Shift from Traditional 401k to Taxable Brokerage?

I’m a big advocate of contributing to an after-tax 401k and converting to a Roth. I’m doing this and it’s helped increase my Roth savings significantly.

The problem I run into is how to balance this with a 401k. Should I fully fund the 401k and the rest into the Roth or fund 401k to company match and the rest in Roth.
I always maxed out pre-tax 401(k) (to save some tax today) then spill over to after-tax 401(k) max out. After I qualified for deferred comp plan, I was able to drop in to a lower tax bracket so now I max out Roth 401(k) and then max out after-tax 401(k). Our projected tax bracket in RE will be same as today so it makes sense to NOT save tax today. YMMV.

PS: We have a relatively small after-tax bucket but it is all real estate which throws a pretty large chunk of cashflow. And we have a growing differed comp account. So we are not worried about covering the gap years.

Last edited:
My question around that is, are those Roth conversions accessible 5 years after they were made (so if I started doing it now at 35, I could start accessing this year's conversions when I turned 40), or are they locked down until 59.5 unless you employ a strategy like SEPP or Rule of 55, etc.? Or does that vary by plan/plan administrator?
I retired at 50, and am now 57. My understanding with the Roth 5 year rule since you're under 59.5 is each Roth Conversion has a 5 year hold period and you need to have opened your initial Roth 5 years. You can withdraw your contributions without penalties, but can't touch earnings until you're 59.5 w/o a penalty. For my wife and I, I put all my contributions into a Roth 401K, and the company match by default goes into a regular 401K. The more you put into a Roth 401K now means that between 59.5 and 70, your Roth will serve as the control to determine which tax bracket you want to be in during those years. Here are two good references on the Roth rules:

In terms of maximizing MAGI, at your 24% income level, you're not going to any subsidy. My wife and I are currently on a Silver Package through the Marketplace, and subsidies really drop off around the $110K level. Here's a good marketplace calculator:

Regarding your $2.3-2.6M in a brokerage account, it really depends on your spend rate if your child goes on to college. Since you have more equities in your brokerage than your 401K, keep in mind that you need to account for interest and dividends so that it doesn't push you into a higher bracket if the market does well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom