Making alkaline water

Yeah, I was thinking of it as a "neutralizing" agent for the stomach acid. My thought was that it would take a lot of alkaline water to do that. Instead, I guess the theory is that the alkaline water deactivates pepsin which is a real culprit in damaging esophageal tissues. Also, there is (apparently) evidence that stomach contents can go further than the lower esophagus - even into the larynx, nasal passages and inner ear. See attached article. Apparently, the stomach contents (including pepsin) can be aerosolized! Who knew?

At least now I know why DW's doc prescribed PPI's for her night caughing.

No idea if the alkaline water actually IS effective, but it now makes more sense. Clearly, YMMV

Interesting. This article says that the main form of pepsin (3B) is inactive above pH 6.5 anyway (pH below that of normal saliva). The article referenced earlier by ERD50 is a lab ('test tube') study of questionable relevance since the stomach is continually producing acid -which comes up in the throat of those with reflux.

The Ray Kurzweil article referenced earlier is full of errors and debunked medical theories. He states "By drinking high negative ORP alkaline water you combat metbolic acidosis...". This is without basis in medical or chemical fact. Alkaline water has no specific effect even on increasing stomach pH, let alone the whole body. Studies show low dose antacids with FAR more buffering capacity than alkaline water increase stomch pH only temporarily until the stomach's continuous acid production quickly reacidifies it. And his statements appear to completely discount the kidneys' action in tightly regulating body pH. He further states that "The negative ions in alkaline water from an electrolysis machine are a rich source of electrons that can be donated to these free radicals in the body, neutralizing them and stopping them from damaging healthy tissues." This notion that increased intake of free radical scavenging chemicals (ORP as he says in alkaline water) is of benefit in treating or decreasing risk of cancer or heart disease risk sounds attractive but has not proven true. Large scale human studies have found no such benefit....and even a suggestion of an INcreased risk of certain cancers (like prostate in the SELECT study with long term Vit E supplemention).
Brilliant men are NOT always right about everything. Reminds me a bit of Nobel-laurate Linus Pauling and his "Vitamin C cures cancer" fallacy from the '70's.

FWIW- Alkaline water studies in humans go back at least 60 years with consistently conflicting results (potential benefit not sceintifically reproducible). IMHO- another rehash of an old fad.

Have you tried slippery elm instead of the PPIs? I'm trying that and magnesium glycinate. Followed Barbara O'Neill on YouTube to get that info.
Thank you. Never heard of slippery elm before. I shall give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom