New Variant Vaccine

I'm not in a rush. I will speak with doc in the fall. (I was exposed/ in a Covid-filled house in June.)

I'll put it this way:

I knew people who died from COVID.

NO ONE I know has died from any vaccine. Ever.

Side effects we've experienced from vaccines were mild (very mild) fatigue and arm soreness for a day or two.

Seems a no-brainer to me.

I read that a new vaccine/booster which will include omicron protection is coming out in September.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? I have been a staunch supporter of vaccines, have gotten the original two, a booster in 9/21 and second booster in 4/22. I contracted covid in 6/22 and had a very mild case. I took Paxlovid for 1 1/2 days (that's all I could handle with the nasty taste).

Now I have to say I am a bit hesitant to get another booster. My husband's cardiologist advised him not to get the 2nd booster because of his Afib. (My husband had a mild case of covid also in 6/22).

Afib is not a contraindication to any vaccine. Multiple epidemiologic studies have demonstrated that people with Afib are at much greater risk of severe infection than matched controls. I'm a bit disturbed that a cardiologist would give such advice without evidence to back up his advice. Infection with all coronaviruses tend not to confer long term immunity overall, so it is important to keep up with ones immunizations whenever possible.

My 15 month old grandson's pediatrician advised against him getting the booster (not clear why). The baby also had covid (mild) in 5/22.

One reason to get children vaccinated is to protect the high risk adults in their lives, such as their grandparents. However, boosters are not yet approved for children under age 5 years. Also, Covid vaccines were not approved for use under age 5 years until June 19th, so enough time hasn't passed for a booster to even be considered. As of now the pediatrician is correct. But the 15 month old should be vaccinated.

I worry about vaccine hesitancy in pediatricians. They are the front line for vaccination advocacy. I guess some weren't around when bacterial meningitis was common, with a high risk of mortality or permanent disability before vaccines developed 20-40 years ago nearly wiped out the disease. Or took care of a 3 month old with chicken pox in the ICU when her mother was non-immune (before the vaccine). And none were around during the polio outbreak in the 1950s.

My unvaccinated BIL was quite ill with the delta variant but fortunately did not have to be hospitalized. My fully vaxxed sister had to take care of him, and did not even get infected.

I think I now know of more people who have had covid than not. I do not know anyone who has gotten real sick with it (even some very elderly folks), vaccinated or not.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do regarding this latest booster. I will get my flu shot though.

I too know many who have had Covid. Our household has been free of it so far. We have taken limited risks, but mask indoors whenever possible. We are as vaccinated as can be.

Vaccines are up there with cooking and clean water as being amongst the most effective method of disease prevention in all of history. Why people get colonoscopies and other screenings but won't get vaccines is baffling to me. A colonoscopy is far riskier than a shot.

You've been double boosted and have gotten COVID recently (BA.4 or BA.5, in all likelihood). Since you asked, I would not be in any particular rush to get another booster this year if I were in your shoes. Your bout with Omicron in June provided you with lots of natural immunity, probably giving more long-lasting protection than any mRNA booster you could take this fall. Just my two cents, of course.
Not likely. https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/covid-19-studies-natural-immunity-versus-vaccination compares the initial vaccination to so-called "natural immunity", but the points it make still contradict your theory.

To sum up:

• Vaccine immunity is stronger than natural immunity.
  • A third of infections don't get any protective antibodies
  • Natural immunity fades more quickly than vaccine immunity

You've been double boosted and have gotten COVID recently (BA.4 or BA.5, in all likelihood). Since you asked, I would not be in any particular rush to get another booster this year if I were in your shoes. Your bout with Omicron in June provided you with lots of natural immunity, probably giving more long-lasting protection than any mRNA booster you could take this fall. Just my two cents, of course.
+1
If you get the booster I would at least let your body work on the real Omicron virus it saw in June until maybe a week, or two, before the Thanksgiving Holiday surge.

I would consider dropping any doctor who advised against booster if eligible and available to me. And I'll continue to take every one as they come up for me. I like the sound of the new one - all the original formulations are from the first main strain.

I agree. Or nod knowingly and do what the actual experts recommend.

Omicron is less lethal but I can't see any good reason not to be up to date on vaccines. Long covid is no joke.

Not likely. https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/covid-19-studies-natural-immunity-versus-vaccination compares the initial vaccination to so-called "natural immunity", but the points it make still contradict your theory.

To sum up:

Not sure if this study is referring to one natural immunity verse two vaccine injections. Even one vaccine injection doesn't typically produce much antibody response. That is why it is a two dose vaccine. Actually last winter the position of the government was that the two injections were too close, so we needed a third injection.

To sum up:

What you posted says, "The data is clear: Natural immunity is not better. The COVID-19 vaccines create more effective and longer-lasting immunity than natural immunity from infection."

However the person you responded to has been vaccinated, double boosted, and had covid. The item you posted says nothing about this scenario. Getting vaccinated, double boosted and then having this new booster may indeed provide better immunity than getting vaccinated, double boosted, and getting infected with covid ... or it may not.
I don't think anyone knows at this stage.

This is not directed to anyone on this thread and is not specifically related to Covid, but I have been thinking about vaccine hesitancy recently. I can understand why people would not want to get vaccinated themselves. I disagree with them, but I understand them. But for the life of me, I cannot understand why someone would want to convince others not to get vaccinated. And yet that appears to be happening; yesterday, I read a NYT essay by Dr. Mary Bassett, the New York State Health Commissioner. She was focused on the current polio outbreak in NY and the need to improve polio vaccination rates, but this one paragraph struck me as having universal application.

The problem is not just those who resist. Today, health departments fight not only infectious diseases but also disinformation campaigns designed to wage war against vaccines. During the 2018-19 New York State measles outbreak, reporting showed highly targeted misinformation meant to seed doubt about vaccines in the community suffering the outbreak. According to a study conducted by the Kaiser Family Foundation in November 2021, 78 percent of adults said they heard at least one of eight false statements about Covid-19 or the vaccines...

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/21/...polio-is-a-threat.html?searchResultPosition=1

It seems sociopathic to me.

This is not directed to anyone on this thread and is not specifically related to Covid, but I have been thinking about vaccine hesitancy recently. I can understand why people would not want to get vaccinated themselves. I disagree with them, but I understand them. But for the life of me, I cannot understand why someone would want to convince others not to get vaccinated. And yet that appears to be happening; yesterday, I read a NYT essay by Dr. Mary Bassett, the New York State Health Commissioner. She was focused on the current polio outbreak in NY and the need to improve polio vaccination rates, but this one paragraph struck me as having universal application.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/21/...polio-is-a-threat.html?searchResultPosition=1

It seems sociopathic to me.

This is what happens when those actively participating in Darwin's Law of Natural Selection discover social media.

About 7 years ago I got the Zostavax shot for shingles. Soon after they came out with the Shingrix vaccine, which they recommended everyone over a certain age get, even if they had had the Zostavax shot.

I asked my doctor and he said, "You already have some protection so why don't we wait a couple of years and see how this new shot plays out." I followed his advice and then finally got the two shot Shingrix series. Note that he didn't tell me not to get a shingles vaccine at all.

Similarly, there is a big difference between someone refusing to get vaccinated for covid at all and someone saying, "I've been vaccinated and boosted and I prefer to wait and see how these new boosters perform."

This is what happens when those actively participating in Darwin's Law of Natural Selection discover social media.

Then if they get real sick, they will be looking to the government programs which they are against.:facepalm:

I got two AstraZeneca shots in 2021, one Moderna in February, and a mild case of Covid in April. I will wait until the end of the year to see what the situation looks likec before deciding on the next shot.

Long COVID seems to be very common, even with mild illness or asymptomatic infection, and it can be very bad and could be with you forever.

I'll get the new vaccine as soon as it's available to me. I don't get the OP's hesitancy.

........ But for the life of me, I cannot understand why someone would want to convince others not to get vaccinated...........
At the risk of sounding paranoid, I think some of this is purposely generated by Russian troll farms. They constantly look for sources of domestic conflict and use bots and humans to amplify things in ways harmful to the US.

I think on forums we are discussing issues but I wouldn’t ever try to convince someone to take or not take something when it comes to medical care. When Covid was killing people I did think people not getting vaccinated were foolish. My sister has copd and is 10 years older than me so her taking as many Covid shots as recommended sounds prudent to me. I am not fond of vaccines that have a variable effectiveness and must be taken yearly. That’s why I never get the flu shot.

Long COVID seems to be very common, even with mild illness or asymptomatic infection, and it can be very bad and could be with you forever.

I'll get the new vaccine as soon as it's available to me. I don't get the OP's hesitancy.

That's OK the OP probably doesn't care that you don't get it..his hesitancy that is.

Afib is not a contraindication to any vaccine. Multiple epidemiologic studies have demonstrated that people with Afib are at much greater risk of severe infection than matched controls. I'm a bit disturbed that a cardiologist would give such advice without evidence to back up his advice. Infection with all coronaviruses tend not to confer long term immunity overall, so it is important to keep up with ones immunizations whenever possible.

One reason to get children vaccinated is to protect the high risk adults in their lives, such as their grandparents. However, boosters are not yet approved for children under age 5 years. Also, Covid vaccines were not approved for use under age 5 years until June 19th, so enough time hasn't passed for a booster to even be considered. As of now the pediatrician is correct. But the 15 month old should be vaccinated.

I worry about vaccine hesitancy in pediatricians. They are the front line for vaccination advocacy. I guess some weren't around when bacterial meningitis was common, with a high risk of mortality or permanent disability before vaccines developed 20-40 years ago nearly wiped out the disease. Or took care of a 3 month old with chicken pox in the ICU when her mother was non-immune (before the vaccine). And none were around during the polio outbreak in the 1950s.

My unvaccinated BIL was quite ill with the delta variant but fortunately did not have to be hospitalized. My fully vaxxed sister had to take care of him, and did not even get infected.

I too know many who have had Covid. Our household has been free of it so far. We have taken limited risks, but mask indoors whenever possible. We are as vaccinated as can be.

Vaccines are up there with cooking and clean water as being amongst the most effective method of disease prevention in all of history. Why people get colonoscopies and other screenings but won't get vaccines is baffling to me. A colonoscopy is far riskier than a shot.

You might be willing to put the Covid vaccines in a group with all vaccines, but I don't think we are there yet. The simple fact you need repeated doses with literally no end in site proves that...

At the risk of sounding paranoid, I think some of this is purposely generated by Russian troll farms. They constantly look for sources of domestic conflict and use bots and humans to amplify things in ways harmful to the US.

Maybe, but I find it funny that convincing someone to get vaccinated is fine but telling someone not to get vaccinated is sociopathic... POV rules I guess.

Reactions: W2R
Unfortunately there has been a lot of disinformation and contradiction on both sides. Certainly the vaccines have not proven to be as effective as we were told. The CDC recently admitted mustakes in its covid resoonse. Lots of blame to go around.

This is not a sterilizing vaccine like the polio vaccine-far from it.

I got vaccinated and boosted but I take care to not look down on or demonize those who see things differently. Everyone has their own decision to make.

You might be willing to put the Covid vaccines in a group with all vaccines, but I don't think we are there yet. The simple fact you need repeated doses with literally no end in site proves that...

But isn't one of the main reasons that we are having a new Covid booster because the virus is mutating and the vaccine has to be changed? Thank heavens diseases like polio and smallpox do not mutate because if they did we would need repeated doses of vaccines for those diseases too.

DW and I are at 4 shots. We have travelled extensively over the last 2 years, including cruises and Europe, and have not to our knowledge had Covid. We mask regularly, but do eat in restaurants w/o. Will gladly get an Omicron booster.

But for the life of me, I cannot understand why someone would want to convince others not to get vaccinated.

Emotions and beliefs.

On this forum, we have people convincing others to:

- Avoid seed oils.
- Eat tropical oils.
- Avoid all fats.
- Avoid all carbs and eat a lot of saturated fats.

And so on. These are important health beliefs to those who are proponents of the position, so they proselytize.

No different from the annual flu vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom