Today is 10 years retired!!! Some thoughts

rodi

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Today is the 10 year anniversary of my freedom. I'm still relatively young (62) but definitely feeling the need to do more with my freedom, sooner.

10 years ago I had sons who were 13 and 11 yo.
Today they are in college, doing well, and their independence is in sight. Looking forward to them being off the payroll (car insurance, health insurance, misc expenses that can't be paid by 529). One will graduate next June, the other in June 2026.

When I retired I had tested my financial plan with every calculator I could find, but was still super nervous. Our plan required maintaining a frugal lifestyle, especially while the kids were under roof and eating us out of house and home. But the market was very nice to us, and we no longer worry as much. I'm still frugal (my sister and kids call me cheap), but I'm more relaxed about it than I was in the beginning.

One of the first changes I made when I retired was to start walking the dog at the beach most mornings. I figured I had to walk the dog anyway, and the beach makes me happy. 10 years later I still get up early to walk the dog at the beach. It still makes me and the dog happy. Unfortunately, the dog has a time limit on him... an inoperable tumor in his stomach... But the beach is still his happy place, and it makes me happy to see him spending his last months or weeks being happy at the beach.

We bought a van from the estate of my BIL when he died. We painted it like the Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo and have taken it camping all over the south west and up and down California. It's a beater van... and has broken down on us on two trips... but it's been fun, and it allows us to camp without sleeping on the ground. We are considering selling it... we'll decide after our Mammoth/Sierras camping trip later this summer. But it's been a fun retirement low-cost RV.

Our goal was to travel a lot as soon as the kids were off at college. Covid put a dent in that, to an extent... but we've done several long trips to Europe and South America. We weren't planning on other life changing issues to impact our travel... Perhaps we should have.... We were 2 weeks into a 4.5 week trip in Asia earlier this year when we found out DH's mom had died, so we had to cut the trip short. Then our plan to spend a few months in Italy while I immerse in Italian classes and take the citizenship language test this fall/winter looks like it's on hold due to DH's health issues that require treatment here. So we're rolling with the punches and shifting our plans to next year. Delayed, but not denied. Travel will remain a priority, since we enjoy it. We have a bucket list and will work on the more active trips first while we're still mobile and nimble.

Retirement has given me the time to dive into community involvement... serving on land use committees, community associations, helping with the library book sales, etc. It feels good to give back to the community after so many years of being too busy while I worked and raised kids.

Ten years has gone by fast. No regrets about walking away from income at age 52 (DH was 62).... It's been great.

Today is the 10 year anniversary of my freedom. I'm still relatively young (62) but definitely feeling the need to do more with my freedom, sooner.

Today they are in college, doing well, and their independence is in sight. Looking forward to them being off the payroll (car insurance, health insurance, misc expenses that can't be paid by 529). One will graduate next June, the other in June 2026.

When I retired I had tested my financial plan with every calculator I could find, but was still super nervous. Our plan required maintaining a frugal lifestyle, especially while the kids were under roof and eating us out of house and home. But the market was very nice to us, and we no longer worry as much. I'm still frugal (my sister and kids call me cheap), but I'm more relaxed about it than I was in the beginning.

One of the first changes I made when I retired was to start walking the dog at the beach most mornings. I figured I had to walk the dog anyway, and the beach makes me happy. 10 years later I still get up early to walk the dog at the beach. It still makes me and the dog happy. Unfortunately, the dog has a time limit on him... an inoperable tumor in his stomach... But the beach is still his happy place, and it makes me happy to see him spending his last months or weeks being happy at the beach.

We bought a van from the estate of my BIL when he died. We painted it like the Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo and have taken it camping all over the south west and up and down California. It's a beater van... and has broken down on us on two trips... but it's been fun, and it allows us to camp without sleeping on the ground. We are considering selling it... we'll decide after our Mammoth/Sierras camping trip later this summer. But it's been a fun retirement low-cost RV.

Our goal was to travel a lot as soon as the kids were off at college. Covid put a dent in that, to an extent... but we've done several long trips to Europe and South America. We weren't planning on other life changing issues to impact our travel... Perhaps we should have.... We were 2 weeks into a 4.5 week trip in Asia earlier this year when we found out DH's mom had died, so we had to cut the trip short. Then our plan to spend a few months in Italy while I immerse in Italian classes and take the citizenship language test this fall/winter looks like it's on hold due to DH's health issues that require treatment here. So we're rolling with the punches and shifting our plans to next year. Delayed, but not denied. Travel will remain a priority, since we enjoy it. We have a bucket list and will work on the more active trips first while we're still mobile and nimble.

Retirement has given me the time to dive into community involvement... serving on land use committees, community associations, helping with the library book sales, etc. It feels good to give back to the community after so many years of being too busy while I worked and raised kids.

Ten years has gone by fast. No regrets about walking away from income at age 52 (DH was 62).... It's been great.
Thanks for the success story. We love it!

That was a nice write up of your 10th year. I wish you many more wonderful years in retirement.

I always enjoy your wisdom and posts, thank You.

Congrats. I, too, am coming up on my 10 year anniversary. Better than I ever imagined! Originally afraid of a 1966 market turndown and such, but have enjoyed the upward ride. While I am going somewhat conservative in my strategy, my portfolio income now exceeds any RMD that I have to take in 6 years. Converting what I can to the $250k limit, and enjoying life as I hoped to do. Congrats on your mutual success.

Thank you for sharing Rodi.

I’ve probably been here too long - and still working! - since I remember when you retired.

It sounds like you’ve had a great 10
years. Here’s to 10 more!

Thanks for sharing.
Wishing your dog a peaceful end at some point (as I have always hope the same for ourselves). It sounds like your dog has had a great life being with you. Hope you will get to the travelling part in the near future also.

Congratulations! First ten years is the big milestone. The rest will be smooth ride.

Great story! I hit the 10-year mark in May. As you noted, Stuff Happens. My husband died two years later (he was 15 years older and had health issues, so not a shock) but we visited Iceland and took a small-ship Alaska cruise in those two years. I'm slowed down somewhat by mitral valve prolapse but have left bits of DH's ashes in 25 countries so far. Two more trips booked.

My greatest joy has been my grandchildren. I never imagined they'd be so much fun! It's been wonderful to be able to provide a few "frills" in their lives (plane trips, hotel stays, haircuts at a kid-friendly but more expensive place) and stash money in their 529s.

Glad I threw in the towel at age 61.

Happy 10th Retirement Anniversary! Nice writeup, and it sounds like a good 10 years. I envy your ability to walk to the beach.

I think one of the keys to having a successful retirement is being flexible and able to adjust plans and goals as you go along. It sounds like you and your family are doing that very well.

Happy 10 year retirement anniversary!
Great summary of life in general, some great, some good, some not so good.
May you enjoy the next 10, and the next 10, and so on. Life is a blessing!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom