Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made my first costco run since early march. Place was a ghost town. Prices mostly seem to be in check. The meat selection was very thin, with some odder seafood and some of the cheese spread out across the empty space. Some varieties of shredded cheese were gone, as was most of the pre sliced cheese. Lots of spot shortages in the cleaning aisle, although I scored a vat of clorox spray cleaner (second to last one). Flour and rice were available in sacks. No hand sanitizer or disposable gloves. I also saw an odd offering I have never seen before, a bulk 20# box of regular (non-organic, not made of quinoa, not unicorn-safe) spaghetti. I was very restrained and only bought one.

I also saw an odd offering I have never seen before, a bulk 20# box of regular (non-organic, not made of quinoa, not unicorn-safe) spaghetti. I was very restrained and only bought one.

Oh man...... I hate that not unicorn-safe stuff! :yuk:

I'll be glad when this virus BS is behind us and unicorn-safe goodies are available again!

Oh man...... I hate that not unicorn-safe stuff! :yuk:

I'll be glad when this virus BS is behind us and unicorn-safe goodies are available again!

I keep putting in for a unicorn tag, but it seems a lot of hunters want the opportunity.

Save the chubby unicorns.

Attachments

• rhino.jpg
    rhino.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 176
Currently,PA minimum price of milk set by Commonwealth of PA Milk Marketing board is $3.89/gallon.
Ahhh... I had forgotten about "The Commonwealth". Too bad I remember. I still remember the days of wine, liquor only in state stores and cases of beer and kegs only at distributors.

Could be worse, when we turned 21 we moved to Kansas before liquor by the drink! I remember going to drink cheap 3.2 beer with the guys after paydays.

Bad memories all the way! [emoji56]

We went to Costco Friday and did not buy meat or chicken as it is almost 2 x the price as Aldi. Aldi is our preferred grocery shop. We seem to be buying less and less food at Costco. We find ourselves only going there for Hardware and Electronics as of late.

Aldi's Boneless Chicken Breasts were $1.49 a pound this week and pork loins were $2.75 a pound.

Wow! Can’t get boneless chicken breast around here for those prices, even at Walmart. Under 2 bucks only gets you bone-in. The nearest ALDI is 6 hours away!

Wow! Can’t get boneless chicken breast around here for those prices, even at Walmart. Under 2 bucks only gets you bone-in. The nearest ALDI is 6 hours away!

Really ?
Where approximately are you in the MidWest ?

Here Walmart curbside pickup is:

Freshness Guaranteed Boneless Chicken Breasts Family Pack, 4.7 - 6.25 lb
$9.83 avg price per pack

Actual price is: $1.99/LB

It's been this price for about 4 years at Walmart.

We did our first curbside pickup at the neighborhood Walmart this morning. Just a few things we'd run out of, mostly dairy.

Ordering via app was easy, and I got an email saying the order was ready to pick up. The email had a link to the app, which had a button to tell them "you are on your way." The problem was, a) the app said the order was still being worked on, and b) the button didn't work! There was absolutely no connection to the store.

We went to the store anyway, parked in the pickup stall (where others were being served) and there was a sign with a phone # to call for pickup. So it looks like the app is just window dressing. I was about to call the number, when a Walmart employee came to the car and asked for our last name. She went back in the store and returned with our order, minus a couple items that were out of stock (I had expected that).

Now this is a small Walmart, with only 6 or 7 pickup stalls. What happens at the big Walmarts, with dozens of stalls, if the app doesn't work? I guess we'd need to call the number and describe our car?

Now this is a small Walmart, with only 6 or 7 pickup stalls. What happens at the big Walmarts, with dozens of stalls, if the app doesn't work? I guess we'd need to call the number and describe our car?

The app has always worked for us, but the phone# is what we would use as a back-up if it didn't.

Our grocery store doesn't use an app, they text us the order is ready and we text them what spot we're parked in when we arrive.

We did our first curbside pickup at the neighborhood Walmart this morning. Just a few things we'd run out of, mostly dairy.

Ordering via app was easy, and I got an email saying the order was ready to pick up. The email had a link to the app, which had a button to tell them "you are on your way." The problem was, a) the app said the order was still being worked on, and b) the button didn't work! There was absolutely no connection to the store.

We went to the store anyway, parked in the pickup stall (where others were being served) and there was a sign with a phone # to call for pickup. So it looks like the app is just window dressing. I was about to call the number, when a Walmart employee came to the car and asked for our last name. She went back in the store and returned with our order, minus a couple items that were out of stock (I had expected that).

An unhappy experience for you and on the first pick-up too :facepalm: I have used Wal Mart alone since early March and haven't had one single problem with the app working properly it's been perfect. Perhaps if are willing to try again, delete the app and then reinstall it. Could it have been a problem with cell phone coverage or something else ? But you can talk to a live person by using the exclusive pick up number.

Bath towel shortage at my local Walmart here in eastern Pa. Very slim pickings. Why? Are people using them instead of more expensive 'beach' towels to sit around the pool?

I like that the instacart shopper sends texts with possible substitutions as they shop . Does Walmart do that ?

Will try this next time, maybe in a few weeks. We don't go all that often, and the BJs run is coming up week after next.

It all worked out in the end, because the pickup lady was on the ball.

Perhaps if are willing to try again, delete the app and then reinstall it. .

I like that the instacart shopper sends texts with possible substitutions as they shop . Does Walmart do that ?

When you send in your WM order you can choose whether or not you will accept a substitute for each item. So if you want a specific item and don't want it substituted you would uncheck the block that allows substitutions. If that item is out you just don't get it and the cost of your order is reduced by that item. If you allow substitutions you don't know what the substitute will be until the end and you can't approve it. (no texts by your shopper). But in my experience the substitute is always close (maybe a larger jar or something) and usually it is a pricier item. If you get a less expensive substitute what you owe goes down but if you get something more expensive your price does not go up. I know there are people who play a game--they always order the smallest cheapest item hoping they will get a substitute for a larger more expensive item and often they do. It is costing WM to do the substitutions this way but I guess they still make plenty of $$.

When you send in your WM order you can choose whether or not you will accept a substitute for each item. So if you want a specific item and don't want it substituted you would uncheck the block that allows substitutions. If that item is out you just don't get it and the cost of your order is reduced by that item. If you allow substitutions you don't know what the substitute will be until the end and you can't approve it. (no texts by your shopper).

On our WM substitutions I get a message on the app an hour or two before my pick up time showing me what was substituted and the replacement product. Once I arrive for pick up, the WM employee confirms I am OK with the substitutions (and details what they were if I wish), and will remove any item I don't want.

Since there is no risk, I always allow substitutions on every item.

On our WM substitutions I get a message on the app an hour or two before my pick up time showing me what was substituted and the replacement product. Once I arrive for pick up, the WM employee confirms I am OK with the substitutions (and details what they were if I wish), and will remove any item I don't want.

Since there is no risk, I always allow substitutions on every item.

On my WM app I usually do not get notified about the substitutions until I am at the pick up (I never get notified an hour ahead). If I reject the item at pick up it is a hassle and takes a while since they have to go through every bag to find it (I usually have a very large order) so if it is an item where I really don't want a substitute I uncheck the box and disallow substitutions.

Has anyone used curbside pick up at Lowes Food Store? I am going to my NC mountain house next week (quarantine finally lifted) and that is the closest grocery and I am trying to figure out how curbside pick up works there. Thanks.

On my WM app I usually do not get notified about the substitutions until I am at the pick up (I never get notified an hour ahead). If I reject the item at pick up it is a hassle and takes a while since they have to go through every bag to find it (I usually have a very large order) so if it is an item where I really don't want a substitute I uncheck the box and disallow substitutions.

Well funny I get an email as soon as they start picking my orders telling me if I have a sub...and at our store a bag with a substitute has a big orange sticker on it saying "substitute" item. Must vary by Walmart store I feel lucky..

As others have said, no.
BUT Walmart also charges the same price in the store for things, even get a reduced price if it went down after I had ordered it days before.
AND
Walmart does not charge anything extra for all this extra curbside effort.
No Tips allowed. :)

I order on my big computer at the website.
Then on the day it's ready they email me, and I turn on the phone and open the app to say click "I'm coming".

I don't have phone data, so the "I coming" click goes via my internet which gets dropped as I drive away. But when I get there, the app says they lost connection so phone them (and it gives the phone number) which is the same as on the sign.

Went to Walmart today. Got there at 6:50am. 2nd in line.
There were 8 canisters of Clorox/Lysol and 4 cans of Lysol disinfectant spray. Took one of each. It was all gone 10 minutes later.
Still can't find Tuna in oil anywhere. Seems odd.

Went to Walmart today. Got there at 6:50am. 2nd in line.
There were 8 canisters of Clorox/Lysol and 4 cans of Lysol disinfectant spray. Took one of each. It was all gone 10 minutes later.
Still can't find Tuna in oil anywhere. Seems odd.

Sounds like you are going through what we in NY went through about six weeks ago. Things here have pretty much gone back to normal as far as stocked shelves. Bleach, Lysol, toilet paper, pasta, ect all seem to be back in supply. Everyone wears a mask in the stores though.

Stopped by a "Super Walmart" here in Texas yesterday. Fully stocked and crowded...

Less than 20% of the customers were wearing masks... Just an example of why Texas is seeing an increase in CV cases and are now beginning to roll back our re-openings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom