Breast cancer

My best to you lady. Compliments to Frank for being a pillar of strength when you need it.

Watching you over the years has shown me that a calm mind is something to aspire to, and one doesn't have to be married to have a rock solid life partner. Thank you for both of those, and I'm hoping for an outcome that has you with us for many more years.

Had to look up the terminology of T4b. I just went through this as well, from the initial abnormal screening mammogram in January, to additional mammogram with ultrasound, to a needle core biopsy under local anesthesia by the radiologist, to a SAVI scout locator placed under local anesthesia, to a breast lumpectomy under general anesthesia by a breast oncology surgeon on May 3rd. It was a relief to finally have the tumor removed.

I am confused by your terminology of “metastasis.” Perhaps you mean invasive or infiltrating tumor, since metastasis means a tumor at a distance from the primary one. Please update us on your progress, if you feel able to share. We are all rooting for you and are concerned about you.

I am confused by your terminology of “metastasis.” Perhaps you mean invasive or infiltrating tumor, since metastasis means a tumor at a distance from the primary one. Please update us on your progress, if you feel able to share. We are all rooting for you and are concerned about you.
Yes, that is exactly what metastasis means. Numerous tumors were found at a distance from the very large primary tumor. According to my doctor it has metastasized (his word, not mine!) and spread beyond my breast. I don't know how to make it any clearer.

Last edited:
Just seeing this. Best of luck to you. My mom had breast cancer and she lived until 95. All cases are different obviously but hopefully your case is manageable if not fixable.
+1
Also remember W2R that you are living in the best of times...medically speaking. Even ten years ago things were different. You are in good hands with today's technologies.
+1 One calendar year equals 10 years of medical advancement IMO.
Prayers and best wishes always.

Yes, that is exactly what metastasis means. Numerous tumors were found at a distance from the very large primary tumor. According to my doctor it has metastasized (his word, not mine!) and spread beyond my breast. I don't know how to make it any clearer.
So sorry W2R you’re going through this. I really enjoy having you as a poster and wishing you all the best. If you don’t mind, I am bit confused by metastasis too. Wouldn’t your annual mammogram have picked it up before it would have spread? If not, mammograms may not be as reliable as I think.

Are you trying to cast blame, Letj? If so, that's pretty low. I'm not going to answer except to say that after age 70-75 annual mammograms are no longer universally recommended. Mr. Google is your friend.:blink:

Last edited:
Not at all and certainly didn’t mean to offend. Thanks for the reminder and education. My concern was more around the quality of mammograms completely forgetting that they’re not always suggested.

Reactions: W2R
I am just reading this thread. I am sorry to hear this W2R, about the metastasis and that you are going thru this. Your positivity and outlook on life will serve you well thru your next steps. Not to mention Franks' unwavering support. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Here is what I found for the American Cancer Society’s screening recommendation for women at average breast cancer risk:
Women 45-54 should get a mammograms every year
Women 55 and older can switch to a mammogram every other year, or they can chose to continue yearly mammograms

One of my pet peeves is the often conflicting, and often changing guidance for all sorts of cancer screenings. Here’s an example of both, as this conflicts with the American Cancer Society guidance posted above. It leaves the consumer confused and at the mercy of their insurance company, which can change what it covers. W2R, wishing you all best in what you’re going through.

On April 30, 2024, the United States Preventative Services Task Force (USPSTF) updated their recommendations for breast cancer screening . They now recommend that all women get screened every other year starting at age 40 and continuing through age 74.
Before April 30, 2024, the USPSTF recommended breast cancer screenings starting at age 50 through age 74.

W2R is being very brave and forthright in sharing her diagnosis with all of us and I think we should focus here on supporting her and her future, rather than try and put the blame on anyone for the situation she finds herself in.

By all means we can start threads about cancer and other health screenings but in my opinion this is not the thread to do that.

Mammograms miss tumors sometimes. A month after a friend of mine had one she felt a lump during a self examination. In fact she had two tumors that the mammograms missed.

W2R, I have had a couple of friends survive stage 4 cancer. One lived another 20 years. I’m glad you have Frank to help you through this process and you love your retirement so much. Here’s to the happiest retiree having many more happy years:)).

W2R is being very brave and forthright in sharing her diagnosis with all of us and I think we should focus here on supporting her and her future, rather than try and put the blame on anyone for the situation she finds herself in.

By all means we can start threads about cancer and other health screenings but in my opinion this is not the thread to do that.

+100

W2R, this is your journey. Connecting with similar journeys will help you. This diagnosis came less than a week ago. Good wishes will always be there. I was told several times during my BC journeys (2 so far), a positive attitude is 99% of the battle. That advice from medical professionals seems simple, sometimes impossible. You may find comfort here:
It is one day at a time.

Mammograms miss tumors sometimes. A month after a friend of mine had one she felt a lump during a self examination. In fact she had two tumors that the mammograms missed.
Thank you, Terry. My dear dear friend’s two tiny tumors completely eluded mammography and palpation and had metastasized before they finally presented as T4b (like W2R’s situation). I am sorry some people are so insensitive to our dear W2R at this time. Hugs and good thoughts to her now as always.

W2R,

I’m getting caught up on posts and I just saw this today. I appreciate you sharing this with us. I’ll be hoping for the best for you and keeping you in my thoughts.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

So sorry to hear this news. CANCER SUCKS. My wife found herself a T-Shirt... Cancer picked on the wrong Chick..

That's true, I did! And Jeanne Calmant lived to 122 years old, so I can't quit now. :LOL:
Yeh, i always loved that story about JC. I'm sure you know she "sold" her Paris apartment via a program that allowed her to live there, without costs, until death. She outlived the purchaser.

Biopsy tomorrow at 7:15 AM (groan!). That was the only appointment they had available for the next month, oh well. My guess is that I'll probably be sleeping for a long time once I get home. :2funny:
Good wishes your way.

I, for one, prefer an early procedure time. It’s rough, but you get it over with. And, if you have to be fasting, you’re not starving until afternoon. Plus, morning appointments generally go off on time. They run into issues during the day pushing back the later appointments.

Thanks, DTail and MissMolly and everybody.

Good points, Jerry1! I really DO want to get this over with, so maybe this early-in-the-day appointment will be for the best.

No starving, they actually want me to eat first. I can't imagine why. Anyway I will have one Dunkin Donuts muffin and nothing else for breakfast, as usual. Love those muffins! :giggle:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom