ACA form when joining medicare

camfused

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi. I received a form to fill out from my ACA provider, BCBS, saying that since I am about to go on Medicare (true, next month), I need to fill out a form so "that we have the information we need to update your coverage":
- My Medicare number
- My Medicare start date
- My SS number
- My birthdate
- Wife's Medicare number
- Wife's Medicare start date
- Wife's SS number
- Wife's birthdate

The return address is legit, to BCBS.

Well, this looks like a) a way for them to market Medicare plans to me, and not necessary, and b) way too much personal info (that they probably already have somehow). Did anyone else get this from their ACA provider when they were about to go on Medicare?

None of that is necessary to move from an ACA plan to Medicare. The only thing that they need is the date that you are ending your current plan and date your Medicare will start. That is it! I had an Anthem (BCBS) plan for the first two months of 2023. I started Medicare March 2023. I never was questioned about my Medicare intentions, be it traditional Medicare or an advantage plan.

FYI. If they insist that this information is necessary, contact your state insurance commission office and file a complaint.

Last edited:
Yeah, baloney!

I’m not on a subsidy but I don’t expect to have to give BCBS any info beyond calling them the last day to discontinue. I’ll stop the automated payment the month before so it won’t pull for that first Medicare month.

Have gotten many Medicare supplement/advantage fliers from several providers including BCBS over the past year+.

On that topic:

Yeah, baloney!

I’m not on a subsidy but I don’t expect to have to give BCBS any info beyond calling them the last day to discontinue. I’ll stop the automated payment the month before so it won’t pull for that first Medicare month.
I agree with this, especially the first line.

Looking at the info they requested, they already have date of birth and SS#. The request for spousal info is especially bogus.

Hi. I received a form to fill out from my ACA provider, BCBS, saying that since I am about to go on Medicare (true, next month), I need to fill out a form so "that we have the information we need to update your coverage":
- My Medicare number
- My Medicare start date
- My SS number
- My birthdate
- Wife's Medicare number
- Wife's Medicare start date
- Wife's SS number
- Wife's birthdate

The return address is legit, to BCBS.

Well, this looks like a) a way for them to market Medicare plans to me, and not necessary, and b) way too much personal info (that they probably already have somehow). Did anyone else get this from their ACA provider when they were about to go on Medicare?
Smells specifically like Medicxare Advantage marketing of its BCBS members. BSBS should have all that info, which is why i suspect marketing. Be sure to look at Medicare supplement plans (I also called Medigap plans. The same company (say, BCBS) can sell both. I prefer Med supplement. Much less narketing of them.
But, you have much better ability to seek and get treatment.

Looks like DCE is gone, replaced by ACO Realizing Equity, Access, and Community Health (REACH)

Thursday’s announcement effectively sunsets the Global and Professional Direct Contracting Model in its current form, and transitions certain participants and members into a newly established model, called ACO Realizing Equity, Access, and Community Health (REACH), beginning next year.

DGF just went through this today as she also starts Medicare the first of July. She just contacted her ACA HC provider to let them know her cancel date and then called ACA Marketplace to do the same with them.

If you stop to think about it, what possible reason could the current ACA provider have to need Medicare numbers for you, let alone your spouse, as the ACA coverage has nothing to do with Medicare. Marketing is the only answer that jumps to mind.

I could not go through my insurance company to discontinue ACA. I had to contact the Marketplace (healthcare.gov) directly to stop ACA coverage when I went on Medicare. I called the Marketplace and told them the date I needed to stop ACA because I was starting Medicare. Very easy to do.

^^^ That's what I plan on doing this coming Sunday. Sunday (night) is not going to be a problem, right?

I could not go through my insurance company to discontinue ACA. I had to contact the Marketplace (healthcare.gov) directly to stop ACA coverage when I went on Medicare. I called the Marketplace and told them the date I needed to stop ACA because I was starting Medicare. Very easy to do.
We don’t sign up for our ACA plan through a marketplace so have to deal directly.

Back
Top Bottom