Home Covid Testing

Would you self quarantine if you got sick while abroad?

Even if it cost you money in more lodging costs, flight change fees, etc.?

I think this article was posted before.

https://blog.ricksteves.com/cameron/2022/07/i-got-covid/

I can tell you that most people will not even if it doesn’t cost them any money. I was the only person on the tour that tested and many of the 33 people were sick. In addition the tour guide encouraged people not to test after I got sick. It was a very stressful 6 days until I had my flight and 7 days until I had the private driver since I was in the middle of nowhere. The tour company picks up all the expenses for everyone as it’s their Covid promise.

Would you self quarantine if you got sick while abroad?

Even if it cost you money in more lodging costs, flight change fees, etc.?

I think this article was posted before.

https://blog.ricksteves.com/cameron/2022/07/i-got-covid/

Yes we would. It was our first overseas trip post covid. We discussed this possibility prior to making the decision.

To the point where we paid a premium for our airline tickets in order to get a refundable/no change fee ticket going and a no fee changeable ticket coming home just in case.

And made very few non refundable accommodation reservations in advance just in case.

Cannot imagine having covid and knowingly exposing others to it.

Last edited:
I can tell you that most people will not even if it doesn’t cost them any money. I was the only person on the tour that tested and many of the 33 people were sick. In addition the tour guide encouraged people not to test after I got sick. It was a very stressful 6 days until I had my flight and 7 days until I had the private driver since I was in the middle of nowhere. The tour company picks up all the expenses for everyone as it’s their Covid promise.

Good for you. Surprising how few people seem to have any integrity when it comes to money. To the point where they would willingly put others at risk.

We like to cruise. This is one of the reasons why we are not even considering a cruise at this time, let alone shopping for one.

Yes we would. It was our first overseas trip post covid. We discussed this possibility prior to making the decision.

To the point where we paid a premium for our airline tickets in order to get a refundable/no change fee ticket going and a no fee changeable ticket coming home just in case.

And made very few non refundable accommodation reservations in advance just in case.

Cannot imagine having covid and knowingly exposing others to it.

Good for you. Unfortunately, I think that for many “living with Covid” means not caring if they are contagious. Quarantine/isolation is too inconvenient and disruptive for them.

Last edited:
Brett, it didn’t have anything to do with money as the tour company picks up all the expenses. It cost them about 4K for mine. They cover everything with no questions.

Brett, it didn’t have anything to do with money as the tour company picks up all the expenses. It cost them about 4K for mine. They cover everything with no questions.

Are people not that smart or do they just not care if they infect others or cause them grief. Perhaps it comes down to a sense of entitlement.

Good for you. Unfortunately, I think that for many “living with Covid” means not caring if they are contagious. Quarantine/isolation is too inconvenient and disruptive for them.

Most to the credit goes to my spouse. It is really not a big deal to quarantine for a few days.

Last edited:
Brett, I guess they don’t want to miss the rest of the tour. It was a expensive tour and I lost half of it. Plus they probably don’t want to be told how long to quarantine. Because they followed each counties guidelines although not required to by Ireland I had to quarantine for 8 days. Most of the counties were 5.

Well I've been feeling pretty bad since Monday, sore throat at first (only lasted ~one day) then body aches and joint pains in the last few days, mostly in the neck and lower back, and headaches for ~5 days now. (I almost never get headaches) No fever or cough and oxygen level is 96 but energy level is really, really low... So anyway, I took the COVID test yesterday and it came back negative.:)

Not sure what it is, but Aleve and Tylenol both seem to help so I guess I'll just have to wait it out.
I'm not sure what it was/is but I feel ~80% better today. :dance: So I never developed any cough/sneezing or breathing problems. Minor sore throat for a few days but pretty bad body/joint aches and headaches that lasted 5 or more days. My energy levels were down to almost nothing for a few days. (If I were the "Energizer Bunny", I would have completely stopped moving.) Fever came on and climbed all weekend topping out at 102.1 and I became very sensitive to bright lights. Didn't want to eat, drink and found it hard to sleep. I thought for sure I had covid but I took the at home covid test every other day and they all came back negative. :) Maybe they were all false negatives?

So I'm not fully vaccinated (whatever that is these day) but I have had both covid and flu shots. Still don't feel "right" just yet, but I am much better. I don't know what kind of bug it was/is, but I don't want it again.

Last edited:
The hotel went to the pharmacy for me with a list of things I needed. One was a oximeter because I was worried about my oxygen level getting too low and I have asthma. I never lost my taste or smell. Although because my allergies are so bad neither of mine is great on a good day.

When we had covid the oximeter was the first thing that DW pulled out of her bag of tricks. It was surprising to see the differences throughout the day, and between days.

Still don't feel "right" just yet, but I am much better. I don't know what kind of bug it was/is, but I don't want it again.
So glad you are feeling better, Car-Guy!! Take care, get plenty of rest, and with any luck you will feel even better tomorrow than you do today. :)

^^^^ Thanks... And even though I feel well enough to "get out", I'll continue to stay at home (and rest) for another couple of days, just in case I'm still contagious. And I certainly don't want to do anything that might cause a relapse.

Last edited:
^^^^ Thanks... And even though I feel well enough to "get out", I'll continue to stay at home (and rest) for another couple of days, just in case I'm still contagious. And I certainly don't want to do anything that might cause a relapse.

Very considerate of you to stay home for a few more days to make sure you are not contagious. Glad you are feeling better from "whatever" it was.

Just ordered this morning.
I have a few expiring and the rest I adjusted the date based on the updated guidelines.

Also just ordered and spread the word for my friends and family. I currently have 4 left and they have been extended until mid-February, so I noted that on the box so I don't forget. These home tests were really helpful to me when I came down with symptoms and I also was able to give my niece a test when her husband had symptoms but didn't have a test handy. I like to have them on hand just in case.

Thanks for this, I ordered some more, most of mine have expired

On the sign up site for the new ones, there's a link with updated expiry info for older tests like we all probably still have sitting around.

Most unpopular opinion of the year:

They are providing four more free covid home test kits for those that want them.
https://www.covid.gov/tests

I have never had or used even one Covid home test. In fact, I have never been tested for Covid except for that one time in Arkansas when Frank had an ambulance take me to the ER. They tested me and yes, I had Covid.

If I feel sick, I just assume that I *AM* sick and behave accordingly. Honestly I can't imagine feeling even slightly sick and then just going out in public and breathing on people and coughing/sneezing all over them. That's just not something that I do. :p

They are providing four more free covid home test kits for those that want them.
https://www.covid.gov/tests

Is this legitimate? I didn't see a date on any of the covid.gov screens. Old news that wasn't taken down?

I thought the Federal gov. was getting out of the free testing and free vax. At least that was what I have been reading from reputable sources.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom