What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

At least half the people are retired that live here. This is not the first time this has happened. 3 of us are good friends and decided that we will text each other when we get up so there’s daily contact.

We all have pets and don’t want them to suffer. We all have keypads on our doors and know the code. None of us talk to our kids daily or anyone on a daily basis. We figured this is an easy way to keep this from happening to us.
My MIL, since passed, and her boyfriend did this every morning. Thank god, as that's how it was discovered that she had had a stroke as she was talking gibberish. She recovered fully as they were able to get her to the hospital on time. DH and I talked to her every evening.

Used an angle grinder with a special blade on it to remove the deteriorating cement between the bricks on the front porch and refilled it with some stuff from a tube made by Quikrete that looks just like cement but isn't. We'll see how long this lasts, if it starts to crumble or something it's not a big project to remove it and put in real cement.

At least half the people are retired that live here. This is not the first time this has happened. 3 of us are good friends and decided that we will text each other when we get up so there’s daily contact.
A nice feature I've seen at some of the CCRCs I've looked at is a button in your residence that you have to push every day before noon. If you don't, you'll be called on the phone and if no answer the security folks will do a wellness checkup in person.
Of course, if you're traveling you can turn this system off, but I think it's a great idea.

I got "Huck Finned" for a good part of the day, after we stood the king log and set the beam in the mortise.
The mortise came out perfectly on grade.
PXL_20240626_200221368.jpg

I built the 2x8 bearing wall that goes beyond the king log to the back wall by myself, and we stood it up and fitted the little glue lam there.
PXL_20240627_025251301.jpg

My friend enjoying his view.
PXL_20240627_024612508.jpg

It’s summer! I’m doing a lot of biking and watching baseball. I had a heat wave week, too, but hate staying cooped up in the AC house all day, so I went riding in the early morning — an achievement for me since I’m a night owl, but I found it very nice. It led up to my Bike MS charity bike ride, 152 miles last weekend.

Very interesting!!! Thanks skyking.
I got "Huck Finned" for a good part of the day, after we stood the king log and set the beam in the mortise.
The mortise came out perfectly on grade.
View attachment 51444

I built the 2x8 bearing wall that goes beyond the king log to the back wall by myself, and we stood it up and fitted the little glue lam there.
View attachment 51445

My friend enjoying his view.
View attachment 51446
Awesome build! That King Pin Center support is a beauty of a stick of wood.
I'm hoping in the next two weeks I get that old house demolished. The guy will dig a hole and push it in and bury. I than will try to get a small structure build on this same spot.

I'm looking forward to the project and really enjoy your posts.

Went last night to see the musical "Funny Girl" at the Maine State Music Theater in Brunswick. It was really well done.

Last edited:

I'm hoping in the next two weeks I get that old house demolished. The guy will dig a hole and push it in and bury. I than will try to get a small structure build on this same spot.

Do not build over the fill with the house demo in it. bury it to one side of you must. I prefer never burying anything that could come back to haunt me.

Do not build over the fill with the house demo in it. bury it to one side of you must. I prefer never burying anything that could come back to haunt me.
My buddy's FIL owned a farm that had an old coal mine on it. The shaft area was left uncovered when the mine ceased operations maybe 80 years ago. Buddy's FIL dumped old machinery, grain bins, garbage, and old buildings into the hole over the course of 60+ years. I saw him push his tornado ravaged house into the hole about 10 years ago.

I hope nobody ever wants to build anything over that.

Played around in Photoshop, following along in a book about the software. Between various aches and pains, the frustration of running it on an old too-slow computer, and just being occupied with other stuff I'd let my photography and Photoshop skills atrophy, to the point that I rarely even opened the program, just using Lightroom. It was disappointing to realize how much I had forgotten about using it. Time to fix that. At least this time it's a lot easier to do since most of it I've done before, just not recently.

They had some variation on the top plate due to a near blowout of the ICF forms, and we had to use 1/2" OSB rips for shims almost everywhere. I had to custom shave them down to a 1/4" or less at the end, using a planer.
I was ground guy feeding everything, all the rim boards and floor joists for the first floor. We got all the shimming and first rim boards on, and about half the joists. I am beat.
PXL_20240628_173210570.jpg

PXL_20240629_005448034.jpg

Glu lam secured by 1/2" x 12" lag bolts.

PXL_20240628_021025650.jpg
joists.jpg

Last edited:
I hope your cabin friend is going to do as much labor on your new house as you are doing on his house. I can see why you're beat!

Back
Top Bottom