Switzerland

GalaxyBoy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just returned from ten days in Switzerland on a Vacations by Rail group tour. Had a great time - first trip since Covid. Zürich, Luzern, Lausanne, Montreaux. Supposed to go to Zermatt and Mount Gorgorat, but there were severe floods in Zermatt the day before we were supposed to arrive and the town was cut off for days. So we missed the Matterhorn which was disappointing but outside anyone’s control. The Glacier Express was a bit disappointing (we did have to miss the segment near Zermatt) but the Bernina Express was breathtaking. Business Class, booked far enough in advance to be fairly reasonable, was well worth it.

This confirmed DW and I simply aren’t group tour people, but it was nice having someone else coordinate things, transfer luggage, and figure out what to do when things go wrong. OTOH, and sorry to say this, we found most of the group just loud and annoying. And although the tour was clearly billed as activity level 4 out of 4, everywhere we went we were held up by folks who simply should have signed up for an easier package (one wore a brace and used a cane). I felt for them, but read the fine print, please.

This company offers independent packages and I plan to use them again.

How many in the group? I know they have some trips billed as "small group", meaning a max of 25.

DW had a great idea-why not use the itinerary of the tour group but travel independently?
We spent 6 wonderful days in the Bernese Alps using the itinerary, but adjusting our travels to account for weather. One day, the Jungfrauhoch was socked in, but tour people were still heading there because that was the schedule.
We also did the same on a New Mexico tour, where we went to Santa Fe and Taos on our own.

This confirmed DW and I simply aren’t group tour people, but it was nice having someone else coordinate things, transfer luggage, and figure out what to do when things go wrong. OTOH, and sorry to say this, we found most of the group just loud and annoying. And although the tour was clearly billed as activity level 4 out of 4, everywhere we went we were held up by folks who simply should have signed up for an easier package (one wore a brace and used a cane). I felt for them, but read the fine print, please.

I've encountered only two genuinely unpleasant people on 6 Overseas Adventure Travel trips but yes, the less-mobile are a problem. The company provides VERY detailed descriptions of the mobility required (must be able to walk X miles unaided, altitude gains, cobblestones) plus an overall exertion rating, but some over-estimate their abilities. A few gracefully remain behind when they know the day's excursion will be too much; others have held up the group and needed to be helped up and down stairs. I hope I never become That Person.

We were in Morocco for a month this past May. At the last minute we decided on a last minute small group tour (16 of us) to the eastern part...desert area, high Atlas, etc. ten days before we were due to arrive in Casablanca. One attraction was our perceived independent transport and time challenges by our usual DIY travel.

We had never been on a tour with the exception of a safari. We are independent, spontaneous travelers. But after some discussion my spouse convinced me to go for it. We considered 2 dates. The first had people of our age 65 plus (we asked the tour provider), the second date folks were younger. We went with the fossils.

Very happy with the tour. Eight days was enough though. We were always on the go. But....we were able to go where we originally planned and see/do what we wanted.

Overall it was a good experience. It did take us a few days to recover. Not used to several of the longer days we had nor with traveling in a group (people were good).
Neither of us are certain that we would do a longer tour but never say never.

I should have checked the group size before booking. This was a tour for 40 people. We likely would have been happier with 20 or so. We did meet several folks we really liked, it’s just the handful of loudmouths that get on our nerves.

DW mentioned that we could compare several tours’ itineraries and come up with a route that meets our needs. good idea!

Yep, Switzerland is an easy county to visit/tour on your own. My wife and I also just returned a week or so ago, something like our 5th trip there. Between the great easy train system and most everyone speaking English, it's a great place to visit. Make sure you put that Zermatt trip back on your to-do list!

We did Switzerland last year after a bit of time in Italy... main reason to go was to spread some of my mom's ashes on Schilthorn... we did see the Matterhorn, did the Glacier Express and a few other things... we did go independent but had bought a Swiss Rail pass which is great... just jump on most trains and go...

I would recommend this country to anybody... it is a bit expensive but is beautiful..

Just returned from ten days in Switzerland on a Vacations by Rail group tour. Had a great time - first trip since Covid. Zürich, Luzern, Lausanne, Montreaux...

Your first sentence got my attention and I thought that might be something to consider. Then I read further.
We have taken about a dozen cruises. Initially a few were with Carnival in the Caribbean since the port was nearby. We got tired of all the drunks, kids running wild, and the obnoxious behavior. Besides going to the beach is not a draw for us since we live 2 blocks from the ocean with a beach as nice or nicer than we have visited. Then we flew to ports and tried Celebrity that were more to our liking but decided enough of the big ship cruising. When we went to the Galapagos on a 100 passenger trip and later on a Bike and Barge cruise with 22 other people those were our favorite cruises.
We may try a river cruise in Europe if we decide to take the risk of sick people in the airport terminal, airplane, on the ship, and the return air ride home. I have enough medical issues to deal with.

We're relaxing in Belfast this afternoon after finishing our 15th small group tour with Intrepid Travel in Dublin yesterday. Taylor Swift and Green Day were in town so a 2 hour train ride to Belfast got us much more reasonable hotel rates at "the most bombed hotel in the world" the Europa Belfast. We've had as few as 8 people in our premium tours to Kenya and Morocco and as many as 16 in Thailand on an original tour. Lately we've been choosing their comfort and premium tours and usually have 10 to 12 in the group. We tried a R. Steves tour in Spain last year and it just wasn't for us - 26 older, mostly U.S. travellers, many who had mobility issues. Intrepid trips are usually fairly active, fast paced, and have much more diverse groups. Ages on this trip ranged from young 30s to upper 70s and we had people from the U.S., Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand. Not big cruisers but we're going to try a Wind Star cruise with a max of 148 pax, following an 8 day Intrepid trip to Greece next May. That will be Intrepid tour #20.

I too was intrigued by the OP's first sentence - a rail tour sounds wonderful but not with 50 other people.

I agree with Brett about smaller groups. I took a group tour with Odysseys Unlimited in China. We had 16 people on the tour. At one hotel I encountered a group from Vantage Travel, and asked how many people on their tours. He said they had 45 people!

Here's what Zermatt looked like the afternoon before we were to arrive the next day. Glad we didn't get stuck there.

I may have overstated my frustration with my tour companions. There were a handful who were loud, nonstop talkers, but not all by any means. Just enough to bother this introvert.

EDIT TO ADD: I see that youtube has labeled some of that video as "altered content." Also, this website says things are mostly back to normal "with typical Swiss efficiency." ‘After the flood’ - Zermatt returns to normal life - Matterhorn Chalets

We are not group travelers either. Our ideal is traveling with a private guide/driver. We learn more about a country over dinner than we ever could from a guide trying to communicate with ten or twenty people. We also eat when and where we wish, stop for pictures as we like, and rest when we need to. Second prize is independent travel with guides meeting us in most destination towns. Third place is travel on our own, typically in EU countries where guides are very expensive. We always try to travel with an in-country arranger. A US arranger six to twelve time zones away isn't much help when there is a problem. I'll typically review a bunch of web sites and email a half-dozen companies who look promising. Half or more, if they respond at all, will pitch canned itineraries. Two or three will respond to ask what our interests are, how long we want to stay, and our taste in accommodations. From these we usually find someone we can work with and we'll start drafting an itinerary.

I should have checked the group size before booking. This was a tour for 40 people. We likely would have been happier with 20 or so. We did meet several folks we really liked, it’s just the handful of loudmouths that get on our nerves.

DW mentioned that we could compare several tours’ itineraries and come up with a route that meets our needs. good idea!

Did you enjoy the trip more people you met some people whom you liked?

How much of that trip included travel on coaches and trains versus time at venues?

We may try a river cruise in Europe if we decide to take the risk of sick people in the airport terminal, airplane, on the ship, and the return air ride home. I have enough medical issues to deal with.

Before covid, it wasn't much of an issue, going on cruises or these package tours where you spend a lot of time on coaches. But now you have to think about minimizing time spent in close quarters will a lot of strangers.

We've had as few as 8 people in our premium tours to Kenya and Morocco and as many as 16 in Thailand on an original tour. Lately we've been choosing their comfort and premium tours and usually have 10 to 12 in the group. We tried a R. Steves tour in Spain last year and it just wasn't for us - 26 older, mostly U.S. travellers, many who had mobility issues. Intrepid trips are usually fairly active, fast paced, and have much more diverse groups. Ages on this trip ranged from young 30s to upper 70s and we had people from the U.S., Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand. Not big cruisers but we're going to try a Wind Star cruise with a max of 148 pax, following an 8 day Intrepid trip to Greece next May. That will be Intrepid tour #20.

I too was intrigued by the OP's first sentence - a rail tour sounds wonderful but not with 50 other people.
I've mostly done independent travel. Not only do I not mind researching but rather enjoy it, forces you to read up and learn about the place whereas if you don't have to make arrangements, you might not do as much or any research.

I was just recently looking up Intrepid Premium and other higher-end tour packages, but mainly to see if it might be a more enjoyable experience to meet others.

But if the group was too large or too much of the tour was spent on coaches, it may involve greater health risks. I would much rather drive or limit public transportation to under 3 hours. Being on a tour coach for hours and hours, several days a week, with dozens of people, isn't ideal, even if there wasn't greater risks of infectious disease -- unless you could open windows or something but typically in summer weather they have the AC going full blast.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom