Virginia, West Virginia and Eastern Pennsylvania

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Things change and we are now considering a Fall trip to Virginia, West Virginia and Eastern Pennsylvania. Our interests remain the same history, natural wonders and cultural differences. Any recommendations or tips would be appreciated.

I am finding there are plenty of guide books on Pennsylvania and Virginia. West Virginia, not so much. So if you have lived or traveled in WV, I would especially appreciate your thoughts on places of interest.

Thanks.

You can visit the Palace of Gold in Moundsville. It was originally built in the 70’s as a retirement home for Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, the founder of the Hare Krishna. He died before it was completed and they then planned to make it a commune and city of brotherhood. This didn’t work, now it’s mostly a tourist attraction. Hare Krishna still live there.

Most of the building materials were imported from India, and many of the finishings are gold. It’s an amazing place. My uncle did some work for them and he got us a behind the scenes tour. This was 25 years ago.

Remember all the Hare Krishna’s asking for donations at airports? That’s how it they were used.

Last edited:
There's lots of U.S. history in Harper's Ferry, WV and it's probably worth the stop if you're going to be in the area. It's a national park for good reason.

If you're interested in railroad history, there's the roundhouse in Martinsburg, WV. It changed hands several times during the Civil War, and for good reason. If you controlled the roundhouse, you controlled all rail traffic for the surrounding 100 to 200 miles, a significant advantage at a time when the next speedy alternative to rail was stagecoach, and the only way to move heavy loads such as lots of ammunition or cannon. But unless you have a strong interest or are going to be in the area anyway it probably isn't worth the trip. There's some other history in the area but it's mostly local.

Further south, there is the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine, a tour of what once was a working coal mine. We went through it as part of a two-day tour of southern WV that collectively was fascinating, but alas, that tour no longer exists. Again, unless you're going to be in the area anyway or have a specific interest in that topic it probably isn't worth the day or half-day's travel.

There is a lot of history in WV, especially dealing with the formation of labor unions (it is understatement to say that coal mine working conditions were brutal) but it tends to be spread out over the state. I'm sure member Winemaker knows a lot more about that than I do since he worked in mines.

The New River Gorge was recently elevated to National Park status and is worth a quick visit to view the bridge and make the drive down to the river. Longer if you line up some rafting or other recreational activities.

I also second a visit to Harper’s Ferry.

WV has many state parks, like Pipestem mentioned above, that have many features, including hiking trails, golf courses, hotel/restaurants, and historical features. Very good value when I visited them many years ago.

Other places to visit is Dolly Sods Wilderness Area, Seneca Rocks, white water rafting near Thurmond, the abandoned town where the movie "Matewan" was filmed.

Most towns are former coal mine company towns, are in various stages of gleam or disrepair. There are many of them, so when the mines died out over the years, some of the buildings were never historically preserved, because no one thought the were special. I lived in WV for 10 years in the early stages of my career and my some of DW's family lived in Charleston and Huntington.

I can't say anything about the Exhibition Mine in Beckley, last thing I ever wanted to do was go into a coal mine on my day off! :)

Coopers Rock State Forest in a nice place.

Cacapon Resort State Park is also good. it is relatively close to Harpers Ferry (I echo the earlier recommendations) and Berkeley Springs, a nice historic town with natural warm springs.

Thanks. Lots of great ideas are being offered.

I am stashing them in my Notes app for further reference. :)

Last edited:
Damascus, VA: have an outfitter take you and your bike (or one of their rentals) to the uphill end of the rails to trails and ride back down to Damascus. It's 17 miles downhill so no pedaling. It's not steep at all, just a gradual descent along a creek with beautiful scenery.

WV: Rent a side by side and explore 700+ miles of the Hatfield McCoy trails. Very well marked and well maintained trails. Nothing scary and no experience necessary.

Cass scenic railroad is fantastic. Greenbank, the location of the National Radio Observatory and the world’s largest steerable radio telescope. Also, the bunker at The Greenbrier (but don’t stay there unless your budget allows!).

Oh, and it’s pronounced “West, by God, Virginia.”

In Virginia, I'd recommend "Historic Williamsburg" and "Mount Vernon."

Cass scenic railroad is fantastic.

Oops, I forgot about the Cass Scenic railroad. We went on that and it is well worth the time if you like railroads and history, and it is a state park for good reason. Prices were very reasonable (about eight or so years ago) when we were there. Some absolutely gorgeous scenery on the train ride, of course weather permitting. With two other relative's families we stayed in one of the former coal miner's cabins that the miners and their families lived in. Prices were downright cheap for the space you had compared to any hotel I've ever been in. You have to wash your own dishes though. Dishes, cookware, tableware and clean sheets were included. We did not have to do laundry though.

+100 on Cass. It is an old steam cog railroad up the mountain and leaves in the fall are amazing. Spruce Knob/Seneca Rocks is really nice. Highest spot in WV and you can see into 4 states I think and the trees only grow branches on one side due to the wind. Dolly Sods wilderness is close to Spruce and nice. Blackwater Falls should be seen and is close to that area. I also like Canaan Valley, but no skiing that early and Cheat River and Cheat River Lodge is nice if you like fishing.

Virginia is all about fly fishing on the Shenandoah if you like that or the Civil War. Lots of major battle sites all around the Northern Half of VA. Also things like Monticello, Mt. Vernon, Arlington Cemetary, etc. are worth a stop. Lots of wineries do tours now too if you like that.

Eastern PA I assume the cultural attraction is Amish country in Lancaster/York County. They have some fun buffet/family style dining but not sure how authentic the whole tourist experience is. They have some really good train museums and a Christian Theatre called Sight and Sound that puts on pretty professional Bible based shows. If you like Christmas the National Christmas Center is can't miss and worth the stop.

Oh, one other thing about staying in the former miner's cabins - there is no air conditioning, at least when we stayed there. That's because the wiring hadn't been updated to carry the electrical loads. It wasn't terrible because the site does have some elevation to it but take the likely weather into consideration if/when you make a reservation.

The “historic triangle” of Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown.
With only 140 miles between the two capital's, there is a civil war battlefield every few miles. I especially like Fredericksburg, The Wilderness, Manassas, Richmond fortifications, the Battle of the Crater, “the White House of the Confederacy (if fanatics haven’t torn it down yet), the Casement Museum at Fort Monroe, Gettysburg, Harper’s Ferry, and Appomattox Courthouse.
For culture I would explore the eastern shore and the islands and costal towns of the Chesapeake Bay.
For natural beauty there is the Blue Ridge Parkway,Skyline Drive and the Shenandoah Valley.
Natural Bridge is gorgeous. Chincoteague. The Edgar Allen Poe Museum in Richmond. Lurrey Caverns. Charlottesville and Montecello. Washington DC for history, culture, monuments, and world class museums. Mount Vernon.
Just a few miles beyond the boundaries you set are the Outer Banks of North Carolina and Kill Devil Hill, touring the Naval Academy in Annapolis, and Fort McHenry.
Try to get off the overcrowded interstates and drive back country roads. It is a different world.

I enjoyed the Personal Rapid Transit system in Morgantown, WV. It was sort of a transportation showcase in the 70s whose developers included the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Boeing. Today you can park by the University and ride to the downtown (or vice-versa). Morgantown also is the birthplace of Don Knotts, there's a statue and a festival. Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit - Wikipedia

We are leaving Wednesday for Seneca Rocks WV, Hitting the Caverns too. Never been to that part of the state yet, Use to camp for a week at a music festaval near Clifftop. If you enjoy old Mountian Music, its an awesome time,

BTD and take in the waters at the Homestead - Hot Springs Virginia.

I enjoyed the Personal Rapid Transit system in Morgantown, WV. It was sort of a transportation showcase in the 70s whose developers included the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Boeing. Today you can park by the University and ride to the downtown (or vice-versa). Morgantown also is the birthplace of Don Knotts, there's a statue and a festival. Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit - Wikipedia
Limited thread drift (okay, thread hijack):

I read with interest the attached Wikipedia article (which was predictive of Honolulu's "troubled" Light Rail system which has, so far, cost each and every Oahu resident $10K) indicating massive cost over-runs and need for future expansion to actually make the system useful. I'm seeing a pattern with light rail, but YMMV.

Returning you now - with apologies...

Note that the trip will involve three states Virginia, West Viginia and Eastern Pennsylvania. I might toss in North Caroline boarder areas if it’s worth the trip.

Can anyone suggest a resort like place to stay that might be on a lake or have great views or both in either Virginia or North Carolina, where people could “take a vacation from their vacation”. for two or three days.

It doesn’t need to have golf, tennis, night clubs. Just be quiet and relaxing with a descent restaurant or to nearby.

I visited Monticello on a road trip a couple of years ago. I enjoy historical sites and was happy I was able to see it in person.

Back
Top Bottom