Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is "COFSDASH"?

Costco Old Folks Social Distancing And Shopping Hour. Pronounced Coughs-Dash.

I have a trademark application pending ("I survived the COVID-19 COFSDASH of 2020" t-shirts on the way), so it can only be used with my approval. :D

Costco Old Folks Social Distancing And Shopping Hour. Pronounced Coughs-Dash.

I have a trademark application pending ("I survived the COVID-19 COFSDASH of 2020" t-shirts on the way), so it can only be used with my approval. :D

:LOL::LOL:

I did get milk delivered by Wal Mart that was dated the next day and I just went in and asked for refund on the app, no problem. I would never buy milk with that date if shopping.

The local Kroger affiliate now lets me schedule next day deliveries. It used to be tough to get a delivery date even three days out. Obviously, things have improved and/or the service is not being used as much. That does not mean I get everything 100% as ordered, but I get most of want I want and need.

As we have done in the past, DW bought groceries online from distant Walmart for our trip out west later this week. We will purchase our protein entrees and booze in person at other retailers. Wohoo!

The local Kroger affiliate now lets me schedule next day deliveries. It used to be tough to get a delivery date even three days out. Obviously, things have improved and/or the service is not being used as much. That does not mean I get everything 100% as ordered, but I get most of want I want and need.
We are finding the same thing and they still have free pickup service.

Seems like some grocers are trying to ease the pain.
Yesterday I bought a package of 15 big, beautiful chicken leg quarters for $3.00 at my local Kroger.

Tried to go out for a beer at a sidewalk cafe. Restart the local economy, do a good deed, etc. Turned into a big hassle. Waiter said it would be a 15 minute wait to just get a beer. What? I left. Maybe it was my covid19 haircut, lol.

Eastern Pa beef update. Hamburger 85/15 $3.88 a pound. Chuck steak $9.60 a pound. Plenty of supply.

Still no rubbing alcohol or Lysol Power & Free (I swear they've stopped making that).

Rubbing alcohol and disinfectant wipes are the last remaining "unobtanium" items around these parts. I have not seen a single bottle/container of either since mid-March, nearly three whole months ago. I've checked at multiple stores and at different times of the day/week. I still have some 70% and 91% isopropyl left, but getting low and will need to restock fairly soon. Disinfectant wipes, OTOH, are merely a nice-to-have, since a diluted bleach spray and paper towels work just as well.

Rubbing alcohol and disinfectant wipes are the last remaining "unobtanium" items around these parts. I have not seen a single bottle/container of either since mid-March, nearly three whole months ago. I've checked at multiple stores and at different times of the day/week. I still have some 70% and 91% isopropyl left, but getting low and will need to restock fairly soon. Disinfectant wipes, OTOH, are merely a nice-to-have, since a diluted bleach spray and paper towels work just as well.

I added a couple of bottles of 70% alcohol to my Walmart order about a month ago and they continue to have it in stock. They also had a few bottles of Lysol
Power and Free last week and this week.

The other day we were able to get 2 packets of 9 wipes. They were $1.99 for each packet which is not much but higher per wipe. We decided to get them to keep a packet in each car in case they are needed while out.

The idea of bleach is fine except I can't find that either. We were, however, able to get a disinfectant spray awhile ago and we use that for paper towels when our limited wipes aren't really much more convenient. But, it is annoying that if we want to look for wipes or sprays or bleach you always must go into the store and can't even try for those things by pickup.

I have found since I use instacart I really plot my grocery list . This has enabled me to cut down on waste so my grocery bill has stayed low even with the tip and delivery charge .

.........The idea of bleach is fine except I can't find that either. We were, however, able to get a disinfectant spray awhile ago and we use that for paper towels when our limited wipes aren't really much more convenient. But, it is annoying that if we want to look for wipes or sprays or bleach you always must go into the store and can't even try for those things by pickup.
Really? Is someone in Tarrant county drinking it all up? Bleach has been available, nobody snatching it up for a long time over here! Can even see it on end-cap displays. Plenty of it. Seems to draw no interest. Maybe the pick up people don't know what bleach is, or think it is some terrible toxic chemical that will do them in? If for some reason the stores you go to don't have bleach at all, try Walmart over in the pool supply aisle and look for a jug of pool sanitizer, the ingredient is Sodium Hydroxide. It may be one percentage point or so stronger than laundry bleach, but that's a nit, not worth adjusting for.

About wipes... about a week ago I saw ONE yellow plastic bottle/can of wipes in the OTC area where they have pumper soaps (everyone it seems grabs anything that is a pumper, even if it is ordinary liquid soap!). I was surprised to see it, and expected that it would be gone in a moment. I picked it up, it was a name brand. I looked at the active ingredient - Benzalkonium Chloride - which is fine for killing bacteria, but NOT Covid-19! So I put it back on the shelf and went on.

My local Costco has had quart size refill bottles of sanitizer off and on for several weeks.

For the first time in months I entered my local Kroger owned store. Several items were not available in my last pickup order and, as I suspected they were in stock. I attribute this to new staff who don't know what things like Peperoncini are. The store did have some hand sanitizer in small containers available. I bought one for my car. Surprisingly the supply of paper towels, TP and facial tissues was pathetic. It could easily have been cleaned out by a dozen shoppers purchasing normal amounts. However, the store is preparing for a remodel which means they move things around all over the store as they remodel each section. So, maybe, this store is an outlier.

My local Costco has had quart size refill bottles of sanitizer off and on for several weeks.

For the first time in months I entered my local Kroger owned store. Several items were not available in my last pickup order and, as I suspected they were in stock. I attribute this to new staff who don't know what things like Peperoncini are. The store did have some hand sanitizer in small containers available. I bought one for my car. Surprisingly the supply of paper towels, TP and facial tissues was pathetic. It could easily have been cleaned out by a dozen shoppers purchasing normal amounts. However, the store is preparing for a remodel which means they move things around all over the store as they remodel each section. So, maybe, this store is an outlier.

ha ha ha ha.... I don't even know what Peperoncini is :LOL::LOL:

I looked it up, turns out I've eaten them often, but didn't know the name :facepalm:

For the first time in months I entered my local Kroger owned store. Several items were not available in my last pickup order and, as I suspected they were in stock. I attribute this to new staff who don't know what things like Peperonciniare. The store did have some hand sanitizer in small containers available. I bought one for my car. Surprisingly the supply of paper towels, TP and facial tissues was pathetic. It could easily have been cleaned out by a dozen shoppers purchasing normal amounts. However, the store is preparing for a remodel which means they move things around all over the store as they remodel each section. So, maybe, this store is an outlier.
Actually I would attribute it to the Instacarte shoppers being in a hurry. More orders filled = more tips

Just wondering-- why haven't you gone shopping yourself?

Last edited:
DW went to Costco last Friday morning and said that everything seemed stocked to her, including the 30 roll Charmin TP and beef. A friend wrote that she and her husband went on the weekend and the TP was almost empty and much of the better cuts of beef were out. Timing is everything.

... ... I attribute this to new staff who don't know what things like Peperoncini are. ... ...

This made me smile. Years and years ago, in Italy, we decided on pizza for lunch. Neither of us speaking the language, we decided that peperoncini was Italian for pepperoni and ordered one :LOL:. It was very tasty.

Went to Costco on Monday - everything looked pretty much back to normal, except for the sign out front (no alcohol, Lysol spray, or disinfecting wipes) and in the meat department (prices have gone up because they are paying more). Not very crowded and all but one person wearing their (required) mask.

Went to HEB Wednesday. Hand sanitizer everywhere, but none of my regular hand soap or disinfecting wipes (didn't look for isopropyl alcohol). Everything else looked to be normally stocked including paper goods and yeast. Less than 10 unmasked people - more than in previous weeks but still a definite minority.

Actually I would attribute it to the Instacarte shoppers being in a hurry. More orders filled = more tips

Just wondering-- why haven't you gone shopping yourself?

I did pickup not delivery so the order was filled, I would assume, by store staff.

I have not shopped at that particular store for over a month because on my previous visit I noticed many customers and most staff not wearing a mask. Note: I have continued to shop at Costco which requires masks. Since masks are worn to protect others (for the most part) why would I enter a business that cares so little about my health? However, on my last pickup I noticed that mask wearing was way up both by employees and customers. Based upon our current understanding of masks that is a good sign. Who knows what changes tomorrow may bring?

Did a big curb side pick up at a local butcher, order was ready within 30 minutes!
Went to local family farm yesterday to fresh berries, jellies, some veggies. Both places had 100% compliance for masks. Nice.
Food spending is up due to specialty shopping, but I can find what I want and helping local business.
Went to local Safeway to pick up a few books since library is still closed. About 50%+ customers were wearing masks, saw plenty of hand sanitizer in barrels. didn't wander down any other aisles to check out other supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom