Password

homestead

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Changed my login password. Let my browser create a long cryptic password and saved it. Works fine from my browser but not from my iphone app. Gives login error. Is there a limit on password length using the app?

Changed my login password. Let my browser create a long cryptic password and saved it. Works fine from my browser but not from my iphone app. Gives login error. Is there a limit on password length using the app?

What browser? Computer?

Probably is a limit on the length, so when you type in the long password for your app it chops it off.
Or you are typing it wrong.
Worse is what I found at a bank.
Login at the bank via direct webpage worked
Login at the bank via a standard payment site failed.

Turned out it was due to the length of the password. So the Bank had 2 different set of rules handling the password. :eek:

Safari browser, Macbook Pro laptop works.
Iphone app won't let me login
Not typing the password, letting the app put the password from the icloud, same password
as the browser uses.

Password is 20 chars long

Last edited:
Shortened my password to 14 chars and it now works in the app.

This is how I fixed the bank password issue. :facepalm:
Shortened it from 50 characters to around 25.
Oh, don't get me started on that! :mad: I had a bank accept my 30-character password, then say it was incorrect...and NOWHERE did it say there was a character limit! I finally figured it out by changing my password (which I had to keep doing by clicking "I forgot my password" even though I definitely knew it and was entering it correctly) to something really short, and it worked. So then, of course, I changed it to a longer and longer password, then logged out and tried to log in again, until it stopped working, at which point I wrote a scathing email to the bank...and then saved the email before sending, and rewrote it in a more professional tone a few days later. I think I kept the first draft, though. :D

Shortened my password to 14 chars and it now works in the app.

I would be really surprised if Apple's iCloud keychain had a 14-character limit. OTOH, I would be surprised if the ER app had a limit like that as well. Given the user base for each, I'm gonna blame the app, though...

I would be really surprised if Apple's iCloud keychain had a 14-character limit. OTOH, I would be surprised if the ER app had a limit like that as well. Given the user base for each, I'm gonna blame the app, though...

Yes, ICloud works for my long passwords, looks like there is an upper limit for the ER app somewhere between 14-20.

Doesn't everyone just use "123"?

This is happening to me as well.

I bought 1Password and have been resetting all my passwords to a random generated password that 1Password creates. It's set up to automatically save the new password on both my PC and my phone. So far I've only had one other website balk at the new password (out of about the 100 I've changed so far.)

[Windows 10 PC, using Chrome browser. Pixel 5a Android phone using TapaTalk app.]

Previously I had no problem accessing ER.org with either my computer or my phone. I took the advice in this thread and shortened my password to 12 characters. I verified it is the same password on my PC as it is on my phone. Nope, can't get onto ER.org on my phone.

Any ideas?

I've gone through the reset process two times now via the emails that ER.org sends describing the procedure for resetting passwords.

The problem persists.

Can log in and access on my PC, but not on my phone. The same password is being used on both devices. I am using the same email address for ER.org that I have always used. I have not changed any settings on the Tapatalk app on my phone.

Why would you want a long and complicated password for an internet forum site?

Why would you want a long and complicated password for an internet forum site?

Irrelevant.

The "long and complicated password" as you call it works on ER.org when I'm on my PC, but the same password doesn't work on ER.org when on my phone.

My old password that worked on both devices was 8 characters long and included numbers, alpha characters, and special characters. My current password is 12 characters long and includes numbers, alpha characters, and special characters.

Mods, are there any requirements for passwords? Any special requirements for passwords on mobile devices?

I ended up shorting my password to 13 characters and it fixed my problem. So it works now on both my computer and phone app with the same password.

I have yet to successfully log on the ER app using an iPhone 12. I try the same password as my iMac account but no joy. I don't surf the web much on my iphone so its not been a hardship.

It might be the app not handling the password.

I had the same problem at a bank that allows logging in 2 different ways from the same computer.
Slightly different issue, but could either be the app itself, or they use a different authorization pathway which has different rules.

Always annoying..

I ended up shorting my password to 13 characters and it fixed my problem. So it works now on both my computer and phone app with the same password.
This has happened to me with a few sites. There is always a limit. 1Password has been a fine solution for the family.

(On my PC.) One thing I've noticed is when you are on the "change password" screen and are going to change your password, ER.org asks for your current password and then has you enter your new password twice. It also asks for your email address but says entering it is optional. However, if I try to change my password and do not enter my email address it won't complete the password change. Leaving out your email is not optional, so I enter that twice as well.

OK, so now I've changed my password. Time to test it out. When I log out and attempt to log back in, ER.org is asking for my username and password. Note: It's not asking for my email address and password, it wants my username and password. So I enter my username, Qs Laptop and my password. Success, I'm logged in, works as usual on my PC.

Now if I go to my phone and go to ER.org using the TapaTalk app it looks like I'm logged in as I can get as far as seeing the ER.org listing of the various subforums--FIRE and Money, Life After FIRE, Health and Early Retirement, etc. but if I tap on a subforum to read the posts my phone hangs up and ER.org sends the email stating, "Failed Login Notification". I suspect my phone is attempting to login using my email address, not my username, and that is preventing me from getting logged on with my phone. I will experiment with the TapaTalk app login credentials for ER.org.

Problem solved. I deleted ER.org from my TapaTalk app and then added it back in again. The app prompted me, "Are you user Qs Laptop on early-retirement.org?" I tapped yes, and it asked me "Do you want to login?", I tapped yes and 1Password did the rest by filling in my credentials.

So to others that are having trouble with getting on ER.org with your phone, I'd look at deleting the app and then adding it back in again being sure to use the correct login credentials.

Back
Top Bottom