etc.
Many churches, food banks, etc have such lists.
That is a nice thought. A call to a local food bank might be in order for us.

Lots of great ideas here. I just came here to say ... unless you really enjoy standing in very long lines and spending $100 or more for maybe 8 runs down a ski slope, the ski areas in Colorado near to I-70, Winter Park and Steamboat Springs should be avoided at all costs. Summit County parks, Vail, Aspen and the previously mentioned WP and SS all fill up with college students and other travelers between Christmas and New Years. That is why the slopes don't allow discounted passes during that time of the ski season. My favorite parks during that week are Wolf Creek (Pagosa Springs) and Purgatory (Durango). Neither fill up like the northern resorts.

Thanks threeonesix. If we went, we would probably arrive on Dec 20th and leave the morning of the 26th, as that's when it starts to get crazy.

Back
Top Bottom