BJ's vs Costco vs Sam's Club?

Masquernom

Full time employment: Posting here.
They're in the process to build a BJ's Wholesale Club near us. I guess it's the first in our state. I hadn't heard of them before they started work on this one. For anyone who's been a member of BJ's before, how do they compare to Costco and Sam's Club? We really like our local Costco. We're not a fan of our local Sam's Club.

I have Costco and BJ's, because one of our homes doesn't have a Costco anywhere nearby. And I've had a Sam's Club membership in the past.

I prefer Costco. I feel like their food (especially meat) quality is a bit better, and their gas prices are better too.. But BJ's is pretty good. I don't like Sam's much at all. It's ok, but just didn't do much for us, especially with having the other two places to choose from. Sort of Walmart quality food, and less healthy choices.

I would recommend getting a one month membership, which BJ's usually offers. Try the things you usually buy, and see how they compare according to your tastes. I see no real reason to have both memberships, unless you have a two (or more) home situation like we do. Plus my DD shares our Costco membership since she lives near one, and her shopping helps build up cash back which pretty much pays for the membership.

Several years ago we used Groupons to join both Costco and BJs. We spent the year making multiple visits to each, really exploring their offerings aisle by aisle, comparing prices, sampling house brand items, etc. We determined pretty early on that Costco just wasn't for us. They didn't carry enough products that we buy regularly. Also we found that while BJs tends to have 2 or 3 normal size packages of a product packaged together, Costco is more likely to have 1 super large package of the product. That doesn't work for us because either we don't have the space for it or/and it would go bad before we used it all. BJs also had the advantage of being more conveniently located. They didn't have a gas station at the time but have since added one which is another bonus as they have the lowest price in town usually by about 10 cents.

At the end of the year, we dropped Costco and have continued our BJs membership ever since and we shop there about once a month to stock up on the items we get there.

I'd recommend seeing if there is a Groupon for membership to one or both of them. Also check things like the Money Mailer or ValuPak coupons that come to the house as they sometimes have a discount offer, too. Spend time comparing the two and see which is best for the stuff you buy and the way you shop. We've never been to Sam's Club as we don't have one close enough to be practical but compare them too if you've got one nearby.

I heard that Walmart is going to offer another of their personal brands that is a higher quality of food items than Great Value. I think it will be in Sams’ Club also.

I can’t say much more than that. There isn’t a Sam’s club within a 10 hour drive of me. BJ’s would be several days drive. There are three Costcos, all well under a 30 minute drive.

Like harley, I have both Costco and BJs because we live in two locations and one has Costco and one has BJs.

Costco:
- I prefer Costco. I like the Kirkland brand for many things, and we find lots of non-food items that catch our eye (including two mattresses which I love).
- Everything is bulk. If there's only two of you, you won't buy many perishables there....
- Always packed with people. No matter which Costco I go to....

BJs:
- We don't find as many non-food items that catch our eye at BJs.
- As disneysteve mentioned, I often find some smaller packages of food items at BJs that you'd never find at Costco.
- In our town, the BJs is always pretty empty. Rarely have to wait in line for anything,

I'd agree with other suggestions - try both for a year. You will see which one fits your needs and desires...because although they may carry a lot of the same "bulk" things, brands are different and they carry a lot of different non-food items.

I did Costco when you could pay a premium without a membership... and have walked thru ours here a few times just to look...

Costco gas seems to be about the same price as Sam's but the lines are WAY longer...

Prices for non-food items were always higher at Costco.... and this was comparing similar items...

Prices for food items were higher... from what others here say there is better quality at Costco but I have no problems with Sam's quality..

BJs is not even close... like 500 miles from here...

We currently belong to all three, but just rejoined Costco in March.

I like BJs best in that the quantities and sizes fit us better as a retired couple and BJs was closest to our Florida condo. However, Costco will be closest to our new home in Texas so I think we'll get rid of BJ's (none nearby) and Sam's Club (joined via a Groupon and it's ok, but nothing special).

The most redeeming quality of Sam's Club is 5% off all gas with the Sam's Club credit card.

I like Sam's because with a Plus membership you can shop at 8am, and it's nearly empty. My motto is "an hour before noon is worth two after."

I think the offerings are similar. There are a few things at each that aren't at the other. Gas is the same price. Our Sam's has a butcher shop where you can ask for special cuts etc. Dairy's similar, produce is nearly identical. I think Sam's might be a couple cents cheaper on things that both carry, like peanut butter.

We have both because when we travel, there's usually one or the other nearby. There are about 600 of each in the US.

DW says she likes Costco better, but can't really say why. She thinks the rotisserie chickens are better; I can't tell the difference.

I like Sam's website better. You can tell what's available in your local warehouse, whereas it's harder with Costco's. At least it used to be.

We only have access to Sams and Costco. We keep both memberships because there isn't complete overlap. We need both to get good prices on all the things we usually purchase. Having said that, Costco is the one we would keep if we only could have one or the other but YMMV.

Never heard of BJs before. Looked it up. They are in
  • Connecticut.
  • Delaware.
  • Florida.
  • Georgia.
  • Maine.
  • Maryland.
  • Massachusetts.
  • New Hampshire.
Explains why as there is nothing out west as these all seem to be in the eastern time zone.

I became a member of Costco when they first opened in my area in 2000. Since then I have been a few times to Sam's and BJ's for comparison. I even had a one year membership at BJ's a couple of times but they never could compare to Costco in a number of ways. Both the Sam's and BJ's stores in my area are like cheap knockoffs compared to Costco and not nearly as clean or organized.
From 2000 to 2024 BJ's stock went from about $20 to $88/share, no idea about Sam's Club, and Costco went from $65 to $845. Seems like there is confidence in Costco's business model.

When I worked near a Costco I shopped there.

For about the last 10 years we've used BJs, which was built just around the corner, about 5 minutes drive. It so happens there is an Aldi in the same center, so we food shop there once a week (sorta).

I can't say for sure that one is better than the other for us. But I think most Costco diehards would not want to change.

One thing I recall from Costco, was that I always spent more, because they had many more things in the aisles. So I would buy items not on the list. I don't do that much at BJs. I was working when I shopped Costco, and now I am not, so that colors my thoughts.

• Connecticut.
  • Delaware.
  • Florida.
  • Georgia.
  • Maine.
  • Maryland.
  • Massachusetts.
  • New Hampshire.
Explains why as there is nothing out west as these all seem to be in the eastern time zone.
That’s not a complete list since we have them in NJ and I know they are in PA too.

I have both here in Tennessee(no BJs), but recently let my Costco expire. There is only one Costco here and it is so packed you have a hard time finding parking and the isles are filled with people. I go to this Costco in a good mood and leave in a bad mood due to the crowds. I like their selection about the same as Sams, but Sams is much easier here to have a good shopping experience.

VW

We have all three in the area. DW likes BJ’s but Sam’s is much closer and we go there more often. I might cancel Sam’s just because of long lines to check receipts at the exit. I‘ve gone into Costco a few times and I didn’t see much difference except the crowds. I would never get in that Costco gas line. BJ's and Costco charge the sam for gas. Sam’s is 9 cents/gal higher for regular. Sam’s premium is more than the surrounding stations per Gas Buddy.

• Connecticut.
  • Delaware.
  • Florida.
  • Georgia.
  • Maine.
  • Maryland.
  • Massachusetts.
  • New Hampshire.
Never even heard of BJ's around here. Thanks for the list.

As far as Costco and Sam's Club, the nearest one is more than 75 miles away. When I lived in Houston there was a Sam's Club about a mile away. I think I went in there once. Never been in a Costco.

Thanks for all the responses. My wife and I both like our Costco, it's about 15 - 20 minutes away. My wife goes past it on her way to the gym she uses, so she won't change. The BJ's they're building is about 5 minutes away and I will pass it daily. So I will get a membership there if for no other reason then gas purchase. Hope the line for gas won't be too long. Costco gas line is pretty busy, but the Sam's club gas pumps in our area are packed.

We belong to both BJs and Costco for now. We joined BJs years ago, and joined Costco in 2022 because we needed new glasses and did not want to pay the prices at the store linked to my ophthalmologist, and also new tires. We're happy with the tire services. The glasses were OK, but they aren't as good as the ones my ophthalmologist's office. Gas prices are better at Costco by a lot. Costco is farther away.

I like BJs best, because it is not as crowded and it is easy to get in and out. The biggest plus for BJs is that the app lets you use your phone as a scanner as you load your cart and check out without going to a register. BJs also lets you in without showing your membership card. They also have food and sundry items I frequently use. In another year or two we may decide to drop one of the memberships.

BJs is in Pennsylvania and they are moving to a property very close to our house (5 minutes). Costco is also opening a new store near us-about 10 minute drive away. We'll see how they both shape up after they move in, then decide.

Any Philly area folks here who remember Makro? Makro may be the first ever warehouse club. It started in Amsterdam in 1968 and came to the US in the early 80s. Unlike today's clubs that let anyone join, to become a member of Makro you had to own a business and present your business license. The store had 2 sections - a food section and a general merchandise section. In order to gain access to both sections you needed to show that your business warranted that. So if you had a flower shop, for example, you could get into the merchandise half but not the food half. My dad had an accounting firm and told them that he needed to buy snacks and supplies for the break room so they gave him access to both areas. Things were sold basically at wholesale prices, well below normal retail. It was great.

Not sure but IIRC, the gas sold at Costco's does have the extra detergent in there vs not at BJ's, which supposedly makes a difference over time affecting the car.

Not sure but IIRC, the gas sold at Costco's does have the extra detergent in there vs not at BJ's, which supposedly makes a difference over time affecting the car.
Yes, not sure about BJ’s but Costco is Top Tier gas.

From their website:
IMG_1095.jpeg
IMG_1094.jpeg

Costco (and for us, to a lesser extent, Sams) makes living in Hawaii much more affordable. Most grocery items, clothes and misc. items are 1/3 to half the price of other stores, so whichever you choose, you save a lot of money in the Islands. YMMV

That's interesting information. While I was fully retired, I bought almost all of my gas from Costco. Now that I'm working part time, it's not convenient, so I've been purchasing gas from a local, non-major station. I did a bit of googling after seeing your post. Sounds like Costco is one of the best, BJ's not so much. The question is if that really makes much difference to an average modern auto? If I'm driving a Porsche needing 93 octane and costing a lot, maybe I'd be concerned. I'll have to do a bit of research and see if someone makes a bottle of additive to add to lower quality gas to bring it up to a higher standard each fill up.

Back
Top Bottom