New Variant Vaccine

That doesn't sound good! I prefer pharmacies around here to give any shots needed. The pharmacist is the person who gives the shots, and the different locations I have gone to, some in the same chain, some not, have all been excellent.

At PCP's, not so much, not sure what their qualifications are, some I would question any real medical training. At one I quickly decided NOT to get a shot, as the person was really dithery, seemed just existing was drawing on all her brainpower, and she was the "nurse". And she tried over and over to log into the PC in the room, and this was a real small practice. I wondered by her actions when I was there about dementia. Never know in advance WHO is going to do the jabbing! So it's pharmacies for me, but of course, conditions are local!

When we went to our local pharmacy recently, they had an LPN there to give the new booster shots (at least, that's what her name tag said). Other times in the past, it has been the pharmacist. I could not detect any difference in the technique.

DW and I got our flu shots yesterday, no after effects at all, not even sore arms.

DW & I got our new bivalent boosters this week. No side effects whatsoever. Not even much of a sore arm. It was the easiest one yet. We both had previous boosters as well as Covid about 10 weeks ago. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it.

We (DW, myself, DMIL) all went to the local CVS yesterday for the bivalent booster. We got the Moderna version. I like CVS' online registration and scheduling system. We got the last regular booster there as well.
I scheduled the 3 of us as a group. We were in and out in 10 minutes.

I also got a flu shot at the same time. They both already had the flu shot. No side effects so far, not even the usual arm soreness.

Got the Pfizer booster two sundays ago, so starting to feel well protected. :) Second to last day the free walk up clinic at the city government building was running, no more funding. :(

We finally got our Covid Bivalent vaccines today at Costco. They were quite busy, I think many folks were getting their flu shots. The pharmacist said there was a great deal of demand for the bivalent vaccine.

They had to start new CDC cards for us!

We had waited until we got back from a long road trip.

We got our 5th shot today. I forgot to ask if it was Pfizer or Moderna.

We just came back from Europe after a month-long trip. No COVID infection, although nobody wore masks there.

Shortly before our trip, my brother's family went to Europe and came back with COVID for 2 out of 4 family members. They were vaccinated and the infection effect was very mild, more like a cold as they told me.

This doctor argues that the most vulnerable time is not the first week or two following infection or even necessarily long covid.

It's the 12 weeks following infection, when you have elevated risks of things like pulmonary embolism, heart attack and stroke, though those very high risk factors decline pretty quickly, if you make it through.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...ium-term-post-infection-complications/671684/

That is interesting. I got my flu shot at my physical and asked doc if booster timing mattered (last one was May) and they said just get it by end of year. I will probably do it this month but was kind of waiting to see what else physical showed. Still waiting there as I have to log on to a web portal and look for comments and labs.

We both felt lousy last night after getting the shots. Not just the 5th COVID shot on one arm, but also a flu shot and a pneumonia shot on the other arm. The COVID arm was OK, but the other arm hurt.

My wife felt bad enough to go to bed early, skipping dinner. I ate just a bit, then succumbed in bed too. Woke up in the middle of the night with a mild headache, so got a Tylenol for my wife, and an ibuprofen for myself.

Doing better today. Never had a reaction like this with COVID or flu shot. It's our first time with pneumonia shot, so wonder if it was the culprit.

I’ve had the same reaction with Moderna Covid shots - slight headache during the night and next morning, and lousy most of the day after. Finally getting past it now.

I had the bivalent booster along with the flu shot last week. DW had the same, plus her 2nd Shingles shot at the same time. the pharmacist was cautioning her about getting all 3 together, although not prohibiting it. Seems she was concerned about increased discomfort and possible higher intensity of side effects. Neither one of us had any real side effects. No headaches, no fever, no sleepiness. There was just a bit of tenderness at the injection sites, but that's it.

DW and I are scheduled for the Moderna bivalent booster on Tuesday. Is this shot a one time shot or a two timer like in the past?

DW and I are scheduled for the Moderna bivalent booster on Tuesday. Is this shot a one time shot or a two timer like in the past?

One.
Originally the vaccination was 2 shots. Then it was found a booster (3rd shot) was needed.
Now a 4th shot, aka booster is needed.

I've had 4 shots so far, got my 4th before the bivalent was out, so I'm in line for a 5th shot.

One.
Originally the vaccination was 2 shots. Then it was found a booster (3rd shot) was needed.
Now a 4th shot, aka booster is needed.

I've had 4 shots so far, got my 4th before the bivalent was out, so I'm in line for a 5th shot.
This will be our fifth shot. Two in spring of 2021 and two in spring of 2022. Hopefully just one at a time from now on.

This will be our fifth shot. Two in spring of 2021 and two in spring of 2022. Hopefully just one at a time from now on.
Yup, one at time now. Should wait at least 3 to 6 months between shots going forward (regardless if your eligible), as folks tend to be on slightly different schedules now.

We waited 2 weeks after getting the bivalent shot, to get our flu shots. We got our flu shots yesterday and had no reactions at all. DH said he did not feel his shot and hoped that she gave it to him. I felt it slightly, but no sore arm.

Got my 5th shot yesterday and arm pain is the worst of the lot. Otherwise no issues.

Got my shot about 21 hours ago, Moderna bivalent.

Injection site soreness started about 6 hours after and was very sore this morning.

Often sleep on that side.

Still very tight but no other symptoms or grogginess.

Got my 5th Covid shot. Arm pain is somewhat less.
Day after effects were more mild than the previous four shots. Instead of feeling like I was run over by a truck, I felt like I was knocked down by a kid on a skateboard.

Last edited:
Those who are resuming travel after getting the latest bivalent should remember to take standard precautions, like hand-washing, avoiding large gathering without a dreaded mask, etc. My neighbor and his DW just returned from a river cruise in Europe. Both tested positive and had flu-like symptoms for a week. They got the Moderna bivalent last month when it first became available. They are in their mid-70s and I imagine their symptoms would have been worse if not boosted with the latest magic juice.

Did anybody get to pick which vax? I have an appt tomorrow for my shot, but I won't know what they have until I get there...

Those who are resuming travel after getting the latest bivalent should remember to take standard precautions, like hand-washing, avoiding large gathering without a dreaded mask, etc. My neighbor and his DW just returned from a river cruise in Europe. Both tested positive and had flu-like symptoms for a week. They got the Moderna bivalent last month when it first became available. They are in their mid-70s and I imagine their symptoms would have been worse if not boosted with the latest magic juice.

Well, that seems to answer my main question about the latest vaccine.

Did anybody get to pick which vax? I have an appt tomorrow for my shot, but I won't know what they have until I get there...

Walgreens online shows the vaccine you pick at various locations. It defaulted me to the prior brand but I could have selected something different at another location. Since there are about a million drugstores within 5 miles I'd have had no issues if I was picky.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom