Home Covid Testing

Medicare allows DH to get 8 tests per month from any participating pharmacy no charge. Just walk into Walmart…..

Ordered mine. Just today I took one since I have the worst cold symptoms but it was negative. I wasn't sure if I should be happy or sad that I am such a wimp a cold is so annoying.

Pretty quick turn-around, got a shipping notice from USPS, delivery scheduled for Monday.

I have never had or used even one Covid home test. In fact, I have never been tested for Covid except for that one time in Arkansas when Frank had an ambulance take me to the ER. They tested me and yes, I had Covid.

If I feel sick, I just assume that I *AM* sick and behave accordingly. Honestly I can't imagine feeling even slightly sick and then just going out in public and breathing on people and coughing/sneezing all over them. That's just not something that I do. :p

My wife and I have never had a Covid test whether a home test or from a city service. We have, however, Always worn a mask, social distanced, been vaccinated and boosted, and avoided those who have not done the same. If I am doing the test after coming down with symptoms from being unprotected around others then the test will not tell me anything new. lf I am following all the suggested protections and not showing symptoms then I think I can be comfortable thinking that I am not carrying the virus. With all the information regarding false negatives how would you really know for sure if it was accurate or not. The other down side is there have been many instances that someone has home tested negative and was found to have been carrying the virus. This was either due to test inaccuracy or the person testing was not doing the test properly.

Cheers!

Reactions: W2R
I have never had or used even one Covid home test. In fact, I have never been tested for Covid except for that one time in Arkansas when Frank had an ambulance take me to the ER. They tested me and yes, I had Covid.

If I feel sick, I just assume that I *AM* sick and behave accordingly. Honestly I can't imagine feeling even slightly sick and then just going out in public and breathing on people and coughing/sneezing all over them. That's just not something that I do. :p

I have never had one either. In 21 when I was recovering from being sick they did the blood draw and checked to see if I had Covid which I did. I figure if I’m sick I’m sick.

Last test give away I did order 4 to go into our go bag along with a 7 day regiment of medicine. I figure at that point if I am stuck overseas and can’t break the sickness it’s time to see a doc.

With all the information regarding false negatives how would you really know for sure if it was accurate or not. [...] there have been many instances that someone has home tested negative and was found to have been carrying the virus. This was either due to test inaccuracy or the person testing was not doing the test properly.

Exactly, that's my view of it, too. And imagine how one would feel, if a false negative resulted in unknowingly giving Covid to some beloved person who then dies from it? :eek:

It's like walking on a tightrope between Scylla and Charybdis. Perhaps there is no right answer, but personally I prefer to self-quarantine instead of relying upon home test results.

We've used 6 covid tests to check for the flu or the common cold and all negative. Just order up my 4 new free ones.

Isn't that what we're supposed to do?

Would be nice if they combined it with flu/rsv. Not sure what good it would do to know exactly but just kinda gee whiz.

We test quite frequently, not necessarily symptomatic, but because we take care of DGS and do not want to pass anything on to him unknowingly.
And if we have any possible exposure (large crowd, etc--after 10 hours in ER with DH a while ago was one of those!) I test at Day 5, and again, sometimes, Day 7.

I have chronic allergies, so am always with a stuffy or runny nose.
Better Safe than Sorry.
I just ordered our free tests, and we get them from our pharmacy as needed.

We do home testing with a batch of nasal swabs from Walgreens. BIL 1 and wife (anti vax, anti test conspiracy theorists) coming for a few days at Christmas. BIL2 and SIL2 have not been coming to family functions because SIL’s cancer treatments make her immune compromised.

They want to come to Christmas at our house, but they want people to be tested. We asked BIL1 and wife to be tested. They wanted to know if everyone had to be tested or just them. Then said that they would take their temps for their tests. I’m predicting a drama filled Christmas at our place.

Does a temp check serve as an accurate Covid test?

BIL1 says temp checks are doctor approved as a test.

I suppose there could be one dr somewhere that would claim that. But certainly not accepted by the medical community.
It doesn’t tell you a thing about Covid, and plenty of Covid positive people are contagious without a temperature.

Really sounds like these people shouldn’t mix. Why expose SIL2?

It doesn’t tell you a thing about Covid, and plenty of Covid positive people are contagious without a temperature.

Really sounds like these people shouldn’t mix. Why expose SIL2?

I agree. I’m going to relay the info to BIL2 and SIL2 and let them decide.

I agree. I’m going to relay the info to BIL2 and SIL2 and let them decide.

As stated- not everyone with Covid gets a temperature.
It is not a test for covid although it’s not a bad idea for everyone to take their temperature to avoid exposing SIL 2 to any other illness swirling around like the flu.

I know this is easier said than done but I would tell the anti test takers to stay at home if they couldn’t do a simple test to aid in keeping others from getting sick.
Only I wouldn’t be that nice about it!

As stated- not everyone with Covid gets a temperature.
It is not a test for covid although it’s not a bad idea for everyone to take their temperature to avoid exposing SIL 2 to any other illness swirling around like the flu.

I know this is easier said than done but I would tell the anti test takers to stay at home if they couldn’t do a simple test to aid in keeping others from getting sick.
Only I wouldn’t be that nice about it!

I agree, but DW already told her brother and wife that they can visit for a few days. She will meet them at the door telling her brother that taking the Covid test at her sister’s request is the least that they can do.

Would be nice if they combined it with flu/rsv. Not sure what good it would do to know exactly but just kinda gee whiz.

The pcr type test ( swabbing the back your nasal cavity (ugh) ) tests for 3 types of influenza, Covid, and rsv. My doc gave it to me :( last week when I complained about chest congestion and a bad cough during an office visit.

Got the results back in about 2 hrs.

_B

I still have 6 tests left from the previous USPS order - they expire in Mar 2023 (extended). I'm not sure whether it makes sense to order another batch when there is a limited supply from the stockpile. Can anyone who received their just-ordered tests let me know what expiration date you got? If it's like Jan 2023, I'm going to pass. If it's more like June 2023, then I'll place an order. Thanks!

I agree, but DW already told her brother and wife that they can visit for a few days. She will meet them at the door telling her brother that taking the Covid test at her sister’s request is the least that they can do.

Good idea--a supervised test by her to make sure it is done accurately!

I still have 6 tests left from the previous USPS order - they expire in Mar 2023 (extended). I'm not sure whether it makes sense to order another batch when there is a limited supply from the stockpile. Can anyone who received their just-ordered tests let me know what expiration date you got? If it's like Jan 2023, I'm going to pass. If it's more like June 2023, then I'll place an order. Thanks!

Just received my order this morning and they seem to be from an old batch, manufacture date of 3/4/22 that expire 2/13/23. According to the FDA web site these were extended a whopping two days to 2/15/23. The ones I received were from QuickVue, I'm sure they are shipping other brands that will have different expiration dates.

Someone(s) on this thread reminded me that folks on Medicare are entitled to 8 free tests per month from CVS and Walgreens.

I had to pick up my quarterly prescription yesterday, so I picked up 4 Binax boxes (8 tests total) from the shelf and asked the pharmacist if they were free to Medicare recipients, and he confirmed they were. He already had all my Medicare info in their computer; he just had to enter the transaction in their system, which took two minutes.

The ones I picked up yesterday expire 10/13/23.

And Walmart. But at Walmart I think they have them behind the pharmacy counter for you.

Back
Top Bottom