Electric Vehicles - Models Discussion

Someone on the other forum said something about charging at a slower rate might be worse for the car because you are running the stuff that keeps the battery at the proper state for charging longer.

^^ Of course you can find anything you want on the internet nowadays, misinformation is common. Did “someone” provide any proof?

I’ve read dozens of articles (theory and many actual battery life studies) and they all seem to say the slower you charge the better for battery longevity - I suspect you’ve read them too. That said, a good BMS will minimize the damage of fast/ultra fast charging, so I have no reservations using a supercharger on an exception basis. I charge at home mostly 25A, even though I could use 32A - I usually charge overnight so there’s no rush, why push the circuit and equipment to the limit even though it’s perfectly safe.
One advantage of charging slowly is keeping your battery healthy. Time for a very quick lesson in lithium-ion batteries you find in EVs – as you charge or discharge them, the internal resistance in each cell creates heat. Do it quickly, and there’s a lot of heat. That has the potential to shorten the life of your EV battery, so charging slowly means less heat, and potentially a healthier battery.

It’s also worth noting that whilst modern EVs can keep their batteries cool, relying entirely on rapid charging does have the potential to degrade your battery, and you may find that over time your range decreases, or your car doesn’t charge as fast.
What Speed Should You Charge Your Electric Car At?

I can set it to stop charging at a certain time and I can estimate the amps to do it. I don't see how I can let the car decide

Do Teslas have adaptive level 2 charging? I got a message when I plugged my cell phone in one night last week that it will charge at the rate needed to be full by 7 am. I don't even have an alarm set! Anyway it occurs to me that I usually charge my car at 6 to 11.5 kW when the rates drop in the evening. Probably it charges in an hour or two. Would it be better for the car to charge as slowly as possible to hit the am target? Would that be better for the grid?
No benefit at home for charging slower IMO assuming you aren’t charging to 100% all the time. This is low level (current) charging. Just set the current you want and let it do its thing if you like it to charge starting at a certain time overnight. At home I’m usually only charging up to 65% anyway which is usually good enough for a week.

If I charge to 100% or 95% just before a long trip I schedule the charging to be completed just before we leave. Less stress on a fully charged battery if you drive the car right way.

I can set it to stop charging at a certain time and I can estimate the amps to do it. I don't see how I can let the car decide
No, the car does not decide, but if you schedule it to be done by a certain time in the morning the car will calculate when to start and is usually complete 30 mins before the time.

The car charging circuitry/software is very smart. Tesla knows what they are doing.

Last edited:
My free month of FSD 12.3.6 is about to expire. I just subscribed and am looking forward to 12.4.1. I found version 12 to be quite a bit better than version 11.4.

I have only made 12 long drives and a few trips to grocery but I am impressed. I don't think it scared me even once, although I have intervened several times.

Today on the highway I manipulated the turn signal stalk to suggest moving one lane to the right and it would not do it. In the past I could just flick the stalk and change lanes. Maybe FSD saw something unsafe that I was missing. "Sorry Dave. I can't do that for you."

Hi, here is a quick update with some data after 3.5 weeks (26 days) of ownership and 995 miles. I would say 10-20% highway @ 70-80 mph and the rest suburban @ 25-55 mph
This is for my 2024 Model Y LR AWD
2021 Toyota Corolla Hybrid (Real)2024 Model Y LR AWD 19" (EPA)2024 Model Y LR AWD 19" (Real)2024 Model Y LR AWD 19" (Real + w/ Collision)
Gas $ per Gallon$3.30
Miles per Gallon61.00
Miles per Year15,000.0015,000.0015,000.0015,000.00
Insurance per year (Progressive)$1,344.00$1,198.00$1,198.00$1,648.00
Gas per year$811.48
kWh per 100 Miles29.0025.4025.40
Miles per kWh3.453.943.94
kWh rate (FPL RS-1)$0.14$0.14$0.14
Electricity per year$609.00$533.40$533.40
Electricity per month$50.75$44.45$44.45
Tire (EV Tuned / 600AA)$1,300.00$1,300.00$1,300.00
Service$1,000.00
Miles per $18.4824.6328.1228.12
TOTAL$3,155.48$3,107.00$3,031.40$3,481.40

Couple of changes compared to the first post:
1/ Gas is cheaper on the Treasure Coast today (average $3.30 instead of $3.50)
2/ I have clarified the 2nd column with EPA rating (29 kWh per 100 miles)
3/ I have created a 3rd column with my real EPA (after 995 miles) which is 25.4 kWh per 100 miles or 3.94 miles per kWh
4/ I have created a 4th column with updated insurance coverage (+ Collision); columns 1-3 are with no collision coverage just to have a fair comparison with the Toyota.
5/ I have clarified the tire type: EV Tuned / 600AA (still estimating a replacement after a year / 15k miles which seems over estimated)
6/ I've added a row to compare how far $1 would go.

All in all the 2 cars have very similar yearly cost as you can see. Of course the MY is much bigger than the Corolla and much faster!
And it's not worth (to me at least) committing into the 10 years FPL Evolution program for $38 / month

My personal experience after 995 miles / 3.5 weeks of ownership
a/ I love the UX, this is the future of motor vehicle IMHO
b/ The ride is a bit firm (as most reviewers say), but I had a VW and a BMW before, it's on par to me
c/ I have 3 issues:
i/ The charging latch does not open anymore by pressing it (Service Alert CP_a051)
ii/ There is wind noise on the driver mirror above 70 mph
iii/ The passenger seat is rattling if upright (laid down, there is no rattling)
For i/ and ii/ I have made a Service Request through the Tesla App yesterday, and mobile service will be coming home tomorrow (iii/ was pushing the service 2 weeks, so I may skip this for now). I'm quite pleased / surprised because the closest Tesla service center is 1h15 min drive. We shall see how it goes...
d/ I have purchased a $39 CCS Combo to NACS adapter (250kW rated) on Amazon (vs $250 on the Tesla website), just to expand the charging options while on the road and I tried it with:
i/ FPL Evolution DC Fast Charger which is rated 360 kW, I only managed to get 66kW max (from 70% to 90% with battery preconditioning)
ii/ Electrify America DC Fast Charger which is rated 350 kW, I only managed to get 70kW max (from 70% to 90% with battery preconditioning). After speaking with an ID.4 owner who was charging at the same time, he told me this location sometimes provides 60kW, sometimes > 120kW
BTW, I SuperCharged twice before getting the Tesla Wall Connector home, and charging was > 100kW as expected.

I will be going above with 'Initial Expenses'
Wall Connector$300.00
Install$495.00
CCS to NACS$40.00
Invisible Mask (Front Bumper)$350.00
Invisible Mask Re-Do (Front Bumper)$168.00
Install + Mirrors (Xpel)$250.00
Xpel (Hood + Fenders)$700.00
Windshield Sun Shade$35.00
Roof Sun Shade$40.00
Spigen Screen protector$40.00
Spigen Center Console Organizer Tray$21.00
Paint Touch Up Kit$60.00
Spare wheel + tire$445.00
Tesla Pucks (lift points 4x)$20.00
Total$2,964.00

I messed up with the Invisible Mask; it's extremely difficult to install. I had to re-purchase it and had it installed by a professional; I will have him add XPel PPF on the Hood + Fenders soon.

That's it!

In my first 6 months of EV ownership, I’ve actually saved $340, or $680/yr, gasoline vs EV charging at home. Our marginal rates for electricity are 7.29 winter/7.67 summer ¢/kWh :) I would not own an EV if I couldn’t (mostly) charge at home.

@Midpack 0.729 c / kWh is great and $680 / yr energy saving is great! But I think it's not providing the full picture. That's why I did an Excel spreadsheet with parameters I think are important (or at least relevant to me):
- ICE mpg
- Gas $ in your area
- Miles driven per year
- Insurance cost
- EV tire replacement cost
- Electricity cost (@ home if you 100% plan to charge at home)
- EV efficiency (miles per kWh)
- ICE maintenance costs
Plus EV initial costs (Wall Connector, etc...) which I model separately, but some people may want to include this as well in the spreadsheet as a yearly cost / amortized over X years.

@RetMD21 It is to me since this was my previous car; the car I traded with Tesla for the MY. You will find my reasoning here if you are interested.

^^ I wasn’t trying to provide a “full cost”, just preliminary “fuel” so far. I did factor in some of what you’ve listed, gas prices, miles, previous hybrid MPG, etc. A comprehensive comparison after 6 months would be pointless in terms of maintenance, depreciation and other costs.

SurfFL, I guess if it amuses you, go for it. A new model Y is obviously going to cost you more than a used economy car. Are you accounting for energy loss inherent in the wall charger? At your current kWh/100 miles I think your tires will last longer than projected :)

Fantastic! I thought I'd share my (1st) Tesla Service Request experience (via the App)
1/ Request made on Sunday. Service executed on Tuesday
2/ Technician showed up on time (1h30 drive to home from the 2nd to home closest Tesla Service Center)
3/ Technician replaced / fixed the charging door latch
4/ Technician fixed the driver's mirror buzzing noise > 70 mph
5/ Technician fixed the passenger's seat rambling noise
All this in 1h30!
I'm impressed!
As exposed above 5/ was not put on the Service Request, but just mentioned to him if he could look at it while here / if he had time since I'm a bit far from a Tesla Service Center.

I also sneaked into the Technician going to the car service menus; this is really a 'computer on wheels': every 'powered function' has some probes connected to it and some software associated to it, GUI of systems, functions and issues, links to Technician Service Manual for troubleshooting, Logs, etc... Whether one wants to admit it or not, this is the future of motor vehicles!

I remember waiting 4hrs hours at Toyota for my car to be ready - being 'assaulted' by some Sales Rep wanted to sell me a new car - the Service Advisor telling me you should replace this / flush that; this is 'manufacturer recommended maintenance' (all this for $1000 over the course of 3 scheduled maintenance visits over 1 year / 15k miles for a car under warranty).

Peace

When my wheel arch garnish needed to be replaced due to scrape with a trailer, Tesla sent a guy.

$100 for the part. $12 to snap it on. $65 or so to rotate my tires while he was there.

Very nice guy. Before covid he was a master level mechanic at Lincoln. He got laid off and after a year got a job with Tesla. He said he likes driving around in a model S even if it is only easy stuff.

He also explained a lot and looked at three other things I thought might be a problem.

We’ve had to drive to Brownsville for our Model X service. The fixes required were a bit more advanced. 65 minutes so not bad at all. Excellent service and so far everything covered except for one tire rotation and 2 state inspections.

We’ve had to drive to Brownsville for our Model X service. The fixes required were a bit more advanced. 65 minutes so not bad at all. Excellent service and so far everything covered except for one tire rotation and 2 state inspections.
What do they inspect? When I lived in NY the inspections were mostly emissions system, which an EV doesn’t have.

I've had a Tesla 2024 Model S for a little over a month. It's the best car I've ever had - ride is smooth and quiet while changing speeds is something you have to experience to appreciate. Probably because of the low center of gravity, it drives like it's on rails. Any trip below 300 miles has zero range issues.

With the hot recent weather I've really liked the ability to tell the car to get cool with the iphone app. I'm surprised doing that takes almost no range off the car.

I was a big Apple Carplay user, but I found the native Tesla audio sections to be easier to use and tailored to my likes. The apple podcast app works well. I miss WAZE a little, but the Tesla nav system is easier to use and I like the sat view.

Having a home charger is a deal maker to me. I've probably still choose ICE without one.

Having a home charger is a deal maker to me. I've probably still choose ICE without one.
+1. From what I have read, most EV owners would agree. I wouldn't own an EV if I couldn't charge at home, but the supercharger network is more than adequate for longer road trips for me - just requires a little more pre-planning than an ICE trip.

Buddy of mine has an Ioniq5 he bought over a year ago that he charged at home with Level 2, and free charging for 2 years with EV America. He recently separated from his wife, and only has Level 1 charging at his apartment. Now he's charging at EV America only, and he plans to trade in the Ioniq for a hybrid when his 2 years free expires - if not before.

What do they inspect? When I lived in NY the inspections were mostly emissions system, which an EV doesn’t have.
Brakes, lights, horn, parking brake, mostly. Only a few counties have emissions testing.

This is the last year in TX for vehicle inspections except for emissions testing in counties that require it.

I just got a Kia EV6 long range AWD 2 weeks ago. It is my first EV, I still have the 2014 Nissan Maxima, but I have been driving the EV6 last couple weeks.

I installed the 240v ChargePoint Home Flex charger, the app told me that last couple weeks cost me around $11 for 450 miles distance (I think we have very good off peak electricity rate in Washington) - At this rate we will save around ~$150/months. Yes, charging from home is a 'must have thing' for EV owner.

Kia gave us a free 3 years or 1000 kwh charging (which ever comes fisrt) Electrify America. I tried it at the near by Walmart, it had 4 stations (all 350kW), and it charged the EV6 from 20% to 80% in 18 minutes, little surprise there but happy anyway :) . That said I now just charge from home for the convenience, however, I needs to plan some trips before the free EA is expired.

Driving EV "correctly" is different, however, my wife prefers no-regen, so it acts just like normal ICE car just quieter and faster. For me, I like max-regen one pedal driving. It is a joy to drive the EV6, I am now frequently asking my wife if she needs anything from the store (knowing it does not cost much to drive). I don't think I will go back to ICE again, the Maxima will go to my daughter or grandson :)

Back
Top Bottom