Breast cancer

W2R--
Sending prayers for a negative biopsy. Your very positive outlook on life is so refreshing.

I had a large lump removed many years ago, luckily it was negative, But the time waiting through mammography, biopsy, then surgical removal and final pathology was stressful.
Wishing you well.
My very best friend went through the same thing around the same time. Hers was positive, had radiation, chemo. And is still here on Earth, living her best life 25 years later!

My thoughts and prayers are with you. You are strong person and a positive thinker all will be fine.

My dear Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at 79, had two surgeries and radiation treatments. She beat it, and she died at 86 in her sleep. You can beat it, stay positive, surround yourself with friends.

Reactions: W2R
Wish you all the best W2R!

Sengsational says it well, “If today isn't so bad, then enjoy today.”

Take care!

We are all rooting for you W2R. You are one of the most beloved posters. You will beat it.
Plus you promised me/us that you would break the record for oldest woman on record.

Yes!

Wishing you the best in this journey. Hoping that it is all still localized and manageable with surgery.
Sending prayers your way.

DW was diagnosed about 8 years ago. Had surgery and is doing well. As has been said, this is very specific to each person. The most important thing I’ve found in dealing with mine and DW’s health issues is the old saying - one day at a time. You can only deal with what’s known and, as you said, you don’t know yet. As hard as it is, try to calm your mind and wait for the information to come in before you react.

Know that there are many here wishing you well. Mine and DW’s thoughts are with you.
+1. I had BC diagnosed in 1993. I'm still here :). It's important to understand your pathology. My initial diagnosis was a tubular slow-growing cancer. I had it removed and no chemo or radiation. Then it came back in 2011. Again, mastectomy this time, no chemo or radiation. I only suggest you ask as many questions as you can. Research online, there's a wealth of knowledge there. Unless this is an aggressive cancer, you have time. Be confident in your decision and get 2-3 opinions outside of one medical community. Maybe AI is offering more specific and advanced knowledge these days. Sending healing thoughts.

Good on you as the happiest retiree ever. Always good to reflect on your advantages: beautiful home next door to your honey, finances well in order, mind functioning just fine... look at the hordes of people with poor dental and health care, no insurance, inadequate IQ to think about and manage their care, total lack of support. We drive by people in roadside encampments with their dingy collection of goods piled in a shopping cart and think just how lucky we are. Good to reflect on your good fortunes.

Sorry to hear the news, but wait until you get some test results before jumping to any conclusions. There are some great advances in medications and testing that can significantly improve the treatment, and subsequent results.

I'm sorry to read this, W2R but, as the others have said, the science has advanced greatly. They can do a lot to discern the exact characteristics of the tumor and are much better at identifying what exactly is the best way to attack it. Please keep us posted!

Agree with the recommendation for a support group. Breastcancer.org was a mental lifeline for me when I went through this.

W2R, you've got a lot of support and encouragement here so please keep us posted so we can do our part as you navigate this situation - the unknown is hard, so hopefully the imaging and tests will give some details that will give you a good plan to go forward.

Just found out that I have a "T4b" breast tumor. My doctor says I need a bunch of imaging so they can tell what is happening. So, I'm starting out with a mammogram on Thursday, then ultrasound, then biopsy, etc etc. The overall outlook doesn't look encouraging, but then I'm 76 years old so I suppose eventually this sort of thing would start happening. Hopefully I'll continue on as usual for a good number of years, as the happiest retiree ever. Right now it's too soon to know what's going on. Who knows? Maybe something, maybe nothing. 🙂
I am so sorry to hear this news. Please be strong and positive!! My mother-in-law had breast cancer at 86, she refused chemo treatment and removed one breast entirely, she was cancer free. She lived until 96 when she broken her hip, and then everything went south

Sounds like a tough few days ahead of you finding out what’s going on and how to treat it—I will be thinking of you! Hoping for the best and knowing you will plow ahead regardless

Got the mammogram and ultrasound done today. The results were awful, definitely not encouraging, although as many of you have mentioned we are still in the information gathering stage. Next step is the biopsy, so I called my doctor to find out what surgeon to get for that. The lab said they had a doctor there who could do it if need be. Or, my doctor works at our nearby hospital which is connected live to MD Anderson in Houston, via the internet.

Physically I'm feeling reasonably good today. OK, I admit I'm utterly exhausted at the moment, but then I had to set the alarm 3 hours early to get to my lab appointments on time. But otherwise, I'm fine. Just had lunch and plan to either nap or play my video game this afternoon.

One day at a time. One foot in front of the other. You WILL get through this. Blessings from all of us.

So sorry to hear that the results were not great. I love the MD Anderson option, as that place is amazing and it's one of the things I hated to give up when we left the Houston area.

"Next step is the biopsy, so I called my doctor to find out what surgeon to get for that. The lab said they had a doctor there who could do it if need be. Or, my doctor works at our nearby hospital which is connected live to MD Anderson in Houston, via the internet."

Going forward (post-biopsy), you may want to find a Center of Excellence for breast cancer (or specifically for your type of breast cancer, if that exists), as they will have the greatest knowledge and experience, which is what it sounds like you'll need.

omni

Got the mammogram and ultrasound done today.

. . . my doctor works at our nearby hospital which is connected live to MD Anderson in Houston, via the internet.
Sorry to hear about your results so far but remember, it’s just the beginning. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

I would definitely go with the doctor that is connected to Anderson. If you have the ability to travel, you may want to go there for a second opinion.

Frankly, DW (and I in support) did not feel the need or see the benefit of a second opinion. Her results were reviewed by a breast cancer team and as hard as the recommendation was to hear, she didn’t want to go through more testing. Given that you’re at the biopsy stage, the most important thing, IMO, is to now be connected to the best organization you can get to.

Your situation will be different but I feel very confident that you can and will get through this. I have a friend and I’ll spare you the details, but her breast cancer was very advanced (we thought we’d lose her) and she’s still here and doing well.

I’m praying for the best outcome for you.

Last edited:
Kindest wishes to you W2R.

We need you to stick around for many years as who else do we have to jinx the stock market?

You may wish to look into tumor preservation, i.e. keeping the tumor tissue in a state of preservation to allow for future testing for immunotherapy or for chemo specifically tailored for the particular cancer. (I am glad that you are going to a surgeon for the biopsy, I made the mistake of having mine done at the same facility which performed the mammogram.)

Back
Top Bottom