Buying a New Car

I waited "years" to buy the Tesla Model S for them to make a significant new body shape. Since I finally gave up and just bought one, I've guaranteed they will do it soon...

This blows my mind:

• In the non-luxury market, pickup trucks fueled the price increase. In April, full-size pickups averaged $66,631, up 2.8% from the same time last year. Unlike the overall market, pickup prices are also higher compared to 2023.
$66K+ is the average price for a pickup truck! Who buys these things? Rhinestone Cowboys and dilettante trade workers?

I just returned from a short road trip where I rented a Hyundai Elantra. Gas mileage was in the 30’s in the cities and in the 40’s to low 50’s on the open road. It was not a hybrid. I remember my old Toyota that once hit 36 mpg on a perfectly flat road driving about 55 mph max in overdrive gear. I am amazed.

^^^^^
Sure beats the 12 to 13mpg I'm getting out of my truck on the highway. :)

I’ve read most millionaires drive pickup trucks. Most drive them for decades until they have at least 250K miles on them.

Low 20’s mpg on the highway. Didn’t come with any rhinestones. I did buy it in 2021 before the prices went crazy but it’s a Denali so it was a bit more than my Silverado that I traded in.
IMG_1901.jpeg

And that's with premium fuel to add to the fuel costs.
That's true too! But I knew that when I bought it. :) But hey it's got a 33 gallon tank, so I can still get ~400 miles between fill ups. I'm actually lucky since most of my driving is on the highways. Folks that have trucks like mine that drive primarily in city traffic are reporting they are only getting 9 to 10 mpg, sometimes even less.

They probably buy oil and gas stocks too. :)

Last edited:
A good warranty is a great selling point especially with today’s high cost of repairs in many areas.
Hyundai and Kia have longer "bumper-to-bumper" warranties than most other car makers... something to consider. I think they did it because when they entered the US there was skeptism about a Korean car maker and the longer warranty helped mitigate that concern. We've had a Hyundai Sonata and a Kia Forte over the years and they e both been good cars.

I’ve read most millionaires drive pickup trucks. Most drive them for decades until they have at least 250K miles on them.
The Newport Beach CA wealthy haven't gotten the word, spent a week there with my pickup truck and felt like I was the only one on the road in a pickup except for a few work trucks. They do like their Tesla's out there, seemed like 25% of the vehicles on the road were Tesla's.

I paid cash for a 1 year-old Toyota that's now 21 years old. Repairs are finally starting to get serious. Watching this thread. I have no idea how to buy a new car without getting fleeced.
Best trick I ever learned was to walk out of the show room when they don't meet your price. If they don't tackle you by the time you reach the door, they've probably given you their lowest price and you should look elsewhere. Alternately, they'll call you and likely meet your (reasonable) price.

When they say "I'll have to check with the sales manager," get up and say "Call me if he meets my price" as you walk toward the front door.

Best trick I ever learned was to walk out of the show room when they don't meet your price. If they don't tackle you by the time you reach the door, they've probably given you their lowest price and you should look elsewhere. Alternately, they'll call you and likely meet your (reasonable) price.

When they say "I'll have to check with the sales manager," get up and say "Call me if he meets my price" as you walk toward the front door.
In the current world of MSRP + pricing for desirable models, that approach will only result in trips to many different dealers!

In the current world of MSRP + pricing for desirable models, that approach will only result in trips to many different dealers!
Well, you do have to be practical and do your research on what cars sell for in your area. You can't "low ball" the dealer on a hot car model and expect any response. Also, visiting several dealers IS a way to end up with a lower price if you're willing to do the slog.

Well, you do have to be practical and do your research on what cars sell for in your area. You can't "low ball" the dealer on a hot car model and expect any response. Also, visiting several dealers IS a way to end up with a lower price if you're willing to do the slog.
I bought my new Bolt online and negotiated the price and terms. The only visit to the dealer was to pick it up. When was the last time you bought a new car? (If I remember correctly, you have an older Buick?)

Many folks these days (and here) do online research, send out requests for quotes to several dealers, negotiate via email, and then pick a dealer. Or if you want a used car, you can use Carmax, Carvana, etc and do the same online research and selection. Going to dealers is so 1999.;)

Last edited:
I bought my new Bolt online and negotiated the price and terms. The only visit to the dealer was to pick it up. When was the last time you bought a new car?

Many folks these days (and here) do online research, send out requests for quotes to several dealers, negotiate via email, and then pick a dealer. .;)
Bingo, that's the way I've been buying my new cars for the past 6 or 7 years. As ya'll know, I buy a new car every 12 to 18mos and everyone of them has been found on-line and terms negotiated on-line. Extends my range of dealers to find what I want and it works really well to quickly know what is a fair price and to force the dealers to be competitive.

Oh, and I usually won't give a dealer my phone number until we get close to a deal. It's all done by email.

I bought my new Bolt online and negotiated the price and terms. The only visit to the dealer was to pick it up. When was the last time you bought a new car? (If I remember correctly, you have an older Buick?)

Many folks these days (and here) do online research, send out requests for quotes to several dealers, negotiate via email, and then pick a dealer. Or if you want a used car, you can use Carmax, Carvana, etc and do the same online research and selection. Going to dealers is so 1999.;)
Heh, heh, last car I bought new was 1991!:blush:

BUT, in the 80s I bought a BUNCH of cars (for myself, my dad and for the business.) When I've bought used (since) I use the same technique. After finding something I'd be interested in (like the Buick) I listen to the dealer's price and then shoot him a price I can live with. If he balks - I walk(s).:facepalm::cool:

I am "reasonable" - not offering $2 grand for a car he's asking $5 grand for. IIRC the 2000 Buick in '12 was $6K and I offered $5K. It had listed for about $26K new and had just 70K on the od. I notice now that this car in decent shape goes for about $3K retail. Not too bad. My OD now reads about 105K. So for 35K miles, I've "invested" about $2K depreciation and about $3K in non-routine repairs (struts and electric windows and coils and - of all things - the horn for instance.)

2 batteries, 12 oil changes, tags and insurance and storage with BFF (he always did my oil changes for cost) and I gave him $300/year for storage in front of his house. His DW loved having the car to take her little old lady friends to church meetings instead of in their "monster" truck.

Back of the envelope, I've spent $12K fixed costs for 12 years or $1K/year. That's much less than if I tried to rent a car for 3 to 5 months each year. A new car would have made no sense as depreciation would have been a killer. So, realistically, my new car buying days are long gone. Sad - but in keeping with my traditional cheap-wad ways, I guess. :cool: YMMV

I have several criteria and the #1 priority is comfort.
Take a long time to sit in the car. We have test driven several cars that were perplexingly awful. The Rav4 was terrible, we both felt abused after a 45 minute test drive.
Mazda used to be OK, but the CX5 was a non-starter, literally.
My old pickup with newer seats is better than the 2019 Tiguan for a full day of driving. We don't drive it for the comfort, but it is tops for us. It does get 20+ MPG as a bare truck and varying MPG based on the trailer. Yesterday I got ~17 towing a 3000 pound tractor on a 4000 pound trailer.

Take a long time to sit in the car. We have test driven several cars that were perplexingly awful. The Rav4 was terrible, we both felt abused after a 45 minute test drive.
Mazda used to be OK, but the CX5 was a non-starter, literally.
My old pickup with newer seats is better than the 2019 Tiguan for a full day of driving. We don't drive it for the comfort, but it is tops for us. It does get 20+ MPG as a bare truck and varying MPG based on the trailer. Yesterday I got ~17 towing a 3000 pound tractor on a 4000 pound trailer.
I have to agree about the comfort issue. That's what drew me to the old Buick. It's a true dinosaur of a car, but I've driven it 1000 miles (stopping for gas) with near complete comfort. I've never owned a car so comfortable. YMMV

I have several criteria too.
"It was" (In order)
Performance
Performance
Performance
Gadgets
Styling
Comfort

These days it's (In order)
Performance
Comfort
Gadgets
Styling

Things like gas mileage never entered the equation.

I have several criteria too.
"It was" (In order)
Performance
Performance
Performance
Gadgets
Styling
Comfort

These days it's (In order)
Performance
Comfort
Gadgets
Styling

Things like gas mileage never entered the equation.
i've always been conscious of the fuel footprint, and the diesel truck with 700 ft/lb of torque makes me smile.

This blows my mind:

$66K+ is the average price for a pickup truck! Who buys these things? Rhinestone Cowboys and dilettante trade workers?
My factory ordered F150 Lariat had an MSRP of $54,385 back in December, 2015, so that sounds about right.
I'll likely buy a higher trim level as its replacement in a few years, the model with a hot tub in the back.
Could run $80k, depending...

My factory ordered F150 Lariat had an MSRP of $54,385 back in December, 2015, so that sounds about right.
I'll likely buy a higher trim level as its replacement in a few years, the model with a hot tub in the back.
Could run $80k, depending...
Don't forget the diamond plated wheels. :cool:

My F-150 3.5l Ecoboost gets consistent 20 mpg on the highway.
Get one of them...

No thank you. As I said, gas mileage never enters into the equation when I'm buying a new vehicle. With a 6.2l blown engine, powering an AWD 3+ ton truck, that's almost 7 feet tall, you better not be expecting good gas mileage.

Last edited:
No thank you. As I said, gas mileage never enters into the equation when I'm buying a new vehicle. With a 6.2l blown engine, powering an AWD 3+ ton truck, that's almost 7 feet tall, you better not be expecting good gas mileage.
76" tall, 4wd, 700 ft pounds, turbo intercooled. 6700 pounds empty. Check! 15000 towing capacity, check!
;)

Back
Top Bottom