New Variant Vaccine

Those who are resuming travel after getting the latest bivalent should remember to take standard precautions, like hand-washing, avoiding large gathering without a dreaded mask, etc. My neighbor and his DW just returned from a river cruise in Europe. Both tested positive and had flu-like symptoms for a week. They got the Moderna bivalent last month when it first became available. They are in their mid-70s and I imagine their symptoms would have been worse if not boosted with the latest magic juice.

So it doesn't protect you from infection?

Of course not, never has and never will.

Got my bivalent pfizer booster yesterday. That is all they had and what I needed.
Only got sore arm.

Did anybody get to pick which vax? I have an appt tomorrow for my shot, but I won't know what they have until I get there...
Absolutely!

Once CVS got their website to give details on Bivalent in my area, can see which CVS has which Bivalent type. One type per store. They seem to have them alternated, Pfizer or Moderna, across the stores. I went with Moderna. I could have used a different CVS down the road and had Pfizer instead.

As to any effects, none, as usual for me. I got it in the morning, and slept on that arm at night (side sleeper, almost all hours of night on same side). Getting vaccinations or other shots is one thing this body does very very well. There are some other things, that it does not do too well...

Sitting here at the waiting room for 5 min after my bivalent shot. Got a Phizer.

Did anybody get to pick which vax? I have an appt tomorrow for my shot, but I won't know what they have until I get there...

They had both Pfizer and Moderna. (I live in Ontario, Canada and I had to call to make an appt as it hadn't been six months since my last booster (only five mo.) I got Pfizer. (Pfizer, Pfizer, Moderna, Moderna and now Pfizer again.)

I actually couldn't feel the needle going in. No blood on the bandaid and I don't see an injection mark on my arm... Is this normal??

Last edited:
I got mine (fifth shot) about 2 weeks ago. Flu in one arm and Pfizer covid bivalent in the other. The only aftereffects were slightly sore arms; the flu arm being marginally worse than the covid arm. No other symptoms.

We've still managed to avoid catching it. DB and SIL are probably the most careful people I know and they got it on a trip to visit their son, probably catching it at the hotel they say. There was a gathering at the son's home and the only folks who tested postive were the ones who stayed at that hotel. I wonder if it was the breakfast buffet? Who can tell.

I actually couldn't feel the needle going in. No blood on the bandaid and I don't see an injection mark on my arm... Is this normal??

I had my 2nd booster about 3 hours ago (Moderna). I didn't feel ANYTHING and was somewhat surprised. But now my arm is pretty sore and at the injection site I am having occasional "spasms"...it's not uncomfortable, just a little different and something I haven't experienced before.

The needle is quite thin and the amount is small. The Covid vaccines don’t hurt much. It’s the other ingredients and pH that causes injection pain. I found that Hepatitis B vaccines don’t hurt at all and don’t cause later pain.

Antibiotics on the other hand…

Thank you everyone for mentioning that my no pain no blood no injection mark experience isn't unusual. I felt my first four Covid shots (rather painful) so I was a bit surprised that the vibalent shot felt like nothing at all. Still no pain after 3.5 hours but I will see...

Last edited:
I think my sore arm from the bivalent hit about 6 hours after.

I get mine tomorrow, along with a flu shot. Hoping I can play pickle ball an hour later, but we'll see.

I think my sore arm from the bivalent hit about 6 hours after.

My arm is ever so slightly sore now after several hours. I am actually quite happy about it as I felt nothing and I had no mark on my arm or blood this time. I now know that the nurse wasn't just faking it - she actually gave me some kind of shot!! :dance:

why are people getting shingles shots when they are supposed to be covered by part d without deductible or copay after the first of january? Or am I incorrect about shingles vaccines being covered after the first?

why are people getting shingles shots when they are supposed to be covered by part d without deductible or copay after the first of january? Or am I incorrect about shingles vaccines being covered after the first?

You might get an answer with a new thread since this one is about the COVID vaccine. :)

I felt worse about 24 hours after my shot. No fever but was going to go for a walk and didn't feel like it. Arm was quite sore and joints were tender, like doing a brisk walk wouldn't be a good idea.

It was okay about 30-32 hours afterwards.

I felt worse about 24 hours after my shot. No fever but was going to go for a walk and didn't feel like it. Arm was quite sore and joints were tender, like doing a brisk walk wouldn't be a good idea.

It was okay about 30-32 hours afterwards.

I had a couple days of those symptoms after my first two shots, less after my booster. No symptoms six hours after this morning's poke. I'm hoping that fourth time and lower dosage is the charm.

I seem to be less affected by Pfizer. I was much sicker with Moderna boosters than the first two Pfizer or this Pfizer bivalent. This time, all I have is a slightly sore arm - It's been over 24 hours since the injection at this point.

So far I've only had the Pfizer shots. Aftereffects were mild soreness and in some of them mild fatigue, but nothing to complain about. Much better than having to be hospitalized and maybe dying.

Actually, it does, but the protection isn't that significant; the protection against hospitalization and death is much stronger, though.

Yep, I got COVID after my third shot (first booster)

It was...annoying, like a bad cold that sticks around a few extra days, but I never experienced any serious symptoms like shortness of breath.

Before the vaccines were available I was a prime candidate for "dying on a ventilator" simply given the extra weight I'm carrying.

Just got the latest booster (Pfizer for all my COVID shots, zero side effects) & influenza vaccine today.

Last edited:
Less than 15 million people have gotten the bivalent booster so far.

And the number has been declining ever since the primary series of 2 shots, with a lot of people stopping after the first shot.

The side effects hit me like a freight train last night about ten hours after the Pfizer booster and the flu shot. Both arms hurt, joint pain, fatigue and fever. Went to bed at 9 p.m. Woke up at 4 a.m., and the fever had broken. Felt much better. A strong cup of coffee, and I'm ready for the day. That kinda sucked but definitely better than dying or hospitalization.

Back
Top Bottom