The Electric Vehicle Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.. it's organized crime, I think. People around here have been killed when confronting catalytic converter thieves! It's infuriating not just because it costs the victim a ton of money and time, but also because catalytic converters are so effective, it's an environmental and public health hazard driving even a little bit without a cat. I also hate those idiots that run catless exhaust just to get 10hp more on their stupid street cars. :mad: High-performance EVs for the masses will someday bring an end to all of that.

Yeah, they just busted a major operation here in SE PA. They were hitting train stations, parking lots, even driveways! I just hope they can go up the chain and see who is at the top of these theft rings!

I think one of my many frequented junk yards back in the day was right across the street from this guy.

TDI Towing of Port Richmond was the main buyer of the stolen catalytic converters, he said. The tow yard paid thieves about $300 for each device and bought an average of 175 catalytic converters per week, said Weintraub.

From 2020 to 2023, TDI Towing purchased an estimated 27,300 catalytic converters for a total of $8.2 million, he said.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/bucks-county-catalytic-converter-theft-ring-millions-20230627.html

I drove my first Tesla by surprise this weekend as it was the only car type available at Hertz in their club thing. I had reserved a small SUV but was told there was a wait. I guess the tesla is an upgrade but I really didn't want to try a new car in a new town. Oh well.

I could really have used a quick checklist of stuff to know.

Like...adjusting the side view mirrors is something under the control panel on the console. I never did find it. It wasn't "Mirrors" but "controls>mirrors" or something. I also wasn't comfortable looking at the center panel for stuff I'm used to having in front of me, so luckily my sister was in charge of it for nav, AC changes (just gimme a dial to turn...) etc.

Fun fact, when she put in the directions for the Aquarium we were half way to the wrong one before I realized - I didn't have geographical bearings to know intuitively I was going the wrong way and only after thinking it was taking too long did I look over to see we were going NE instead of SE. For 20 minutes... at least we didn't waste gas! And who knew there two aquariums in Atlanta!

The first time I stopped the car to get out, I didn't know how to turn it off or lock it. We were in an underground parking lot and couldn't even get signal to google lol. (apparently you can wave the key card on the outside of the door, which locks/turns off, or just walk far enough away). I was also extremely ready to find a restroom at this point so I just had to leave, find one, and then come back and figure out if the car was off/locked. Fun stuff.

(The hotel valet dude was more helpful than the hertz folks.)

The wand to move from R/N/D has a button on the end for Park, but the display says P/R/N/D so I'd normally think ok you keep moving it up you'll get in park. I never did get the hang of how long to pull or push it to go from R to N to D and often had to tap it a few times to get it to budge, or tap it once and it moved two spots. At one point I was in D, but stopped, and had to get into R in a hurry, to get out of the way of something big, and it was a moment.

No-coasting. If your foot is off the gas the car is gonna stop. This took me a good day to get used to. This would be the main thing to know before getting in one I think.

But it was nice not to think about gas. Our hotel had plenty of chargers and the valet always plugged it back in when we returned. It was a nice car, drove well, but not a good idea for a rental, for me, in an unfamiliar area.

Sorry that was your first experience with a Tesla, but sounds like you did okay. You're right. a TINY bit of information would've went a LONG way. A couple of things:

There is a owner's manual (fully text searchable) on the center screen. It's also available online: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual

There are also these short videos to help you get started: https://www.tesla.com/support/videos

But all you really need is this ONE video: https://www.tesla.com/support/videos/watch/essentials-meet-your-model-y

Adjusting the side-view mirrors and steering column is right there in the very first screen when the this the main Car Menu icon. I think you can just use voice command "Adjust mirrors" or anything similar to bring it up right away.

Required use of the key card is unfortunate because the key card is really designed to be an emergency back-up solution. If you owned the vehicle, you would have your phone-as-key, and then unlocking would be automatic when you approach the vehicle while locking would be automatic when you step away from the vehicle. There's no way around it today, but Tesla really should prioritize getting custom FW and back-end infrastructure to support rentals better. That way, it would allow non-Tesla owners to be added as guest-drivers to the vehicle. This would benefit Tesla owners who are traveling and renting as our driver profile (seating position, mirrors, HVAC, entertainment settings) are all synced to the cloud and can be recalled on the rental car. Today, they already have the feature where I can "lend" my vehicle to someone and they will have access to it with their phone app, so I don't see this being too difficult for Tesla.

The stalk has a "P" and an arrow near the tip of it like this: "P<" so it indicates that you need to push the button in. The up and down movement of the stalk has detents. There's no time element involved. You need to move it passed the detents in the respective direction to get it to Drive or Reverse. Moving the stalk before the detents will put you in "neutral."

Nearly everything is available via voice command by just pressing the right scroll button on the steering wheel -- especially when you are trying to navigate somewhere -- just describe it like a Google search... If you're specific enough, it will just navigate there. If you're not, you'll get a list of results and you can scroll through the list and see them on the map geographically -- you can also inspect each destination and see information for each one (like a phone number) before navigating to them.

I don't know about drive mode options now. You might be right and the only option is one-pedal driving. Before, we had several options... I liked roll mode with high-regen because it can be the most efficient and really feels like a perfectly-shifted manual transmission. My new Model X only has one-pedal driving mode. I think it might be the same for the new 3 & Y. My 2018 Model 3 still has roll mode. The older cars also have a "creep" mode, which paired with low-regen will emulate an automatic transmission (with no gear shifts, obviously). That will give you that "coasting" feel... But honestly, when you're used to regen, that automatic-transmission coasting just feels like the car is out of control.

Some people take just minutes to get used to regen. Some day a few days. Within a day is about right for nearly everyone, so you're pretty typical.

Adjusting the side-view mirrors and steering column is right there in the very first screen when the this the main Car Menu icon. I think you can just use voice command "Adjust mirrors" or anything similar to bring it up right away.

Yeah these are the first things I do in any car, manually. I don't think voice command was enabled on this car, as we did try!

And I'm sure 99% of people want to just get in their rental (after a long flight, bus/train over to the rental center) and just GO already. I wasn't aware of any manual and there was no "hey, just take 30 seconds to read this" thing. I did figure most of it out, but not an experience I was expecting.

It feels like this is tesla specific, vs. EV specific. And it felt very "let's design how this should work like it's never been done before!" which I know is how new software likes to be, but is less practical in reality when you've got a 54 year old ICE driver suddenly plopped behind the wheel who just wants to get to her hotel already.

I did like the mini map on the nav that showed other cars and the way the car chimed when the light turned green (in case you were using those few seconds to figure out how to turn the ac down...) lol....

Yeah these are the first things I do in any car, manually. I don't think voice command was enabled on this car, as we did try!

And I'm sure 99% of people want to just get in their rental (after a long flight, bus/train over to the rental center) and just GO already. I wasn't aware of any manual and there was no "hey, just take 30 seconds to read this" thing. I did figure most of it out, but not an experience I was expecting.

It feels like this is tesla specific, vs. EV specific. And it felt very "let's design how this should work like it's never been done before!" which I know is how new software likes to be, but is less practical in reality when you've got a 54 year old ICE driver suddenly plopped behind the wheel who just wants to get to her hotel already.

I did like the mini map on the nav that showed other cars and the way the car chimed when the light turned green (in case you were using those few seconds to figure out how to turn the ac down...) lol....

You're kind of right in that a lot of this is Tesla-specific, but many other manufacturers are following suit because it enables great features for the customer and it saves costs.

Tesla started this "clean slate" approach because >10 years ago, they needed to give the customer as much batteries as possible within the original target $50k, so it was worth their while to re-think everything to cut costs. Putting in a huge touchscreen started as a cost-saving measure because it removes all of the costs associated with physical buttons, wiring harnesses, wiring connectors, and associated tooling/manufacturing/assembly costs. But it also allows them to offer new capabilities that aren't possible without the layer of electronic/software control. For instance, the electronic door releases allows the driver to enable/disable child-safety locks from the touch screen and eliminates the need for a mechanical disengagement switch in the door. It also allows things like PIN number lock to the glovebox or even prevent driving with a PIN (this prevents theft by key spoofing). Controlling power seats, steering column, and mirror positions electronically also means you can have more driver profiles (beyond the traditional 1, 2, 3, buttons) and have them automatically linked to your individual key. And after 10+ years of continuous software update, the car really does feel much newer and modern than if it were stuck with the same set of features/UI from a decade earlier. I look back at old photos and videos of my kids in the car from 2013 and I can see the old UI in the background and it looks very dated to me now, even though I remember thinking it was so futuristic and modern at the time.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that none of the "Tesla rethinking" is more in-your-face than the removal of the useless "START/STOP" button that legacy manufacturers carried over from their ICE cars to their EVs. Tesla got it right. You have a butt-sensor in the driver's seat. You have a key sensor in the car, so you know when the driver is present with the key. Stepping on the brake pedal is all it takes to allow the car to drive. And in the S/X, there is an option you can enable for it to use vision to predict which direction (forward or reverse) you want to go (it assumes you don't want to crash into a wall in front or behind you).

Last edited:
Sorry that was your first experience with a Tesla, but sounds like you did okay. You're right. a TINY bit of information would've went a LONG way. A couple of things:

There is a owner's manual (fully text searchable) on the center screen. It's also available online: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual

There are also these short videos to help you get started: https://www.tesla.com/support/videos

But all you really need is this ONE video: https://www.tesla.com/support/videos/watch/essentials-meet-your-model-y

Required use of the key card is unfortunate because the key card is really designed to be an emergency back-up solution. If you owned the vehicle, you would have your phone-as-key, and then unlocking would be automatic when you approach the vehicle while locking would be automatic when you step away from the vehicle. There's no way around it today, but Tesla really should prioritize getting custom FW and back-end infrastructure to support rentals better. That way, it would allow non-Tesla owners to be added as guest-drivers to the vehicle. This would benefit Tesla owners who are traveling and renting as our driver profile (seating position, mirrors, HVAC, entertainment settings) are all synced to the cloud and can be recalled on the rental car. Today, they already have the feature where I can "lend" my vehicle to someone and they will have access to it with their phone app, so I don't see this being too difficult for Tesla.

The stalk has a "P" and an arrow near the tip of it like this: "P<" so it indicates that you need to push the button in. The up and down movement of the stalk has detents. There's no time element involved. You need to move it passed the detents in the respective direction to get it to Drive or Reverse. Moving the stalk before the detents will put you in "neutral."

Nearly everything is available via voice command by just pressing the right scroll button on the steering wheel -- especially when you are trying to navigate somewhere -- just describe it like a Google search... If you're specific enough, it will just navigate there. If you're not, you'll get a list of results and you can scroll through the list and see them on the map geographically -- you can also inspect each destination and see information for each one (like a phone number) before navigating to them.

I don't know about drive mode options now. You might be right and the only option is one-pedal driving. Before, we had several options... I liked roll mode with high-regen because it can be the most efficient and really feels like a perfectly-shifted manual transmission. My new Model X only has one-pedal driving mode. I think it might be the same for the new 3 & Y. My 2018 Model 3 still has roll mode. The older cars also have a "creep" mode, which paired with low-regen will emulate an automatic transmission (with no gear shifts, obviously). That will give you that "coasting" feel... But honestly, when you're used to regen, that automatic-transmission coasting just feels like the car is out of control.

Some people take just minutes to get used to regen. Some day a few days. Within a day is about right for nearly everyone, so you're pretty typical.

This is when I thank God that I have a 2000 Buick. No screens, all buttons, electric mirrors, but they operate from a small self-evident set of buttons. I'm not certain I'd ever figure out my Son's Mod. 3. I guess I'm too old.

This is when I thank God that I have a 2000 Buick. No screens, all buttons, electric mirrors, but they operate from a small self-evident set of buttons. I'm not certain I'd ever figure out my Son's Mod. 3. I guess I'm too old.

You're not too old. Tesla did this >10 years ago, so it's nothing new. Even if the process is a bit different from other makes, you only set up your seats/steering/mirror position once (and save it to your profile) and then there's nothing to figure out. Sit in the seat and go. Even if you can't figure out how to get it to park, you can literally just take your butt off the seat and walk away (or jump out the window even!) and the car will know to "shift" into park, turn off, and lock itself.

You're not too old. Tesla did this >10 years ago, so it's nothing new. Even if the process is a bit different from other makes, you only set up your seats/steering/mirror position once (and save it to your profile) and then there's nothing to figure out. Sit in the seat and go. Even if you can't figure out how to get it to park, you can literally just take your butt off the seat and walk away (or jump out the window even!) and the car will know to "shift" into park, turn off, and lock itself.

Very glad to hear that. I'd be beside myself, trying to get a car to shut off and figure out how to lock it.

Again, the old Buick leaves no doubt (if you leave the key in the ignition, it will let you know!)

Again, the old Buick leaves no doubt (if you leave the key in the ignition, it will let you know!)

...but it won't do anything about it! :D

First-hand knowledge because one of the first things I did about a week after getting our first Tesla all those years ago: I drove to the gas station in my wife's Honda, filled-up, paid, then got back into car and tried to start it again only to realize that I never shut off the engine! During refueling! I've never done that before.

I’d say you adapted well, better than most.

I really like how Teslas work for the most part, but they are different from legacy auto, and the differences take a little instruction - so it wouldn’t be a good rental car. Fortunately some of the issues can be changed in the cars settings (one pedal driving in your case), but not all (stalkless has been controversial for Model S and X).

As an aside, the controls on a Prius threw most people at first too, though not as different as Teslas are.

To me it’s like going from a flip phone to a smartphone. I’m sure touchscreens and swiping was foreign to all of us once, but surely everyone knows now. I know it took me a while to figure it all out, and some instruction (or fumbling around) was needed. Same with using an iPad, it took a while to get it, but it all makes perfect sense once you know?

Last edited:
Yeah, they just busted a major operation here in SE PA. They were hitting train stations, parking lots, even driveways! I just hope they can go up the chain and see who is at the top of these theft rings!

I think one of my many frequented junk yards back in the day was right across the street from this guy.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/bucks-county-catalytic-converter-theft-ring-millions-20230627.html

Nice that they caught them... I've heard a few of these stories before but the rate at which they are stolen doesn't seem any different. Hopefully, this time is different.

The worse thing about it is that it disproportionally affects poorer communities where a higher percentage of cars are parked outside overnight. And then in addition to the time/cost required to replace the cat and damaged exhaust pipes surrounding the cat, the victim needs to decide whether to spend even more money to install an anti-theft device or take a chance at another theft down down the line. I think those that chance it end up installing the anti-theft device after their second theft.

Very glad to hear that. I'd be beside myself, trying to get a car to shut off and figure out how to lock it.

On July 4th our daughter (in her 40's now) took her UK driving test as required for all folks with a US driving licence. (you have up to 12 months driving allowed before you need to pass a UK test). She has a VW id.3 EV.

I rode with her to the test station and 50 minutes later when she came back the examiner seemed to be talking for a quite a while to her. She said that he had told her that she could now turn off the ignition. When she said that she doesn't normally have to do this, but had now just pushed the power button for him. Nothing much had changed on the dashboard and she told him that when they exited the car it would all power down as he'd expect. He was fascinated and told her that this was the first test he had performed in a full EV.

She passed and thought it appropriate that she should achieve her driving independence on July 4th.

I am guessing she did not get a license allowing manual cars but only for driving automatic?

I am guessing she did not get a license allowing manual cars but only for driving automatic?

That's right. Fairly common these days with the prevalence of hybrid cars and now EVs. Our son also took a UK driving test in 2018 after his move to England and has an automatic only driving licence. He drives a Yaris hybrid.

Neither of them had any desire to learn to drive a stick shift.

Our daughter's partner, an Australian American, is going to exchange his Australian licence for a UK one having seen all the stress our daughter went through to pass hers. They plan to eventually retire to Australia where they can exchange their UK licences for Australian ones.

I was half expecting that story to end with her failing her test because she had no way to turn off the ignition. :D

It's so much less stringent here in the US, I guess... I got my license with my instructor's Automatic Geo Prizm (rebadged Corolla). I then proceeded to learned to drive a manual transmission with my first brand new car in stop-and-go traffic going up a steep hill in San Francisco. I had to learn fast.

That would end my anxiety of "Did I lock the old Buick?" Occasionally, I've gone to the front window of the Old Homestead and clicked on the lock button of the fob and watch the lights tell me "message received." It would be nice to just "walk away" and KNOW that the car would lock itself.

I was half expecting that story to end with her failing her test because she had no way to turn off the ignition. :D

It's so much less stringent here in the US, I guess... I got my license with my instructor's Automatic Geo Prizm (rebadged Corolla). I then proceeded to learned to drive a manual transmission with my first brand new car in stop-and-go traffic going up a steep hill in San Francisco. I had to learn fast.

Back in 2000 my son passed his test in an automatic Geo Prizm as well (his own car), but never learned to drive a manual transmission :)

That would end my anxiety of "Did I lock the old Buick?" Occasionally, I've gone to the front window of the Old Homestead and clicked on the lock button of the fob and watch the lights tell me "message received." It would be nice to just "walk away" and KNOW that the car would lock itself.

Anxiety? The Tesla app will notify you if the car remains unlocked for whatever reason (e.g. you used a back-up keycard and forgot to lock it) or if you left a door or window open. There is a setting to automatically close any open windows when you walk away. You can also remotely lock/unlock or close/vent the windows from anywhere in the world as long as you and the car have an Internet connection. With automatic doors, the Model X can also open and close doors from the app/key, but only within proximity of the vehicle -- probably a safety thing??

If you're still anxious, you can check on the car by viewing live camera feed from one of the four exterior and one interior cameras from the app. And you can "speak" to people around your vehicle from the app through the pedestrian warning system speaker mounted on the exterior of the vehicle. But you can't hear audio as there's no microphone on the exterior. I think eventually, they will need to add an exterior microphone for FSD to be able to hear emergency vehicle sirens or maybe just leverage the interior microphones. The interior microphone used for voice commands (and active noise cancellation on S/X) is available for the built-in Zoom app, so if you need to talk to someone inside the car, it'll have to be in a Zoom meeting.

And if you really have anxiety, Tesla has API access available for you to write your own software to monitor and control your vehicles and then you can do whatever you want in terms of warnings/notifications -- like you can have it remind you to plug in if the battery is below a certain percentage, and the car is parked at a certain location, and the time is past 10pm, and you have an appointment on your calendar the next day at a location too far for you to make the roundtrip.

On second though, maybe all these capabilities can actually trigger anxiety... :D

Back in 2000 my son passed his test in an automatic Geo Prizm as well (his own car), but never learned to drive a manual transmission :)

For me, oddly, it's kinda come full circle since the Geo Prizm was built at NUMMI and all three of my Tesla vehicles were also built at "NUMMI" (now known as Tesla Factory). I remember touring the NUMMI factory back in 2003 when it was operated by GM/Toyota and then doing another tour in 2013 when taking delivery of our Model S. Quite a big contrast.

This article on Google searches for cars may show why there is such a division of opinion on electric cars and Tesla cars in particular. The map shows a definite concentration on the two coasts. I suppose I should have expected that.

https://electrek.co/2023/07/13/tesla-most-wanted-car-brand-us-study/

I don’t believe it does? After all, if this search data shows why there is such division of opinions, why don’t we see the same for JEEP?
JEEP was the most searched for car in most of the center of the USA (minus MN, ND & IL) & the second highest in the USA..

It is interesting data, but I don’t think it is predictive of sales, or personal positions. It may have some correlation, but not causation IMO.

Okay, even if we take your "mostly" literally and give you the benefit of meaning "just a hair over half" which is something like 3000+ posts, that's still way over estimating it. Your posts, and my response is extremely representative of this thread -- basically what this entire thread is like from almost the very beginning. Just back and forth like this... ad nauseum. It's fun banter sometimes, but it's also tiring. I try to stay away, but whenever I see mis-information or mischaracterization, I feel it is my duty to respond and clarify with facts because there could be innocent lurkers/readers here that would be swayed away from buying an EV if I let it go uncorrected... I have no personal gain other than I love EVs and I think most people will too, so they shouldn't be dissuaded from owning one just because of some misinformation here.

I think the challenge here is not to view opinions different than yours as misinformation and mischaracterization.

Not sure who made you the judge and jury on what consensus is. :confused: Again, I typed a LONG comment on this exact thing just a few pages ago. It's an important distinction between a limitation, which is inherent to the product, and a compromise, which is something that is given up when choosing among several options. Everything has a set of limitations. EVs too. But they have little to no compromises compared to a gasoline vehicle or a hybrid vehicle for most people. Choosing an EV over a gasoline or hybrid vehicle generally gets you better performance, better efficiency, lower fuel costs, lower maintenance, quieter ride, better safety, more passenger room, more cargo room, etc.. The most likely possible compromise would be refueling for those that don't have a place to charge at home. But that's only less convenient compared to a gasoline vehicle today due to the gas station infrastructure we have in place now. When that infrastructure begins to go away, it's going to be more hassle to refuel a gasoline vehicle than to charge an EV. For those that do have a place to charge at home, it's way more convenient to refuel an EV than it is a gasoline vehicle.

We've probably gone over every iteration of every possible "limitation" or "compromise" several times over in this thread, but if you do have a list, let's go through it again. Maybe there is something.

I posted a list of limitations of EV's as I see them and as the market appears to see them a few posts up. I welcome your well considered responses or persuasion on those. But suggesting they are not real and talking mainly about words and their definitions is not assisting people to learn about the cars.

But you can assist as you have a lot of information and have learned a lot. That can help.

This is about cars. Suggest we talk about cars.

I haven’t experienced noticeable range loss and we’ve driven long distances in hot summer weather. I think very cold weather is much worse in terms of shortening range. Not concerned about battery degradation. Tesla cools the batteries while supercharging and after supercharging as needed.

Last edited:
Electric cars do not like hot weather, or so says a recent Forbes article.

What is the real world experience?

Newbie EV owners learning hot weather saps range and may affect battery longevity.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...-are-learning-electric-cars-dont-like-it-hot/

I concur with Audrey.
Cold has been a much bigger (temporary) range hit.
Heat has not been an issue. Any EVs we have owned in the last 13 years have had good battery management systems.
Other than a few trips, we spend very little time with air temps over 100. So my personal experience with very hot temps is limited.

Last edited:
Tesla has cabin overheat protection and will turn on the AC while parked. You can set 90, 100, 110 I think. Can't run AC on ICE without running motor.

Tesla has cabin overheat protection and will turn on the AC while parked. You can set 90, 100, 110 I think. Can't run AC on ICE without running motor.
This overheat protection is temporary, that is, only within the 12 hours after you were last in the car. Our overheat protection notification occurs regularly here - we have it set to the max which is now 100. It used to be 105. I don’t know what the car does other than opening the damper up front to allow more airflow. I have never caught it actually running the AC. DH is convinced it runs the AC. But parked more than 12 hours, none of this occurs anyway. I think the protection is just to give you time to get things out of the car or when parked while out running errands, etc.

Dog Mode and Camp Mode are different. It definitely turn on the AC while parked in those cases.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom