Electric Vehicles - Models Discussion

I've found out now I need to schedule our Costco trips because we run out of things - before I'd use their gas pumps and get our Costco fix as a sideline.
I’ve saved so much money by not going to gas/convenience stores :)

My daughter and grandson live 35 miles from us (one way) we tend to visit them at least one per week - some week we do 2 or three trips. With the Maxima premium gasoline it really hurts our pocket. Now I call her " DD, do you need me to come to your place?" :)

Won’t be of interest to everyone, but an excellent discussion on the evolution and future for EVs. Farley is one who seems to “get it” - a more balanced view than Elon, though he credits Elon for his vision.

My daughter and grandson live 35 miles from us (one way) we tend to visit them at least one per week - some week we do 2 or three trips. With the Maxima premium gasoline it really hurts our pocket. Now I call her " DD, do you need me to come to your place?" :)
Have you considered getting a more economical vehicle such as a used Prius. Or find another way to save the money. As one who has to get on an airplane to see his kids and grands, I would gladly trade places with you.

I like the periodic updates from Tesla. It is easier to adjust the wiper speed with the scroll wheel. Adaptive headlights sound good but I haven't driven enough at night to appreciate a difference. IDK how software update makes the cabin cool faster but it seems like a good thing.

I like the periodic updates from Tesla. It is easier to adjust the wiper speed with the scroll wheel. Adaptive headlights sound good but I haven't driven enough at night to appreciate a difference. IDK how software update makes the cabin cool faster but it seems like a good thing.
+1. The car just gets better over time at no added cost, not something you can say about most legacy auto - ever.

The Ford interview was interesting.

Especially the part when he said they hired an engineer who worked at Tesla on Y and 3 and they have a skunk works project.

Also interesting that he said they plan to assemble in pieces like the Tesla "unboxed process" and that they will be using large single piece castings.

He also said that they feel automated driving only on highways is a better product than a fully automated car.

He gave a two to five year lead time for the stuff he was talking about. Also said that Ford dominates the commercial market so would not completely overlap with Tesla.

Sounded like Ford may have a good shot at second place. I was impressed by the guy.

I gave some friends a flawless FSD demo ride to and from a concert. But coming home after dropping them off on dark winding country roads with lots of trees I got "FSD may be degraded". It was ok on the larger roads with lane markings. This was the first time I drove FSD at night. I usually stay home after dark.

I am very impressed with 12.3.6 and am using it almost all the time. I even felt a bit of anxiety when I had to drive my Acura TSX to the store.

If you drive a Tesla (with the cameras) on a dark forested road, the car begins be confused by no data coming from the side views - so it warns of degradation or even side camera may be blocked.

If you drive a Tesla (with the cameras) on a dark forested road, the car begins be confused by no data coming from the side views - so it warns of degradation or even side camera may be blocked.
I only have 4 months experience with FSD, and only 1 month with V12. And the latter was astonishingly good with very few necessary interventions. But I noticed the “degraded” warning several times at night or in rain, especially on poorly marked roads. Obviously that’s not going to work with robotaxis, where there can be no “degraded” situations, or we’ll have cars parked all over the place waiting for better visibility.

Have you considered getting a more economical vehicle such as a used Prius. Or find another way to save the money. As one who has to get on an airplane to see his kids and grands, I would gladly trade places with you.
The Prius is a little low for my wife to to get in and out without any difficulty - knees issues. At one point, I had considered the Toyota Venza (hybrid, Toyota claims 39MPG, it is really not bad for the size of car), but in the end I decided to go full electric and the Kia EV6 fits the bill, it is about the same price range with the Venza with the recent Kia rebates.

Yes, I know how fortunate for us to be able to visit our kids and and grand kid.

Elon just said that the delay in releasing 12.4 is that while interventions improved a lot, the driving smoothness degraded. They trained too much on interventions and not enough on normal driving.

He also said that the future models will have so many parameters that it will be challenging to run them with out upgrading the inference computers in the car. Roh. Roh.

Source: Invest Answers post. I did not see this myself on X or youtube.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom