What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Netflix just announced a more accurate methodology to rank its more popular shows and movies. Article from The Verge here.

Netflix new page showing the most popular shows and movies in rank order here.
Interesting that Dynasty made the list. One of my neighborhood cohorts and school classmates is one of the main characters in that series. That would be the second successful series that i've had a personal connection to. The first was a buddy of mine dated/married then divorced one of the main Farscape actresses. Its not as big of a world as we think.

Recently subscribed to Netflix. Watched and enjoyed The Crown, Maid and Queens Gambit. I am looking for suggestions of Netflix series that don't have too much violence and vulgar language. What suggestions?

Schitt's Creek! Hilarious.

I understand your point. Most of the older shows did have some bad acting; I'd say Hitchcock's show was an exception.

The better produced shows of today do feature excellent acting. But there's also a lot of bad acting on the run-of-the mill productions on most networks.

On a related note, I've been catching some old episodes (1961 and 1962) of Gunsmoke (on Paramount network) and am impressed at the quality of the scripts.

I would add The Twilight Zone to an old show with good acting.
Social commentaries that are still relevant today.
You just need to over look the “special effects” [emoji23]

What streaming services do you subscribe to?

Currently we subscribe to Youtube TV, Netflix and PBS Passport (we have pretty much watched everything of interest on PBS Passport). We have just started Netflix so I am mainly interested in good TV series on Netflix without a lot of violence and vulgar language.

Keeping Faith Season 3 is available on Acorn. I really like Eve Myles.

Just Started "The Long Call" on S01E03, Yet another good UK Police drama/procedural. Not sure where it is streaming. Please Google to find out.

Currently we subscribe to Youtube TV, Netflix and PBS Passport (we have pretty much watched everything of interest on PBS Passport). We have just started Netflix so I am mainly interested in good TV series on Netflix without a lot of violence and vulgar language.

BritBox just went on sale. It may have programming not available on PBS. See here https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...le-tv-2021-version-107198-15.html#post2691336

Shows I remember from Netflix that need your criteria would be Call the Midwife, Lost in Space (remake), 30 Rock, Arrested Development, The Good Place, Kim’s Convenience, Jane the Virgin. My daughter says Greys Anatomy and Gilmore Girls.

DW and I have watched the first 3 episodes of “The Shrink Next Door” on Apple TV+. Based on a podcast of the same name, it’s based on the true story of a psychiatrist who slowly infiltrates a patient’s life. It stars Will Ferrell and Paul Rudd, and is decidedly NOT a comedy. We’ve found it compelling, though, and are looking forward to finishing it (there will be 8 episodes in total).

There's a series on PBS called Baptiste, currently in second and final season, season 2.

It's Mystery theater.

It's I believe a British production. The main character is an obsessive former French police detective who specializes in missing children. This season takes place in Budapest, season 1 in Amsterdam.

Anyways being on PBS, they beep out cussing, though the European version probably has cussing.

The character originally debuted on a series called The Missing, which was originally on Starz I believe.

Again, missing children cases and it can be tough to watch but no graphic violence.

Obviously shows a lot of the emotional strain the missing children puts on families.

I don't know how PBS Passport works but I assume you can watch both seasons of Baptiste, any time you want. The finale of season 2 is this Sunday.

The 2 seasons of The Missing are included with Amazon Prime video.

Probably would want to start with The Missing just to have an idea about Baptiste the character but I think just watching the two seasons of Baptiste would be okay too.

Looks like both seasons of The Missing and Baptiste are available on DVD and Blu Ray if you don't subscribe to the streaming services.

https://www.amazon.com/Missing-Blu-ray-James-Nesbitt/dp/B00QMKHM3A

Last edited:
] We have just started Netflix so I am mainly interested in good TV series on Netflix without a lot of violence and vulgar language.

Sadly, that is getting to be a chore in itself. I recently tried a new adult cartoon type show - Inside Job. I don't think 75 seconds max went by without uttering the F word or some other vulgarity. After 10 minutes I turned it off and removed it from my list. I don't have 'virgin ears' but it was just ridiculous and, IMO, shows a shocking lack of imagination on the part of the writers.

Sorry Netflix, I am not going to let you put an outlet for a verbal sewer in my living room.

OTOH, Midnight Mass has caught my attention..... not that everybody has to be a saint. :)

There's a series on PBS called Baptiste, currently in second and final season, season 2.

It's Mystery theater.

It's I believe a British production. The main character is an obsessive former French police detective who specializes in missing children. This season takes place in Budapest, season 1 in Amsterdam.

Anyways being on PBS, they beep out cussing, though the European version probably has cussing.

The character originally debuted on a series called The Missing, which was originally on Starz I believe.

Again, missing children cases and it can be tough to watch but no graphic violence.

Obviously shows a lot of the emotional strain the missing children puts on families.

I don't know how PBS Passport works but I assume you can watch both seasons of Baptiste, any time you want. The finale of season 2 is this Sunday.

The 2 seasons of The Missing are included with Amazon Prime video.

Probably would want to start with The Missing just to have an idea about Baptiste the character but I think just watching the two seasons of Baptiste would be okay too.

Looks like both seasons of The Missing and Baptiste are available on DVD and Blu Ray if you don't subscribe to the streaming services.

https://www.amazon.com/Missing-Blu-ray-James-Nesbitt/dp/B00QMKHM3A

Thank you, I subscribe to PBS passport and I have watched Baptiste. My favorite shows are on PBS Passport (like Call the Midwife, Downton Abbey, etc). I have pretty much watched everything On PBS that is available now that is why I am trying to find decent things on Netflix.

Interesting that Dynasty made the list. One of my neighborhood cohorts and school classmates is one of the main characters in that series. That would be the second successful series that i've had a personal connection to. The first was a buddy of mine dated/married then divorced one of the main Farscape actresses. Its not as big of a world as we think.

Nobody I know has been in a show or movie. My Aunt at age 75->80 got in a Pepsi commercial.

That is as close to fame as I got :LOL:

Thank you, I subscribe to PBS passport and I have watched Baptiste. My favorite shows are on PBS Passport (like Call the Midwife, Downton Abbey, etc). I have pretty much watched everything On PBS that is available now that is why I am trying to find decent things on Netflix.

If you like PBS Passport, I would subscribe to BritBox (recently on sale for $39 for a year) or Acorn.

I am not much for Christmas movies, but there is a Netflix series (8 episodes) that is very clever and heartwarming, "Dash and Lily". About a couple of teenagers in New York connecting over their shared love of books.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm no stranger to using profanity myself but some of these streaming shows liberally use the f-word just because they can, IMO.

I feel the same. I think I will just drop Netflix and try Acorn as someone else suggested.

A little about language in entertainment, and why it should not phase or upset anyone and is not intended to do so. MMDV

Brits do it sensibly as it appears in normal language. Yes folks do use perceived profanity in a normal manner. It is in the eye of the beholder. They are only words after all. I say perceived as I do not fine profanity offensive at all. some folks are more sensitive than others, we understand that, and that is OK. It is not the artist, director or writers fault.

"The Boys" is an exception, lots of profanity and it works, and works well, it is a great show, with one of the best punch lines on US TV. British Gangster shows also use a lot of profanity. That is because the class of folks depicted do also, and UK shows are closer to reality that their American equivalents that are not on HBS or other paid services.

In some areas of everyday life in the UK, it was very normal when I was growing up, we thought nothing of it. I grew up in an upper middle class family and went to a public school in the UK, (Equivalent of Private in the USA) it was normal to use light profanity in everyday conversation. The difference between light and heavy profanity are not so much the words themselves but how they are used. One can use the worst word you can think of as a term of endearment when talking with friends.

George Carlin RIP said it the best and used all words well. Other comedians that I have watched use them to shock, that is not funny at all, I turn them off as they are simply not funny. In fact most US comedians do, Joan Rivers notwithstanding. There are some masters though, Richard Prior comes to mind.

The nice thing about media viewing and listening is the device all have OFF buttons. If one does not like it, one can simply turn them off, or change the channels, a lot easier than complaining about it.

For those who do not like it, that is perfectly OK. Some of us think it it more realistic and more like daily life, HBO and Brit shows think so too. Live and let live.

It’s interesting to me that some people have issues with the language and some violence which to me are usually part of the story.
I personally get tired of the gratuitous sex scenes which add nothing to the story line.
To each their own as they say.

If you like PBS Passport, I would subscribe to BritBox (recently on sale for $39 for a year) or Acorn.

Do Britbox and Acorn have forced ads (like Passport)? Passport is ok, but the interface is pretty clumsy, often you can't skip recaps and intros when you binge watch and they always force some ad or sponsor acknowledgment, albeit usually a short one. I'm not a big fan of paying for subscription and then STILL having to endure ads. Yes, I know, technically it is a "donation", not a subscription.

Back
Top Bottom