Bad service: What would you do?

I don't understand how a penny is no longer valid where you live. It is legal tender that is minted and backed by the Federal Government. If it was no longer valid currency why would pennies continue to be minted? If the state can determine what is a valid currency then couldn't they claim the same for any and all currency? I don't pretend to understand legal issues so I would like to be educated.
I recall when pennies were valuable to me as a child, so I guess I can't relate to folks who throw them away or ignore them. I can't find anything about them being no longer valid.

I recall when pennies were valuable to me as a child, so I guess I can't relate to folks who throw them away or ignore them. I can't find anything about them being no longer valid.
Pennies were essentially discontinued in Canada a number of years ago. I believe the Mint stopped making them in 2013. Retailers round up or down.

I have not seen one in years...but most of my transactions are tap and go. I very seldom use cash.

He w*rked at Dead Lobster as a cook for a while and finally got to become a waiter. This was during DL's heyday and they were always busy. He was a good looking 20 something, tall, skinny, blond, broad smile, gift of gab, etc. The tips just poured in for him. He loved it! The girls (and older ladies) just went ape over him. It helps to be attractive in case no one has noticed. ;)
I lasted two weeks bartending at "Dead Lobster" in the mid-90s. One of my friends got me a server position at a bar/steakhouse/music venue where the "bartenders" cooked the steaks in an open kitchen connected to the bar. The music was loud and the clientele was mostly blue collar folks. If I recall, I had Tue and Wed dinner shifts, would average $600/wk in tips and got to go home with a ribeye twice a week.

Another close friend at the time had spent years working his way up the food chain to get a Saturday night bartending shift in a local nightclub. Even after tipping out to multiple bar-backs, he was averaging over $800 in tips for a single night, which was enough to pay for rent and tuition for him at the time.

Trust me - it's always hard the first time to ask for a manager to talk to, but it gets easier!

If anyone with brains is working in the management, they will DEFINITELY want to hear your story. Feedback is important, and not enough people give it except when bad-mouthing.

One wants to give constructive criticism, and you were probably in a good position to offer that.

But yeah, late at night - sometimes all you want to do is pack it in and go to your room to sack out. Totally understandable.

I will say that I have been known to stop in to talk to a manager the next day, to relate a very bad or conversely, very good, experience, and give specifics.

Pennies were essentially discontinued in Canada a number of years ago. I believe the Mint stopped making them in 2013. Retailers round up or down.

I have not seen one in years...but most of my transactions are tap and go. I very seldom use cash.
Maybe I didn't catch that it was Canada. As far as I know, they are still not only valid but rarely rounded (where I use cash) in the USA. Obviously, YMMV.

Going out to eat is something I rarely do unless I'm traveling. However, when I do go out, I generally tip in the 20-25% range, or more for exceptionally good service.

Recently I stopped in to a sit-down burger place while traveling. It was barely after 11am, and I was please to be ahead of the lunch rush. A server came over right away, took my order, and brought me a glass of water. A few minutes later, I watched what looked like my burger go past my table and up to the bar, and then the lunch rush arrived. Soon the empty section I was sitting in was fully seated, and then people's food began arriving. The burger I thought had been mine was eventually brought back to the kitchen and was sitting under the heat lamps (open kitchen).

Eventually when the people next to me received their meals, I asked their server for assistance. They quickly got my server who asked me, "would you like anything else?" To which I replied, "My meal?" She then walked up, took the meal that had been floating around the restaurant for the past 45 minutes and brought it over. I commented immediately that the meal was cold and pointed out that the lettuce etc. had wilted from sitting under the lamp for the past 45 minutes. I was polite and said simply, "All I've had is water, let's just call it a miss." Her response was a very reasonable request to get the order right, to which I obliged, and a fresh (nearly correct) meal arrived quickly. She then stood at the table while I took a bite to make sure "this one's hot enough" and then handed me the check.

No apologies, no admission of a mistake, and so I left no tip. It was the first time I've left less than 20% in longer than I can remember. I eat a burger so rarely that it's not somewhere I ever need to go back to, but what would you do in this situation?
Long post, didn't read it all, but, if you're retired and he is working at $2.13/hr, leave him a good tip and think of it as a donation to help the waitor.

IIntakes each of us something different to choose the other path at the fork in the road.

I call this being invisible. I don't know why but it happens to us a lot. We even joke about it before we leave. I call the waiter back over and let them know that we are invisible and we are leaving. The manager inevitably comes over. I explain we have watched everyone else get served and our food never came. I offer to pay for the drinks but at that point the manager usually offers to comp. I never have them redo a meal. I found out they just put what they can from the sitting food back on the grill or fryer. They already know you are dissatisfied. You are really no longer a priority. Best to leave.

Long post, didn't read it all, but, if you're retired and he is working at $2.13/hr, leave him a good tip and think of it as a donation to help the waitor.

IIntakes each of us something different to choose the other path at the fork in the road.
Well, it was a "she" not a "he" and I'm confident she was earning over $2.13/hr.

Either way, being retired doesn't mean someone has to help every charity case.

Well, it was a "she" not a "he" and I'm confident she was earning over $2.13/hr.

Either way, being retired doesn't mean someone has to help every charity case.
$2.13/hr was my salary at LARGE NAME popular restaurant when I was in school. Pretty sure if it went up It's not much higher for waiters bc they get tips.

She, my apologies.

Sure, I was also paid around $2.50/hr as a server.... in the 90s.

Fast forward 30+ years to the next century, and servers around us make a minimum of $15/hr plus tips. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that I don't have to be charitable to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom