Building our new retirement place

skyking1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rather than clog up the "views" thread with our adventure, it was suggested I start a new thread.
I snagged some photos off the real estate sites.
This is the view to the west of the olympic foothills. I think that has become the focus of the house location.
Peeking through the trees.
pb1.webp

From the very edge of the upper area, looking west across the lower part of the property.
westlook.webp

They will have some snow on in a month or so.

From the other thread:
After speaking with the irrigation district managers, we are proceeding with the purchase.
If the pipeline is located as depicted on the GIS map, it fits with our plans for a subdivision.
If it is not where it shows on the map, I can move it, provided it enters and leaves the property at the same places. I don't know what you did at megacorp, but in construction I do things like moving a pipeline and it qualifies as a nothingburger.
I am operating on the assumption that the property to the east will be developed sooner than later, and it will block the ground level views to the water to the northeast.
DW wants a single level home. We both want an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU).
I want a classic gothic arch barn for a shop.
https://youtu.be/4P4BHlbeD6Y
I will propose an ADU in the loft of that building, looking over any development. The house would then be located where it would get the best sun.

I like that barn! I wouldn’t trust the GIS map location of the pipeline. I would have the pipeline location surveyed as part of the boundary survey for the purchase. The surveyed location would help in planning your subdivision/ building layout.

There is no survey information on the pipe. There is no locate tape or wire either. I will go find it and determine if it is where I want it and if it isn't, I will move it there.
We will also make connection to at at that time. The goal is to provide irrigation water to the subdivision lots, so they don't have to spin a water meter to water lawns.

Last edited:
Lovely view through the trees. Great place to focus on.

FWIW we are also building and are working with our architect to design an "ADA Lite" house. Not full wheelchair friendly but including the easy stuff like everything on one level (no steps even from the garage), all 36" or wider halls, 36" door openings, "L" handles not knobs on doors, higher/15" outlets, ... This has not added a lot of cost but we hope that it improves our lives as we become more decrepit. You might want to consider some of this.

Absolutely OS. I did our remodel here, and made a walk in shower with no threshold, and put ADA height blocking in every bathroom wall. I can add an ADA height hand rail with some screws, anywhere. My late brother in law was in a wheelchair since 1975 and I am acutely aware of what just a couple of things can do. I poured a concrete ramp here, he used it maybe 10 times but it was really nice for moving any furniture into the house, etc.
Thanks for reminding me about the outlet height. The wide doors and halls and easy turns were going to happen, as well as a big roll in shower.
Plus a million on no step from the garage too. That one always chapped my hide on "single level" homes.

FWIW we are also building and are working with our architect to design an "ADA Lite" house. Not full wheelchair friendly but including the easy stuff like everything on one level (no steps even from the garage), all 36" or wider halls, 36" door openings, "L" handles not knobs on doors, higher/15" outlets, ... This has not added a lot of cost but we hope that it improves our lives as we become more decrepit. You might want to consider some of this.

You've touched on something I have often contemplated as I look forward longingly to retiring and moving out of my current area to another state. My issue is that where I am now slab-on-grade single story homes are the norm. Where I'm wanting to go single story homes are few and far between. To find a house not on a stem wall or otherwise elevated with several stairs leading to the entrance door is almost an oddity. Due to a disability issue I need the house to have no stairs.

For numerous reasons I dread the thought of having a home built. On the other hand I worry that finding a suitable house without any stairs in the right location will be almost impossible. :(

... For numerous reasons I dread the thought of having a home built. On the other hand I worry that finding a suitable house without any stairs in the right location will be almost impossible. :(
I think you're right; these "ADA Lite" ideas have not been around for a long time. There is an AIA architect specialization for ADA that requires some training (https://aiau.aia.org/ada-courses-architects-design-professionals) but it's not like a year of college. More like seminars. But that may be a place to start looking for an architect. A couple of weeks ago the local AIA chapter had a house tour weekend where several of the houses were identified as having "aging in place" design features. Very disappointing, actually. More an advertising claim than any really new ideas or well-implemented features. So yes, not easy.

And, OK I lied a little bit about being a single level. DW and my living space is single level but there is a loft over the garage and there is a basement that can be built out with a couple of bedrooms. We don't expect that people with limited mobility will be using these spaces, but in both cases the stairways will be wide enough (36" or more) to easily take a future stair-chair lift.

Last edited:
So we closed and are now cash lite :)
The weather is dreadful for the next while, so we will wait for some nice clear weekend to run up there and just sit in the pickup bed in some chairs, and drive it around on the upper half and think about where we want our view and orientation. We can also plan on the winter shadows and where we can sit for the combination of views and winter sun. The property is sloping, so the truck bed will be about right for a single level perspective. I keep thinking a detached garage with a longish walk and ramp to maximize the sun on the home.

Now I am putting together estimates to do a subdivision on the lower half. If we can make it work and still keep some privacy, it will give us a serious bump in assets.
I would do all the necessary work right up to paving; that is the single biggest expense.
I can use the equipment from work and the bond and backing of the company to keep my costs very low.

Sounds great! That subdivision will keep you busy. It is always tempting sell and when you know you can make some money. Lol I get that!

For some reason I missed your photos. Wow, that is a great building site.

Sounds great! That subdivision will keep you busy. It is always tempting sell and when you know you can make some money. Lol I get that!

For some reason I missed your photos. Wow, that is a great building site.

I have been lax with the pictures.
Here is the general area for the house.
PXL-20210926-155118072-PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL-20210926-155115318-PORTRAIT.jpg

Looking through the trees, the mountains would be through that gap to the left.
PXL-20210926-155019651.jpg

This is the high ground, next to those trees. It has the view of the Straits, Cascades, Mount Baker. This is where I would put the barn with loft.
PXL-20210926-155009397-1.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful views!! A friend of mine is a contractor and just built a new house on 5 acres 40 minutes from town. A realtor told them what to build for good resale value because at 62 they won’t stay out there forever.

Thanks. Now we wait for better weather to do a little brush cutting for access.

Thinking about subscribing to plan 3d so I can draw up some home ideas. I used it years ago to do some house dreaming. It is only $36 for a year of dreaming out loud.

we had the same idea about 20 years ago and bought two five acre parcels off finn hall and gunn rd in port angeles - similar view

we ended up retiring in Idaho and sold those parcels a few years ago

beautiful area

is that by port ludlow on the penninsula? great golf area

If the stairs are against a wall, add blocking to the stairwell to make it easier to attach a railing.

And if space permits why not a 42" - 48" wide halls and stairway?

Yes! Wider and fewer halls, wide doors.
There will be no stairs on the main home, at least as we are planning.
My wife and I are discussing those things in detail now, and I can get it on digital paper using plan 3d.
Currently we crash into each other in the kitchen, for want of about 4' by 10'.
The master could do with 4x12 on two sides.
The living room is good as is.
Dining needs about 2x10.
That's only 156 square feet!
We are in <1300 square feet. I had thought about ~2000.
Now I am angling toward ~1800, with 3/2 and a craft/game room about 16x24
I know I could use a free program, but when I did this before it was remarkably easy to work with.
The big deal was all the available textures and objects. I can put cabinets in there quickly, change the wood or paint them, do T&G ceilings, paint, tile. You can get the look refined and then take it to the architect.
As the chief nail bender, I look towards a simple rectangle and will lean heavily on rooflines and different siding treatments to break up the "big box look."
I really don't like those busy designs with all the niches and short wall sections that have been so popular. I want to stand up some big walls and get going!

If the stairs are against a wall, add blocking to the stairwell to make it easier to attach a railing.

And if space permits why not a 42" - 48" wide halls and stairway?
No reason to block for handrails when there are all those studs there; both of the seldom-used stairs will have handrails from the git-go. We will also have a few grab bars and blocking for more.

Space always "permits;" all you have to do is to write the checks for the bigger foundation, walls, ceilings, floors, and finishes. "Why not 42" or 48"stairways? Because its unnecessary. Where necessary, halls will be 48."

@skyking1, doorknobs are fairly far down the planning road from here but have you seen this? https://kk.org/cooltools/best-adaptable-door-handle/ and https://brinksppr.com/ We had not. I bought a lever style one and installed it in a door we use a lot between our house and our attached garage. Very handy. We're very happy and assuming no problems we will probably specify those for the new lake house. It looks to be pretty well made. Installation fit is a little fussier than normal hardware but should not be a problem. Color choice is not great; "Tuscan Bronze" is basically plain black, but we can live with it.

I got started on the project a bit, applying for an address as this is raw land.
I also have a quote and information on power at our property. I had figured it was going to be a long run and expensive, but there is 3 phase underground primary cable down the right-of-way that borders the property. It looks to be less than 6K if I do all the trenching and prep work to get my own transformer placed where I want it. I can place the water service in the same trench, so I will contact the city to get that pipe inspected for backfill.
In my experience that water service line can fail, so I will at least double down and put in two runs. It is cheap insurance.
I will run whatever conduit that the local cable wants, and also double down there too. Pipe is cheap, tearing everything up again not so much.

Back
Top Bottom