My diet changes and advice on selecting protein bars as a snack food

After having quadruple bypass surgery 1 year ago at the age of 56, part of the physical therapy was a discussion with a nutritionist. She told me to drink protein shakes. Since my wife is vegetarian, we get the Safeway and Frys pea protein powders. The nutritionist also recommended protein milk, so now we buy the Silk Almond Milk Protein.

I didn’t read all the replies, but I add PBFit peanut butter powder to my Greek yogurt.

The question is are you just trying to get in more protein or are you thinking of it as a meal? How are you meeting all your nutritional needs. If you are just trying to get more protein, there are flavorless powders you can mix with any beverage. If you are trying to make it a meal, best to look at meal replacement bars. A lot of bars are really snacks, not meals, and for a quick snack, they can be pretty high in calories. If you are into blending, making your own will allow you to minimize added sugars and chemicals plus add fiber and extra fluid. I get my protein from both Bulk supplements and Vital proteins. I have first scoop with coffee every morning. Scoop 2-3 with my exercise drink that I make with protein, creatine, and several other ingredients. I can make an ice cream with them too in the blender. On the road, in a bind, I'll go with an Adkins meal or snack bar.

My triglycerides are elevated, but cholesterol is OK otherwise. It is likely the carbs in my past diet. I take half of the meds my Doc gave me a few years ago and seems to be just right.

I'm back on the low carb intake and used to drink the Adkins double chocolate shakes (best tasting imo). Otherwise, I do a lot of single item snacking from 11-7pm. We started buying Mesquite pre-cooked chicken breast & adding it to a Southwest salad mix for 2. Chicken can go from frozen to ready in ~10 minutes in the air fryer.

Other things I sometimes do is a scoop of peanut butter, chill dills, good parm cheese & berries and strawberries. If DW doesn't buy crap, I eat quite healthy. Oh, & a really lean and juicy steak cut is tri tip. Love me some ribeye but, man, the fat is really too much.

We eat the Costco brand protein bar and 1/2 each of a protein drink (from costco) called "premier protein"
That is 25 grams of protein for morning, not counting the milk in coffee.

Other times we have eggs, but don't want to eat eggs every day..

View attachment 51253View attachment 51254
You can do much better when it comes to liquid protein drinks. Here are the ingredients listed for Perfect Protein:

WATER, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE†, CALCIUM CASEINATE†, CONTAINS LESS THAN 1% OF HIGH OLEIC SUNFLOWER OIL OR SOYBEAN OIL, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, CELLULOSE GEL AND CELLULOSE GUM, SALT, SUCRALOSE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, CARRAGEENAN, TRIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE, VITAMIN AND MINERAL BLEND (DL-ALPHA-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE [VITAMIN E], ZINC GLYCINATE CHELATE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, NIACINAMIDE, PHYTONADIONE [VITAMIN K1], POTASSIUM IODIDE, CHOLECALCIFEROL [VITAMIN D3], COPPER GLUCONATE, CALCIUM D-PANTOTHENATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, SODIUM SELENITE, BIOTIN, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, FOLIC ACID, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], CYANOCOBALAMIN [VITAMIN B12], PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], CHROMIUM POLYNICOTINATE), MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE.

The question is are you just trying to get in more protein or are you thinking of it as a meal? How are you meeting all your nutritional needs. If you are just trying to get more protein, there are flavorless powders you can mix with any beverage. If you are trying to make it a meal, best to look at meal replacement bars. A lot of bars are really snacks, not meals, and for a quick snack, they can be pretty high in calories. If you are into blending, making your own will allow you to minimize added sugars and chemicals plus add fiber and extra fluid. I get my protein from both Bulk supplements and Vital proteins. I have first scoop with coffee every morning. Scoop 2-3 with my exercise drink that I make with protein, creatine, and several other ingredients. I can make an ice cream with them too in the blender. On the road, in a bind, I'll go with an Adkins meal or snack bar.
The
You're already used to bland food ... these aren't too bad..i get them for free at work.

I used to use the Orgain protein mixes, but have switched to MuscleMilk which has zero added sugars. Orgain has a little added sugar I think. Its the sugars I have issues with..so zeroing that out.

2 meals per day i make protein shakes..for 2 meals I use this.

2 apples
1 avocado
1 banana
1 or 2 carrots
1 or 2 celery stalks
2-3 scoops of the protein powder (less than they recommend..it gets too sweet for me)
half a blender full of water
1 or 2 cups frozen spinach

IIR- this is about 250 calories per meal

PWF
There’s an interesting “replacement meal” product called HLTH CODE, developed by a leading low-carb doc. It’s really protein powder plus lots of added vitamins, minerals, and
You're already used to bland food ... these aren't too bad..i get them for free at work.

I used to use the Orgain protein mixes, but have switched to MuscleMilk which has zero added sugars. Orgain has a little added sugar I think. Its the sugars I have issues with..so zeroing that out.

2 meals per day i make protein shakes..for 2 meals I use this.

2 apples
1 avocado
1 banana
1 or 2 carrots
1 or 2 celery stalks
2-3 scoops of the protein powder (less than they recommend..it gets too sweet for me)
half a blender full of water
1 or 2 cups frozen spinach

IIR- this is about 250 calories per meal

PWF
There’s an interesting replacement-meal product called HLTH CODE, developed by a leading lie-carb doctor (B Bikman). It starts with protein powder and adds lots of good stuff to make it nutritionally complete. Not cheap. 400 calories per serving.

I usually mix up my breakfasts, one day having cereal and yoghurt along with fruit, and another substituting protein bars for the cereal. I have always found Larabars to be the best. Minimal ingredients and they don't give anything in the way of an upset stomach And while the Robert Irving bars are very tasty they are about the equivalent of eating a higher protein candy bar. But if you want to continue with them you can get them at Sam's Club (and probably Costco as well) for under a $1 a bar for a package of 18 each.

I eat Pure Protein Bars on occasion. Get on Amazon. Also each night after dinner I drink a little Kefir or have a little Greek Yogurt.

But I’m also a good eater- too good! Lol!

Simply Protein Crispy Bars, also available at Costco, pack 15 grams of protein into 150 calories, and the plant-based ingredients are healthy. Another thing that sets them apart is the sweetener: inulin, derived from chicory root and also considered a prebiotic fiber. Inulin is supposedly quite beneficial but it can trigger gas and bloating. The flavors are mild; my favorite by far is the lemon coconut.

View attachment 51287
I don't usually eat protein bars, but picked up Simply Protein bars last time I was at Costco. DH and I did a taste test, and like these better than Kind, Clif and Luna bars. Reminds me of a Rice Crispies treat, but not overly sweet. So thanks for the heads up!

Those look intriguing. And they do have a couple of chocolatey flavors :).
Had never heard of Lion's Mane before, so had to google it: a cool-looking mushroom!

I bought the IQBAR sampler box. So far, the best tasting one is definitely the peanut butter (chocolate) chip. I can see myself buying a full box of that. I expect I'll like the almond butter (chocolate) chip one as well.

I thought for sure I'd prefer the banana nut or lemon blueberry bars, but once was enough with those.

My between meal or meal replacements are:
Orgain plant protein shake, claims to have 50 superfood blend 20 g protein, veggie and fruit blend and best of all for me is no milk.
Costco brand protein bars
A handful of unsalted nuts is often a between meal snack.

Have tried the RX bars, Cliff bars, and others. But my main go to are the first two listed.
Agree they all have more sugar than needed.
I do have a recipe for homemade bars that I make occasionally as a meal substitute

Those specific Orgain shakes were on sale at Costco, so we picked up a bunch. The ingredients/nutrition facts look great, except for the oddly elevated sodium (540 mg!). The flavor takes some getting used to, but I've found that if I pour it into a glass filled with crushed ice, that helps a lot. Good recommendation.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 11.30.56 PM.png

I eat low carb by neccessity not preference. Heres my shopping list for you to look through: granny smith apples, organic peanut butter that contains only peanuts and salt (costco is my fav), egglands best eggs (more protein), fairlife milk white milk (less sugar and more protein), 2good brand yogurt, dannon zero sugar yogurt (both less carbs and no added sugars, hard to find in yogurt, even plain greek yogurt has more carbs than these 2 brands). the low carb tortillas are sh*t, they act just like regular tortillas. Best bet is the xtreme wellness high fiber tortilla. crockpot bbq chicken made with thighs and sweet baby rays sugar free sauce jazzed up. oranges (not a whole orange, a few wedges). berries (a few not a package). walnuts almonds cashews peanuts pecans. flax and chia stirred into yogurt for extra fiber. cheese all kinds. veggies that grow on top of the ground (corn is not a vegetable). think cabbage mushrooms celeru broccoli cauliflower. trash food: special k makes a low carb or keto cinnamon cereal thats good dry, with milk, or as a topping on yogurt. quest chips are good. walmart has a sugar free chocolate chip brand. I picture a teal bag for dark and a reddish bag for semisweet. As far as bars they are all prettty much sh*t. They act like carbs when they hit the body. the ingredients list is very long. Legendary makes a type of poptart that acts better when it hits the body. Ingredients list longish but theyre very high protein and dont spike the blood sugar. I prefer strawberry or chocolate. They can tend to dry so eat with a drink. THey are expensive, cheapest I can find is bulk on amazon. GUacamole and avocado. smoked salmon. with or without cream cheese. any kind of salad greens. boiled eggs on salad. Tuna salad made with dill relish (not sweet relish). Wholesome yum makes a good honey substitute. QUest peanut butter cups taste good but dont travel or ship well so are often formless lumps that merge together, but can be easily replicated by a spoonful of peanut butter studded with sugar free choc chips. you can melt the choc chips in the microwave if you feel fancy and then dip the spoonful of peanut btuter in them. but life is short. Almond butter. I hope this helps at all on your low carb snacking lifestyle. Also, i learned to always keep cut up granny smiths and cucumbers prepped in the fridge. they are the chip subsctitute, ths snack to pair with a protein, they give you the crunch, and theyre reayd to throw on top of a fast salad. I also keep dried lentils (ready to eat dried, not the ready to cook kind) and dried chickpeas for same. snacking and salad toppings. I also intentionally have to raise my salt intake sometimes bc I cook fresh and I dont get "added" salts so i have to add them myself to things. a twist of salt over my salads helps.

Favorite protein bar is Rise brand . Whey protein , simple ingredients. We also take digestive enzymes so we actually absorb more of the protein, ( part of the reason you need more protein as you age). We are also Gluten free , so that is another constraint.

Back
Top Bottom