Florida travel question

iloveyoga

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi, I am working on a girls trip for January 2025. We have direct flights to Sarasota and also to Fort Lauderdale, so I am looking at places to rent in those areas. We want to be on the beach or very close. We want to be able to relax, look a the scenery and walk along the beach. Would one area or the other be better at this time of year? I know Fort Lauderdale is a bigger city, I have been there years ago and also to Sarasota more recently. We will also want to eat and shop a bit. Thanks for any input and opinions!

East Shore Resort is a bit farther (from Sarasota airport ) located in Clearwater Beach. They have a couple of studios, eight 1-bedroom, and one 2-bedroom. We stayed in a studio. It was very clean which is most important to us. The pool is heated and the water is clean! Washer and dryer are free for guests and they even provide detergent. Free parking too but we didn’t get a rental car.
The location is about two blocks from the beach, which was very crowded when we were there. We ended up taking the trolley farther north to get away from the main crowd.
To find more seclusion, we walked on the beach to Caladesi Island State Park, about a little over 2 mile one way. There’s hardly anyone there the closer you get to the park. You can cut down the distance by using the trolley or ride share.
East Shore provides beach chairs and umbrellas to take to the beach. Also a nice touch is the self-serve free beer on tap! Why not!
Many restaurants close by but mostly have similar items and prices. I tried several to find the best grouper sandwich. We went in late May. The ocean water was near 90 degrees not refreshing but there’s no hesitation getting in compared to the 50ish degree waters here in Santa Cruz and Monterey Bay.

I would avoid The Ocean Club in Fort Lauderdale. It's at the north part of the beach on the Galt Mile.. It's right on the beach but generally full of kids partying. There's a lot of good hotels on the beach a bit more south and near the main "strip" and near Las Olas Blvd.

January in Florida is not always warm, we used to rent in Bonita Springs (near Naples)and I remember days when I was wearing a coat. So I recommend going as far south as practical.
It is almost always warmer than Iowa! And no snow! We will bring our coats if needed.

Back
Top Bottom