What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Every once in a while I wander out on the back porch and say "Dang, it's hot out here!" and then go back into the A/C inside. That's my plan for tomorrow and Sunday as well.

That's my exact plan here in central NC for the next few days. Feeling very happy that I decided to replace my (still-functioning) 27-year-old central AC unit in 2022.

I went to the opthamologist today for my twice yearly retina scans and eye checkup. Rest of the day I’ll spend here at home, even a little sunlight is painful.

even a little sunlight is painful.
Interesting how most people are so affected by having their eyes dilated, but I'm not one of them. I never even need sunglasses when I go out afterward, although I do squint slightly for the first five minutes or so. But then I never claimed to be normal. :uglystupid:

Resting up today, Had the whole crew here yesterday afternoon until after 10 pm, visiting, dinner, nighttime little fire in the fire pit on the back deck.
Puppy is pooped! Running after both DGS all afternoon and night. Grandma and Grandpa taking it easy today, in this 90 degree weather, AC and fans on in the house.

What a week we've had, buying a new car immediately. This post could be under Blow That Dough or an example of being frugal. So I post here, as we have had a day.

We had an 18 year old Dodge Caravan. We used it to carry timpani, vibraphone, xylophone, and DH's entire keyboard, amplifier, keyboard stand, and staging set up over the years.

Monday evening, we had weird electrical failure. None of the gauges functioned-no speedometer, no odometer, no gas guage. All at zero. Took it to the shop the next morning, and the component that had failed was irreplaceable since the company no longer produced that part.

Meanwhile, online we found a perfect replacement. Chrysler Pacifica plugin hybrid. The dealer (5 miles from our house) had a 2023 model van that we needed with top of the line features, but they had failed to sell. List price ~$61K, based on many dealers online. They discounted $10K to get rid of the vehicle, plus the $12500 rebate including the plugin hybrid tax credit. So we paid $40K for a car retailing at $60+K. 4700 miles on it as a loaner vehicle. In great shape, with just enough scuffs for us to not be excessively ginger about a new car.

Regarding the rebate-we'll be reporting it as a tax credit of $7500 Our federal income tax this year would have been far less than the $7500. So what do we do? A freebie Roth IRA conversion!

It is weird that a dealership would throw so much money at us without our asking. But given how overloaded they are with cars, I can understand. And we are the recipients of a vehicle, bought free and clear using our nearly expired HELOC. We can pay it off soon or over the next 20 years. Our choice.

FIRE is amazing. It gives us options.

Buy the OEM extended warranty...the plug-in hybrid has been the most troublesome of the Pacificas.

Might be able to get that cheaper online via a different dealer.

What part failed on your Dodge Caravan?

We have a slightly older one of the same generation.

I always enjoy reading about all of your day's freedom!!!

Pacegal we can relate to having the granddaughters here also. They just wear a person out. Lol

Thank You All for sharing your days.

Interesting how most people are so affected by having their eyes dilated, but I'm not one of them. I never even need sunglasses when I go out afterward, although I do squint slightly for the first five minutes or so.
That would be nice. Not me, though. With dilated eyes bright sunlight causes pretty severe pain and takes most of the day to recover. A few years ago, to my surprise, the day after was worse and took the entire next day to recover. I’ve asked the opthamologist but only get shrugged shoulders and “everyone is different” response.

But then I never claimed to be normal. :uglystupid:
Yeah, we’ve noticed :)

Did my usual morning somatic movements, light workout after. Went for cofee around ten. Then hanging around indoors with AC on. Fine weather for mad dogs and Englishmen.

Today I reorganized my closet, and took enough pairs shoes to Goodwill to embarrass Imelda Marcos.

Had a rumbling noise in the Toyota a/c fan motor. Took it out, oiled the shaft and hopefully it continues to work. If not, it's a 5 minutes fix. Easy peasy.

Topped off the car fluids and battery for the next week road trip.

Also fixed (loosely) DGS's "jeep" for the beach ride. Hopefully it will hold up.

I am up helping on the cabin build for a while. Friday we had an epic day/night. I was to meet them here and wandered over late in the morning, but their travels got complicated by traffic and a late start and finally a breakdown. I had to back track and rescue one of the two trucks and trailers with equipment. It was 4 AM by the time I got to bed.
Up at 930 yesterday and I spent the day on the forklift sorting out materials and down stacking so I could grab any one of the dozens of units without moving another.
We had nice skies and sunset with our dinner by the fire.
PXL_20240623_033433960~2.jpg

PXL_20240623_035834099.jpg

DS and his GF are visiting for the weekend, primarily to attend his best friend's baby shower yesterday. This morning we played hooky from church to move grill, furniture, etc. from the back patio in preparation for a complete redo of the back yard - new patio, lots of new plantings, wheelchair-friendly paths for DH, lighting, and irrigation (BTD for sure). I'm sure the neighbors will wonder why our gas grill is on the front porch, but it will let me use it during the construction which will hopefully start in the next week or so.

We'll watch the USMNT match while cooking dinner, then play some board games after. They fly out tomorrow. First opportunity we've had to spend significant time with GF, and we still like her, which is a good thing as they are moving in together this week!

I made an epic parts run to the nearest town an hour away. Small town, small selection, and I went to 4 hardware stores and struck out on some of the list. The plumbers really missed a wall line so we have to build a 2x8 rather than a 2x6 wall to contain all the plumbing and electrical. Unfortunately it is a bearing wall to add to the complication. It was noon and they were preparing to send out the cavalry when I got back.
Things got real, we started laying out and measuring the king post. It is a feature log that goes from basement to loft. We get to cut the bottom 10' and set it, key in glu-lam beams with a chain saw, and cut it exactly flush with the subfloor of the first floor.
He went over to Montana to pick it out. It is a massive 26" pine log that does not really taper in that first 10'.
PXL_20240624_220827472.jpg

Last edited:
I made an epic parts run to the nearest town an hour away. Small town, small selection, and I went to 4 hardware stores and struck out on some of the list. The plumbers really missed a wall line so we have to build a 2x8 rather than a 2x6 wall to contain all the plumbing and electrical. Unfortunately it is a bearing wall to add to the complication. It was noon and they were preparing to send out the cavalry when I got back.
Things got real, we started laying out and measuring the king post. It is a feature log that goes from basement to loft. We get to cut the bottom 10' and set it, key in glu-lam beams with a chain saw, and cut it exactly flush with the subfloor of the first floor.
He went over to Montana to pick it out. It is a massive 26" pine log that does not really taper in that first 10'.
View attachment 51408
So, what is the log for skyking??

The back hallway in my condo building smelled bad and was getting worse by the day. Then I noticed a guy’s car probably hadn’t moved in a month and he had a job. Called the police for a welfare check and he had been dead for a long time. This is the second time this has happened in the 3 years I’ve lived here.

Early afternoon visit to the dermatologist who froze off some skin patches on my forehead and next to my nose. Second time for both, he wants to check again in a couple of months and if they're still there do a biopsy. More melanoma surgery may be in my future. Oh well, better than needing it and not getting it.

It is the central king post in the log cabin.
This chunk ends at the first floor. It will get pockets cut into it for a couple of beams like this tomorrow.
Logs-and-wood-joist-and-floor-500-1.jpg

The cabin is similar to this model.

Sunset-28x44-background-3d-nice-log-kit-1.jpg

Click the link and look at the floor plan, you will see that central appearance log in the middle of the home on each level.

Sunset Valley Chalet longer and more room in a complete log package » Log Home Kits | Log Cabin Kits | Lazarus Log Homes
Gotcha!! Beautiful!!!!
I'm looking to do about the same thing but out of Cedar. I have about 4, 10" in diameter about 8' long I want to center support the main beam running the length of a small cabin.

Thanks what a beauty of a home.

Kept an eye on things with the contractor building new front steps for our place. We did not have written or drawn plans, but talked about how we wanted them to be. Almost done and it's not quite what I envisioned, but it looks good and will work. I saved the painting and the deck rails for myself.

Skyking1 has a nice build going. I don't think we had the wherewithal to build new, but we did build a new garage and fixing up things to suit us. The lighting money on fire phase is almost done for us. Until something expensive breaks. Or we decide to finish the garage interior.

We got through all that mumbo jumbo in my post above, and are ready to stand it up permanently.
Here is sits looking through the picture window, about as subtle as a 40 oz FOSTER's <Australian for Beeyah!>
on a table full of 12 Oz Miller lites. It puts the log in cabin. Other cabins have King Post envy.
PXL_20240625_191028971.jpg

Under the knife.

PXL_20240625_231805872.jpg

I initially plunge cut the sides with my BigFoot baby beam saw. It shoots through schools! < Nod to the movie Johnny Dangerously>
PXL_20240625_232446372.jpg

I had a few bad touches, but smear a little sawdust around and it's not too bad.
That gets exposed so I will learn the art of blending boo-boos.
PXL_20240626_003802823.jpg

Last edited:
Spent the afternoon working up test rounds in 45 Colt for the new replica Remington 1875 revolver I bought myself for my upcoming birthday. Never loaded 45 Colt before so there's that pesky learning curve.

The back hallway in my condo building smelled bad and was getting worse by the day. Then I noticed a guy’s car probably hadn’t moved in a month and he had a job. Called the police for a welfare check and he had been dead for a long time. This is the second time this has happened in the 3 years I’ve lived here.
That’s horrible. I guess the people he worked with figured he just quit.

That’s horrible. I guess the people he worked with figured he just quit.
At least half the people are retired that live here. This is not the first time this has happened. 3 of us are good friends and decided that we will text each other when we get up so there’s daily contact.

We all have pets and don’t want them to suffer. We all have keypads on our doors and know the code. None of us talk to our kids daily or anyone on a daily basis. We figured this is an easy way to keep this from happening to us.

Back
Top Bottom