New concrete patio, how can I improve it?

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So, my old patio had a major crack. I 'fixed' the crack a couple of years ago but that part of the patio kept 'sliding' and sinking so it showed back up and was worse than before. So, to BTD I had the patio ripped out and redone...

As for the old patio, we were surprised to see that some of it was 6 inches and some 4.. no rebar or anything.

Well, I was not thinking and they did not ask but they did a broom finish.. and I will say an aggressive broom finish as it is kinda rough... So, I would like to get it back to smooth somehow. I would like to know if anybody knows the best way to do so? I have read a couple of ways to get it done but would like real world info.

There was likely enough cream there that you can polish it with a grinder. Ask around about renting that kind of equipment and be very aware of silicosis.

There was likely enough cream there that you can polish it with a grinder. Ask around about renting that kind of equipment and be very aware of silicosis.
Be careful with the grinder. If you go too smooth and it gets slippery, there is no easy way to grind back to a rough finish.

Lots of people offer epoxy or plastic (polyurethane?) garage floor treatments with lots of color options.

If you go that route, though, don't oversmooth/be sure to have some traction grit. I used to fly out of a hangar with a gloss floor. With a little dusty snow blown in it was like trying to walk on ball bearings.

Be careful with the grinder. If you go too smooth and it gets slippery, there is no easy way to grind back to a rough finish.
I think you can hit it with muriatic acid (swimming pool acid) and it will etch the concrete. Just be careful with the acid because it will burn you if you get it on your skin.

Thanks for the suggestions.... yes, I did not want it polished where it is dangerous but I would like to have it smoother... I might try the pool acid on a spot that is not near the patio... I also have two sections next to the garage they did so there is a place I can experiment... and can grind a bit...

Have not talked to the contractor... I got a really good deal, less than half what others bid so I am not that worried about spending a bit of money on my own to get it where I want..

There is really no great answer. You can certainly consider a coating like they do with garage floors but even the best of those will fail (peel/flake) at some point. Grinding will obviously smooth it out, but at the very least, you better find someone who knows what they’re doing. You wouldn’t want to make things worse.

I’m assuming you go barefoot on the patio for this to matter? Have you thought of a decorative outdoor rug? That would be something you might want even if you didn’t have an issue with the concrete.

IMG_1101.jpeg

In this area / they can smooth it with concrete, then put a texture on top/ similar to pool decking

When I had ours in, I went 8" and extra rebar. I wanted to be able to park a truck on it. Or a bobcat. It was probably overkill. We added a little gruff where our stairs ended onto the slab so people don't slip if its wet or humid in that spot. We added a couple of different colors to the mix and the guys troweling did a great job finishing the edges smooth so we don't cut outselves where needed. There is some special treatment around footings and other concrete junctures that they will need to do. We also had footings put in so had an inspection on those by the city. The slab seemed like a slam dunk and they were done with a massive 22x24 foot in about 5 hours I believe. The next day we sealed it up with commercial grade seal...

There is really no great answer. You can certainly consider a coating like they do with garage floors but even the best of those will fail (peel/flake) at some point. Grinding will obviously smooth it out, but at the very least, you better find someone who knows what they’re doing. You wouldn’t want to make things worse.

I’m assuming you go barefoot on the patio for this to matter? Have you thought of a decorative outdoor rug? That would be something you might want even if you didn’t have an issue with the concrete.

View attachment 51359
We added extra patio to our town house back in the day. No way to match without tearing out the old - so we did the rug thing to hide the difference and were quite pleased with the result.

Back
Top Bottom